Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Systems

Alright, here's a question.

What do you guys think works best for an air system? A full face helmet with mask or a open face helmet with mask. I have looked at tiger performance and racing-images offerings. What are people using and what are the advantages and disadvantages. I noticed the price isn't cheap so buying it once is enough. There seems to be a fairly large price difference between the SRP and the Tiger systems. However, with the way the dollar is, it is much better than years ago.

What do you think the split is for each system? Just from the amount of video I have been watching lately, it appears that more racers are using the open face with mask. I tend to think your visibility would be better with the mask vs the full face. Thoughts?

Dave

Air

Hey Dave,
    I have talked to a few guys about this. Both systems work. But a lot of guys say that they don't like the full face helmet because of the way it seals around your neck. Tiger perf. has some nice stuff... no doubt about it.. but who has 4 thousand dollars for for that right now... I know I don't. I read the rules and you are allowed to use certain military advanced flight helmets and they can be bought on e bay significantly cheaper. You may have to do some modifying to add your air supply but your local scuba shop can help you with that and you will still be getting away cheaper. Don't try to cut to many corners to save cash... that helmet could save your life.
    Cheers
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Comment

Thanks for that Sonny. Ya the sticker shock on the Tiger Performance stuff really caught me off guard.

How did you make out with the boat sale?

Dave

Comment

Boat sale

Boat are a tuff sale right now, and I knew that going in. Toys in general are a soft market right now. Lots of people afraid of the economy. I approach all of my little projects like they are keepers, so it never hurts my feelings to keep them and use the stuff myself. It is funny that You should be were you are with your project because that is were I got jammed up also. I got serious sticker shock when I got into pricing the safety gear for an inboard....Fire suit, capsule suit, air supply. 4/5 point harness, federal flight and aviation physical every year, capsule training. I mean holy smokes. I would love to go and race 5 liter but I don't see how it is possible to do without big sponsorship. Truth be told, that is the only reason that I am considering parting with the Staudacher.
        Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most.

Comment

My opinion is the safest is the full face helmet/air system. I have seen many an accident where the helmet and mask combination failed. It depends on the cockpit design and rather it has a break away lid or not. In this cockpit design a helmet/mask combo may not stay on your face. A little about physicals. APBA's dot physicals are good for 24 months. I used a FAA 3 class medical, it is good for 36months if under 40 and 24 months for those over 40, same as the APBA dot physical. Have never has a problem other than the people at the race have no clue about FAA physicals I, II or III.

Comment

What type of Helmet system is most widely used? What are you using?

Dave

Comment

I am not endorsing any manufactures system here. Just want to provide my personal obsurvations. I used the Security Race Products SA11 mask plus helmet. I began to question the mask/hemet combo when a GP/UL driver friend of mine was involved in a accident. He accounted the system failed, and if he was going to continue to drive these boats it would only be with a full face system with the modified hans restraint. I have herd of at least two other accounts, a pro outboard driver, and another UL/GP driver where the helmet/mask combo did not provide air when needed because it did not hold up to the stresses of the accident. Each accident is different with different circumstances. No system is fool proof in every accident, but I believe there is an improved chance with the full face helmet/air systems.

Comment

Working...
              X