Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miami Marine Stadium: Eyesore or worth saving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami Marine Stadium: Eyesore or worth saving?

More...

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

I lived in Miami for a few years, before hurricane Andrew, and used to go over to the marine stadium and visualise racing there.

It was a dump, even then. Looking at the "current photos" it has obviously gotten worse

http://www.marinestadium.org/index.p...les&album_id=6

It has been condemned property for 17 years and it has been 20+ years scince a boat race of any type was held there. Probably the 1960's or even the 50's scince a small outboard class was raced there.

Even if they restored it, it is salt water and one end is open to the bay which has massive amounts of large boat traffic including cruise ships, oceangoing barge traffic, and lots and lots of pleasure boats of every size.

I dont see "clamp on" style racing ever returning there.

That kind of high profile facility would get snapped up by the offshore crowd in a split second though.

BW
    302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

I spent a lot of my youth hanging out at the stadium watching racing. I sure hope I`m wrong, but I don`t ever foresee racing returning to the stadium. If it does get rebuilt, it would be for other entertainment uses. Here`s a little report of a save the stadium meeting that I went to back in January. By the way, I use to do the starting line clock and flags back in the 1980`s for the now long defunct Florida Inboard Racing Club there at the stadium. Big cracks were indeed there in the stadium a few years before hurricane Andrew.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15733...Marine+Stadium

Comment

I remember ESPN used to show OPC racing from their back in the early 80s.
        Bob

Comment

Miami Stadium

John- Thanks for the pictures. Your shots from under the seating are show it will almost take a complete rebuild. Salt water sure isn't any help. Keep us informed.
          ye olde desert geezer Al

Comment

Working...
          X