New Hulls? Where? Who? How?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hulls? Where? Who? How?

If one wanted to build a competitive hull these days rather than or in addition to purchasing an existing team, what is available? On the outside looking in there is simply no information about these boats. My friend Jeff Maurer just bought Josh Carlton's #77 so he can get started. If we wanted to begin preparing another hull, are there kit or plans available? How do people acquire what they have? Someone has to be building.

Hulls and such

HI,
    If you look on the main web page left hand side. You will see a spot " top left corner" that says main menu. Under that you will see a link called Hulls and hardware list.

It might be better to post which classes you are interested in and then someone can chime in with who to contact for a new hull, or who has kits or plans for sale.
    Like MJR for plans, Sorenson for kits or complete hulls. B&H also for complete hulls.
    Last edited by 26V; 09-03-2009, 11:23 AM. Reason: added some builders
    Gene Schertz 26V
    TEAM CAFFEINE
    Cranked up and ready to Roll
    Reeds for Speed!

Comment

Look on the home page of this site (left side) find main menu click on hulls and hardware. That will get you to the right people, make sure you check out Darrel Soresens stuff. www.boatracingr11.com/sorensenmain.htm

Comment

mhammer look at your other post and the one by tbrooks also in the inboard section. Like I said previously if you are looking for a new inboard hull going to race is probably a good starting point. Builders on the East Coast that I know of are Scott Liddycoat in Virgina, Larry Lauterbach in Maryland, Bert Henderson in Ontario, and Claude Bergeron in Quebec. There are a couple of builders in Michigan but I don't know their names off the top of my head. Henderson and Liddycoat are both on the Inboard Yahoo Group so post a question there to get contact info. Henderson and Liddycoat are you best bets if you are looking for a 1 or 1.5 liter. Henderson I know has sold kits in the past if you don't want a completed hull.
        Last edited by pakman; 09-03-2009, 11:29 AM.
        Rolling Thunder Racing
        Hydroplane Quebec
        Grand Prix Hydroplane

Comment

26v and Islandmon... he's looking for inboards.
          Fralick Racing
          Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Go to goboatracing.net

Thats Inboard Country, find a local guy in your region and ask whats out there.

Comment

Inboard racing has become very regionalised.

My first area of concern is if you live in an area where they actually race these kinds of boats. That is CA,OR,WA the Canadian/US border states, and the hotbed of Inboard racing: Del/Mar/VA.

Or are you willing to travel regularly to these areas to go play?

I have seen one too many posts through the years that go like this:

Hi! I just bought a Jersey Speed Skiff and had it shipped to my home here in Louisiana, where is the next race?
              If you live in those areas or are willing to travel the absolute best thing to do is attend the next race near you. There will be plenty of people willing to talk to you about their equipment. Probably stuff for sale too. You will learn alot, and have a good time too.

Good luck.

BW
              302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Hi Brad,

I appreciate that Brad and I suspect you do get a bit of that but I live in the Ohio/Indiana/Kentucky area. Literally where the 3 states come together. Madison, Evansville, Dayton, Hillsboro, Rocky Fork. There's a lot of boat racing around here. Heck, the APBA driver school was even held right up the road in Dayton, Ohio. Yes, I am a traveler so thats not a problem. So, back to my question. I'm interested in the 1.0 litre, 1.5 and 2.5 classes of inboard hydro racing but it seems like you have to buy in to an existing boat. There doesnt seem to be any available kits or plans to build from new. My friend just bought a boat in this class but we think we'd like to have a hull on the boards. I've built a wooden Experimental aircraft airframe and have worked with a fair amount composites having built carbon fiber parts and even a vinyl ester fuel cell so we certainly feel like this is within our scope, it just seems like no one is doing it.
                Last edited by mhammer; 09-04-2009, 03:41 AM.

Comment

Sounds like you have some skills there and are looking for a challenge. The inboarders dont really look at this site much so I dont know how much input you will get here.

But I do know that Robin Shane, Inboard Competition Director, will know exactly who you should be talking to. The Shane family has taken a leadership role in developing Inboard racing for a number of years.

Besides that, they are really nice people too.

Your project sounds like fun. Please post updates with photos as you move forward. The interests on this site cover all forms of the sport of powerboat racing.

Every time I go to an inboard race I am suprised at the number of friends and families I see from other divisions of racing just being a spectator for a day or weekend.

gl
                  Brad Walker
                  302SSH.....Putting the Stock back in Stock Outboard

Comment

Originally posted by mhammer View Post
                    it just seems like no one is doing it.
                    Did you read the other posts? There are many people that have plans for inboards, can build you an inboard, sell kits for inboards, ect. I hope you find what you are looking for but I'm a little frustrated that I and others have given some useful info and you keep asking who to contact. People are doing it.
                    Last edited by pakman; 09-04-2009, 05:35 AM.
                    Rolling Thunder Racing
                    Hydroplane Quebec
                    Grand Prix Hydroplane

Comment

Yes I read the other posts. The links took me to little hydros for outboard racing. The little kneeling boats. I'm looking for something appropriate for 1.0, 1.5 and 2.5 liter enclosed inboard classes. I do appreciate the reply though. I have a couple names to contact and that'll get me started. We travel today to go get Josh's 2 liter #77 from Plymouth, Indiana. I heard he hit something small at the last race and the hull will need a little work to get it back on the water. I'm excited for my friend who bought the rig.

Comment

Working...
                      X