Hydrobout fins come to Inboard Flatbottom Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydrobout fins come to Inboard Flatbottom Racing

Here's some pictures of Dave Villwock's Super Stock which sports two interesting changes; a hydrobout fin on the left side, and a behind-the-transom rudder.

This thing is a ROCKET: broke the Pro Stock 1-1/4 mi comp record last week at Moses Lake, and smashed the 1 mile SS comp record at Lawrence Lake 2 weeks ago by 10+ mph.

Needless to say, they're talking about outlawing some of these changes in the class....

R-19
    Attached Files
    www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

I like it. I just wonder if it makes the boat handle better. I know mine did with the fin on the outside. But they will come up with a rule to get ride of it I'm sure.

Comment

It sure seems to...

Originally posted by spud62w View Post
      I like it. I just wonder if it makes the boat handle better. I know mine did with the fin on the outside. But they will come up with a rule to get ride of it I'm sure.
      The boat runs like it's on rails and is very smooth. It hardly slows down at all in the corners.

The thing that makes this work so well is the entire combination: Between Villwock's overall knowledge on set-up, propellers, machine work and just about all the other facets of the operation, it's really dominating. Dave might not always be the most popular person in the sport, but he's one of the real geniuses in making a race boat run to win.

R-19
      www.gleasonracing.com

Comment

Hey Patrick,
        It's hard to tell from these photos, Is the cockpit / motor offset also ?
        L

Comment

The cockpit is offset; but I don't beleive the motor (or the driveline/shaft) is.

R-19
          www.gleasonracing.com

Comment

Cool photo's. I've always wanted to do a model of this boat. 1/10 scale of course.

Comment

Daves PS Boat

First off let me say I am not a big Villwock fan. I am wondering how you can install that turn fin on a Flat bottom class boat and not go through the rule channels??? I really think that APBA should not allow these records to stand.
              If that were the case then all classes should be allowed to make any change they want and not worry about rules. They are opening a large can of worms here. But I guess cause he is Dave they will allow it to stand.
              Just a few thoughts thanks.
              Racen 7 from region 7
              www.roostertails.net
              boat racing info and pictures.

Comment

I re-call seeing a pic of that set up about a year ago. It was sitting on a trailer in the pits at a race. If it was legal then, why would it be illegal now?

Comment

Who told you it was legal then? Did they run it back then?
                  Again these are just questions that I have asked. No real offical or APBA rep has responded.
                  Racen7 Region 7
                  www.roostertails.net
                  boat racing info and pictures.

Comment

Read the rule book. If the boat meats all of the rules of that class it must be legal. Now they can change rules to outlaw such things, but I think that would fall under the stock outboard category to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by spud62w View Post
                      Read the rule book. If the boat meats all of the rules of that class it must be legal. Now they can change rules to outlaw such things, but I think that would fall under the stock outboard category to do that.
                      those crazy side fins...

Comment

Does this violate rule 49.15 (inboard) rule #1 ? even though it is still a monoplane hull,
                        these are hulls with with one main supporting or riding surface that displaces water,
                        the rule states no other devices are allowed to shift support to other than one main supporting or riding surface. When the boat is in a turn, the fin would for sure be a riding surface and be displacing water.

Skid fins seem so logical, why aren't all runabouts using them?

Comment

turn fin

GO Dave !!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X