Bill Roberts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts passed away October 23, 2008.

Many of you will remember Bill as a very quiet and intelligent person. Bill was a mechanical & electrical engineer. He was in charge of testing of electrical systems for the US Army on projects such as the M-1 Abrahams Tank. Bill’s passion was designing and building race boats. He designed hulls, many in the 145 & 150 classes. Starting in the fifties and going through the early seventies, he with his brother-in-law Steve Sharp had the Bonanza race team. They won several championships. He started Robert’s Hydroplanes in the seventies, selling kits and complete hulls. His unique “S” bottom design hull enabled Stu Shane to garner seven consecutive National High Point Championships in the late 70’s and early 80’s.

Bill designed and manufactured propellers. When Mercury was giving out propellers to the winners of the National Championship, the only one not to receive one was Stu Shane. Mercury stated that Bill Roberts was the best competitive prop they had seen. Bill was very active within the technical portion of the 145 class engine rules. He served as Technical Chairman for several years. Bill Roberts along with John Ronchetti developed Region 4’s digital clock. This clock is still in use and the design is the base used for many of the digital clocks found around the country. He was also active in the Lions Club. He was in charge of the annual race held in Havre de Grace for many years.

His wife Doris Roberts survives Bill. His first wife Jean Roberts preceded him in 1983. Bill and Jean never had any children. Bill treated Stu and I like his own. We had many nights in his garage working on boats. There are too many stories clouding my mind now. I am sure many of you out there have yours also.

Rest in Peace
    Love Always

Robin & Stu Shane

At the Cambridge races?

This sounds like the gentleman I meet about three or four years ago at the Cambridge races. We were sitting close enough in our lawn chairs watching the races that he could hear that I was confused about the lettering designations on the inboards and he began explaining the classes as they came out to race.

When your name came up in conversation I told him about the sequence of photos you showed me once when you flipped your 1.5 Liter completely over and it landed upright. He said he built that boat and that was the ONLY time one of his boats EVER did that.

Would this have been Bill Roberts?
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

That would be Bill

Yes, Bill designed my boat. It was the only Roberts to flip like that. I can remember going down the straightaway with the right sponson riding high. I asked myself if I should slow down but, then I remember Stu and Bill saying that a Roberts had never flipped.....the color of the leaves in the trees and the color of the sky was very pretty.

Comment

Robin, Could You My Dad The Location Of Mr Johnson He Wanted To Give It To Will Farmer Who Is Greatly Conserned Thanks Dad And Paul

Comment

Also So Sorry To Here About Another Great Boat Builder Passing I Will Tell Dad

Comment

Working...
          X