Lake Ming, 27-27 September, 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lake Ming, 27-27 September, 2008

We lost a good one this weekend, Steve Rawleigh SS/PS driver. Kind of makes our family thankful that we were not able to attend the fall race this year. There will be more details below.

Racer dies at Lake Ming boat drag races
    Fatality at Lake Ming Boat Drags, Bakersfield

NEWS RELEASE
    KERN COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE
    CORONER DIVISION

This news release is prepared under the direction of the Sheriff-Coroner-Public Administrator for the convenience of news reporters. Facts concerning news events of major importance, which occur after the preparation of this release, will be made available to reporters at their request as soon as it is possible to do.

DECEDENT'S NAME: Stephen Todd Rawleigh ; CASE #: C-2154-08
    CITY OF RESIDENCE: Peoria, Arizona AGE: 51 years
    TYPE OF CASE: Boat drags accident
    DATE OF INCIDENT: 09/28/2008 &nb sp; TIME: 0927 hrs
    DATE OF DEATH: 09/28/2008 &nb sp; TIME: 0958 hrs
    PLACE OF DEATH: Kern Medical Center - Emergency Department
    INVESTIGATING AGENCY: Kern County Park Ranger/National Jet Boat Association

Details:The decedent was operating his boat at Lake Ming. For unknown reasons the boat rolled and flipped end to end during a sanctioned race. The decedent lost control of the boat coming out of a turn at about 110 to 115 miles per hour. The boat came to rest upside down. The rescue team removed the decedent to Hall Ambulance who was standing by at Lake Ming during the event. The boat was a 19 foot vessel with a 427 Chevy engine, flat bottom. The decedent was wearing a racing approved helmet and racing suit. He had been properly restrained and wearing a flotation device. The cause of death is pending an autopsy.

Comments:

DONNY YOUNGBLOOD, Sheriff-Coroner

By: Vicki Fennell
    Date: Sunday, September 28, 2008
    Time: 1:55:08 PM
    Last edited by Skoontz; 09-29-2008, 06:35 AM.
    Bill Schwab
    Miss KTDoodle #62C
    -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Boat

My thoughts and prayers are with Steve's family.

Was this boat equipped with an enclosed cockpit?

R-19
    www.gleasonracing.com

"No, THAT is why people hate him."

Comment

Patrick:

To the best of my knowledge, this was an open PS/SS boat. It used to be black with yellow lettering, see it under www.westernprostockracing.com in the 2007 pictures, he is down about 111 place or so.

Surprisingly, there are few of the inboarders in our region who use capsulated boats. , PS 997 and PS 346??? both have capsules, most all are open boats. Tony Scarlata had the capsule removed from his new K-5, you can see progress pictures at BRF. To my knowledge, the only one of the K boats running capsules is on our circuit is Dave Rankin, K-69, "Freedom Child" but there may be one or two more I have not seen.

It's so sad anytime I hear of this no matter where or what....
      Bill Schwab
      Miss KTDoodle #62C
      -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

Patrick;
        Key word CAPSULES
        Someday we will tire of reading these posts of someone who has lost there life doing what they love. Racing associations that care require capsules in all of there boats. The ones that dont care will soon run out of drivers to race there boats cause the will no longer be with us here on earth. These people living in the past will soon not be living at all unless they join the 21 century and put capsules in there boats.
        Thanks Racen7 from region 7
        www.roostertails.net
        boat racing info and pictures.

Comment

Working...
        X