Osprey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osprey

Here's an Osprey I shot going down the ditch while I was on vacation in July.

A high res of the same pic can be found here: http://www.colonialpanama.com/photog/DSC09234.JPG

If you look closely you can see the chics in the pic.
    The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.

New quote for my marathon training:
    Pushing the limits means getting out of your comfort zone.

Great Photo! Do you know how you can tell the difference between a bald eagle (particularly and immature one) and an osprey when they are carring a fish?

An Osprey carries their catch like a torpedo (beak to tail) in their talons. An Eagle carried it's catch sideways (from wing tip t wing tip). Just a fact for the day kind of thing!

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

They are fun to watch when we fish the Clark Fork River every evening. The power companies have tried everything to keep them from building giant nests in the power lines but it don't work.

As you picture shows they build some might big condos for the family.
      Mike - One of the Montana Boys

If it aint fast make it look good

Comment

The cool thing about watching and Osprey carry a fish is generally the mouth of the fish is wide open while in flight and make for an interesting picture. I only have caught this in pictures a few times and they were not the greatest pics I have ever taken.
        The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.

Comment

Ospreys are cool . . .

and so are Bald Eagles. We have plenty of both here in NC. Suggestion: don't get to close to an Osprey nest with your camera - the feathered parental units have been known to go crazy on interlopers. Might ask Steve Dunn about that (flashback to Steve in stalled DMH on the Pasquotank River)
          carpetbagger

Comment

I was not that close but thanks for the tip. I was using a 70-400 lens. It was taken in the Ditch while traveling near Alligator Creek.

Comment

alligator creek?

Originally posted by pirata View Post
              I was not that close but thanks for the tip. I was using a 70-400 lens. It was taken in the Ditch while traveling near Alligator Creek.
              Is that anywhere near the Alligator River? If so, close to my wet stomping ground.
              carpetbagger

Comment

Yes. We were running the ditch on a 38' trawler for vacation. We sailed out of Oriental and went as far north up the ditch to the Albemarle Sound and south through the Pamlico Sound and back to Oriental. Spent 7 days just relaxing. It was a nice trip.

Comment

Originally posted by pirata View Post
                  Yes. We were running the ditch on a 38' trawler for vacation. We sailed out of Oriental and went as far north up the ditch to the Albemarle Sound and south through the Pamlico Sound and back to Oriental. Spent 7 days just relaxing. It was a nice trip.

my dad used to keep a blow boat in oriental.. not much around there. i was born in nc. nice area though
                  Which way was the shiny side supposed to go? Up?

Chris
                  ~322-M~

Comment

Killer shot, looks like he meant business.

Comment

risky business . . .

When the Osprey nest on the top of a nav mark gets a bit hairy the USCG dispatches a crew to trim the overhang that blocks the nav mark. The USCG should issue a combat medal for that duty - Boys in Blue with clippers v. really mad Osprey with talons! It can get ugly . . .
                      carpetbagger

Comment

Yeah, I have heard that utility workers actually barf from the nasty fishy smelling leftovers that get hooked into the snag branches that comprise the nest.

Comment

Originally posted by Allenthefamily View Post
                          Yeah, I have heard that utility workers actually barf from the nasty fishy smelling leftovers that get hooked into the snag branches that comprise the nest.
                          If you want to barf from fishy smells, try sniffing the poop and regurgitated fish at a penquin rookery in Antarctica.
                          !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

UGH ! I work on a dock, the Sea Gulls are bad enough !

Comment

I hafta tell my Osprey story.... We were racing at Sharptown, Md. and there was a nest right underneath the bride we raced under. I decided during the milling phase of CSH I'd take a closer look at the Osprey mom and her nest. Well, I made one close pass and that momma bird (who was huge when you got up close) jumped up and spread out her wings like she was gonna come right down and have me and the boat for lunch!! I thought "holy crap" and squeezed the throttle for all she was worth and got outta there in a hurry, all the time thinking she was gonna chase me over the water. Needless to say I did not disturb here or her nest again!

Chris Johnson
                              111-Z

Comment

Working...
                              X