Savannah, Georgia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Savannah, Georgia

I was in Savannah, Georgia area for a 3-day week-end the same week-end that the OPC Raced there. Never been to Savannah before, and didn’t know the area. We ended up staying east of town on Tybee Island. I knew from Hydroracer that there was a race that week-end.

For years, the race clubs I belong to always post signs around town that we where racing in to PROmote the sport. I didn’t see any advertizing for the race. As a result never did see that race. Maybe the reason we see so little grow is the lack of PROmotion. We all pay additional 5 or 10 bucks so that the divisions can PROmote the sport. So why don’t we spend more of our divisional money on what it was intended for?

You all know, I could have found the race course if I tried, but Savannah was a little dirty and we didn’t enjoy all the traffic (this is from a guy who has spent most of his life in Chicago in traffic). Tybee Island on the other hand was a lot of fun and what a nice ocean beach!

Thats to bad you missed so great racing in the 120 and champ classes.

Comment

Get your head out of it!

Evidently you didn't try hard to find the Champboat race, it was right downtown Savannah, in the Savannah River. At a very clean nice area. The race was staged at the Westin Hotel docks and they are first class. There were articles in the newspaper and flyers at the marinas, boat stores and resturaunts. Savannah is a good sized town, what do you expect a couple thousand $ worth of bilboards. All you had to do was post right here "Where is the Champboat race"?

Comment

deep end

Originally posted by Bob Dunlap View Post
        Evidently you didn't try hard to find the Champboat race, it was right downtown Savannah, in the Savannah River. At a very clean nice area. The race was staged at the Westin Hotel docks and they are first class. There were articles in the newspaper and flyers at the marinas, boat stores and resturaunts. Savannah is a good sized town, what do you expect a couple thousand $ worth of bilboards. All you had to do was post right here "Where is the Champboat race"?
        Many people tour unplanned during the week-end looking for something to do or see. If as a tourist your not available to local newspapers have no access to the net while traveling your only means to learn of local attractions is by local signs, such as “Boat Race” with an arrow showing a direction. The signs are used every week-end for such thing as “Yard Sales”, “Craft Shows”, “Car Shows”, “Bike Race” and even “Boat Races”

It seems to me your going off the deep end by implying that you need to spend thousands of dollars. The signs can be as simple as home made or print up a few from your computer.

Comment

Why Not a Billboard?

Demand and pricing is seasonal; sometimes you can get a deal I know Atlanta Speedway uses them, as does Road Atlanta.
          David Weaver

Comment

Enuf said.

Originally posted by ProHydroRacer View Post
            You all know, I could have found the race course if I tried,
            Well... You said it all right there.

Comment

You guys are going knee jerk again and missing the point as usual...Bill went to Savannah knowing there was a race and never heard or saw local print about it. He was merely pointing out that had he been a tourist who did not know there was a race the only way they might have known about the race was to stumble down to River street and happen upon a race. He was not knocking the race, he was askingwhat we can collectively do better. I always know when the big car races are in town but I can't get the local radio station who offered to sponsor the Raleigh race 2 years ago to actually advertise as promised.
              Before you knock bill boards has anyone priced them??? Anyone got ideas how to get the attention of the radio stations?? or the TV stations for some free publicity?

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
              Tomtall 06

Comment

Kristi's right about Bill's intent. I don't think Bill was trying to be disrespectful or pick a fight. I think he was spot on. As a matter of fact, I cannot tell you how many times back in the 1950's - 70's, when we were pulling the big Quincy Welding race trailer, that those small signs with arrows pointing towards the race got us to the destination (especially when we weren't familiar with the area).

I think a billboard is a good idea as a build up to get local attention and attendance. So are newspapers. Bob's right about that too.

However, racing attendance has dwindled over the years and we need to attract as many newcomers as we can to keep the sport going. What better way, at such a small price, are direction signs to attract people out and about that may not have heard about the races? Without spectators, you don't get enough sponsors to progress the sport the way it really needs to progress. And don't jump me about that statement. All summer I've been hearing, for the most part, that attendance is down. Gas prices going up means attracting local people to the races next year is very important.

One of the nicest race courses & boat racing events I've attended in a long time was this past spring at Lake Wales, FL. I had directions on how to find the place, but if it hadn't have been for the little pointing arrow signs from the main road, I still could be driving around looking for the lake.

I think rather than criticizing Bill for making a valid point, everyone involved in the planning of the next year's races should take his opinion to heart and get out those directional signs. Although I'm not actively involved in racing anymore, my heart still is and I want to see the sport survive.

thanks,

Paul A Christner

Comment

You guys are right, we should be doing all we can to get exposure. The thought occurs to me though, that, while we often use directional signs to guide us racers to the pits, that spectators may not realize that they are invited. Simply adding a "Spectators Welcome" to these signs may dramatically increase the amount of spectator traffic we get through the pits. This may not be as effective as a billboard or newspaper insert, but it still may be beneficial to bringing spectators to the races.
                  Ryan Runne
                  9-H
                  Wacusee Speedboats
                  ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Some forms of advertising doesnt cost as much as one thinks and does get the job done. When I owned a custom wood working bussiness before I retired yea right who ever retires complettely . Anyway I used to have flyers printed up and had a delivery service deliver them. I had Staples print them up using the same add every time cost was 35.00 per thousand. These were on 81/2 by 11 bright colered paper with black print pictures were in black I would tell them what color paper to use. Most towns or cities have a delivery service , mail box stuffers, that deliver on cetain days of the week. The one I used for the Northern Va area (big area) would cover different sections of that area and I had there secdule of where they would be on what day. I would drop off the flyers so they would go where I wanted them to. The cost of the service was 50.00 to deliver a 1000 of them. To me 85.00 was cheap advertising and didnt have to spend much time doing it plus made a good living from all the jobs I picked up from it. I was always going to have some printed up about boat racing just to have hand outs as there is always somebody asking what are those on the trailer when I make stops along the way to and from the races. Alot of people dont even know theres a race going on in a town were are racing at. Just a thought here and not pointing fingers.
                    Destiny is a matter of chance,it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved.

Comment

To be fair to Savannah

Originally posted by ProHydroRacer View Post
                      You all know, I could have found the race course if I tried, but Savannah was a little dirty and we didn’t enjoy all the traffic (this is from a guy who has spent most of his life in Chicago in traffic). Tybee Island on the other hand was a lot of fun and what a nice ocean beach!
                      There is a lot of construction occuring along River Street, which results in a "dirty" appearance and completely snarls traffic that usually is not that bad. Once this construction is done, Savannah should return to its typical charming self.

The Westin is a fine hotel, across the river from downtown proper. It is not necessarily the easiest place to find, if you are not familiar with the City. There is a ton of parking at the hotel and I can see the potential for this be a great race site. There are plenty of good vantage points for spectators and cameras.

Good luck with the race in the future.
                      Last edited by David Weaver; 11-15-2007, 05:55 AM. Reason: typo
                      David Weaver

Comment

Dave

There is a lot of construction occurring along River Street, which results in a "dirty" appearance and completely snarls traffic that usually is not that bad. Once this construction is done, Savannah should return to its typical charming self.
                        ================================================

Oh Dave as usual has his normally upbeat spin. Joyce and I would like to give Savannah another chance. We heard it was a charming city and worth seeing. Can you give us some pointer where to visit next time? We did drive down River Street, traffic on that Friday and it was unbelievable. I actually thought I was near the race course but gave up after a few block (seemed like miles). After we got turned around, the area east of there was a little gamey. What did we miss?

We did visit Fort Jackson, and Fort Pulaski. On Saturday Fort Pulaski fires their big Cannons what a bang! We also walked up the 178 steps into the Lighthouse on Tybee Island, took your breath away! Tybee has a Crab House that worth the trip. And don’t forget Breakfast Dinner in the down town area or the wooden pier extending out in to the ocean.

Oh, by the way, I found all these sites by SIGNS from the road way. I didn't know of any of these places before we left home.
                        Last edited by ProHydroRacer; 11-15-2007, 08:06 AM.

Comment

Are you guys talking about Bay Street or River Street as far as construction goes? I would suggest parking on Bay street and walking down to River Street to go exploring. There are tons of shops and restaurants to peruse through on River Street. I am sure most of my old haunts are gone but I love to hang out down there and watch the ships going down river. There is a lot of historical stuff in the downtown area.

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                          Tomtall 06

Comment

Savannah

Bill,

Give me a "heads up" next time and I will make some suggestions. There are some spotty areas around town, but I really enjoy the core of historic downtown. I suggest paying a visit in the Spring (all the SCAD co-eds will be in shorts and dresses!!). If you want to see a real party, visit on St. Patty's day!! The river turns green.

My co-worker's family owns a place on Tybee that can be rented.

I agree that it is not the easiest place to drive around and that's why I like to walk there.
                            David Weaver

Comment

electronic Bill Boards

Thought….
                              There are more and more electronic Bill Boards at Churches, Banks and Shopping Centers those might be an opportunity to flash a message about an upcoming race at little or no cost.

Comment

Working...
                              X