Osy 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Osy 400

I have a few questions about the OSY 400 class but couldn't seem to find the answers on my own so I will pester you folks.

I would like to know the boat and motor specifications for this class, and can an OSY 400 be run in other sanctioning bodies as another class? If so, we may be in the market for some equipment.

Here is my line of thinking,...
    There are APBA, AOF, and PRO races within 2 hours of my house. One outfit, three sanctioning bodies, lots of racing.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Russ Waterson

sigpic
    SIBLING RIVALRY RACING TEAM

Russ,

I see your from Brooksville, maybe we can get together once you get started. I have been out of racing for over 30 years and decided to get back into it just recently. I bought a Tec-Craft hydro last week and will be picking up a 102 motor soon, for the very reason you are considering the OSY 400, more opportunities with one motor. I plan on concentrating on CSH, but can also run OSY and 20SS with a restrictor plate. In answer to your question, Yes you can run with all the sanctioning bodies. Send me an email if you want to get together or come over a look the boat over.

Phil

Comment

The OSY-400 allows all the Yamato engines (102, 202, and 302) whereas APBA allows only the 102 and 302 in their stock and modified classes. I'm not sure about AOF's policy. Having said that, this class is a great choice and gives you a lot of options on any given race weekend. Should you buy a Yamato 102 or 302 you can run it in APBAC stock hydro (CSH) with a weight requirement and some other classes with a restrictor plate. In AOF and NBRA you can also run CSH. It a good class to be equiped for.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the response. I need to find out the specs on the hulls. Not sure if one hull would work in all classes. My Flyers and Bezoats hulls are B and 25. they would be too small.

So the 102 is a legal motor, how about the 302?

If I can put a package together for a reasonable price I will be very happy.

You are 45 minutes away from me. I will be in touch.

Thanks again!
        RussW.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Stotts View Post
          The OSY-400 allows all the Yamato engines (102, 202, and 302) whereas APBA allows only the 102 and 302 in their stock and modified classes. I'm not sure about AOF's policy. Having said that, this class is a great choice and gives you a lot of options on any given race weekend. Should you buy a Yamato 102 or 302 you can run it in APBAC stock hydro (CSH) with a weight requirement and some other classes with a restrictor plate. In AOF and NBRA you can also run CSH. It a good class to be equiped for.
          Thank you for the help!

I believe I may finally retire the Merc stuff.

Any ideas on hull specs?

Thanks again!!

sigpic

Comment

Yes, the 102 and 302 are legal engines. I mentioned that in my previous post. Get with Phil. He has just bought a great boat.

Comment

Originally posted by aojesus View Post
              Thanks for the response. I need to find out the specs on the hulls. Not sure if one hull would work in all classes. My Flyers and Bezoats hulls are B and 25. they would be too small.

So the 102 is a legal motor, how about the 302?

If I can put a package together for a reasonable price I will be very happy.

You are 45 minutes away from me. I will be in touch.

Thanks again!
              RussW.
              Russ,

There are no hull restrictions other than a hydroplane, no runabouts. You B and 25 boats would be too small to handle properly. You need a boat with a 35 1/2 to 36 inch bottom and a 72 to 75 max after plane. Current front running makes may include Hemp, Tecraft, Runnecraft, Bezoats, O'Conner, Giles. Buy wisely as a quality used boat is not much more expensive than a water logged tub. I have found boats make a huge difference in OSY/CSH since most Yamato motors are similar in speed when well tuned.Hunt for the best boat you can afford or find.

No minimum weight. CSH weight is 440, 20SSH weight is 400.

APBA OSY motors are Yamato 80, 102, 202, 302. CSH are 102, 302. 20SSH are Yamato 80, 102 with restrictor, 302 with restrictor.

AOF OSY is similar to APBA OSY. AOF 102SH is similar to APBA CSH; however, the 202 is a legal motor in AOF 102SH/CSH.

You will find that the Yamato hydro and runabout classes are stronger Region 5 classes. You should also find that most are both APBA and AOF racers.

You have good resources in your area. You have Phil in Westly Chapel, Ron Selewach in Odessa, Butch Kiddy in Inverness, Walter Long in Spring Hill, Tom Cronk in Lakeland.

Contact Phil since he just went through a search for a rig and probably knows some quality rigs he passed up. Feel free to contact me as well, and I will try to help you locate quality equiptment.

My suggestion is go with a 102 or 302 and buy a 20SSH restrictor from RPM Marine.

Comment

I never ran a 302 but back when i ran c stock i ran the 102.It is the most bullet proof outboard on the market today.I never had a problem with it.Good luck in your racing.
                Bob

Comment

I think you have been given some very good advice and there are plenty of folks willing to help. You will find that this sport is unlike any other. The people will bend over backwards to get you on the race course. It's a great community. I'd recommend the 302. It's the newest version of the 25.5 CI Yamato. It started out a little slower than the 102 but now most everyone has broken the code and they are out front. The 102s are getting old. My 102 Mod (CMod) is getting to the point that parts are becoming an issue. The 302 pistons must have the ring alignmet pin moved to make them compatible with the 102. 102 pistons are about all gone. Bottom line is get a 302 and jump onboard. Jack

Comment

Thanks!

I sincerely appreciate all the responses and PM's! Bill Giles is also looking for equipment for me as well as Doug McAlarney.

I will be selling some of my Merc stuff to make room and offset the costs but I think it will be worth it in the long run. I have been out of the boats for a few years but am really excited about getting back at it!

Thanks again!

Russ

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DougMc View Post
                      Russ,

There are no hull restrictions other than a hydroplane, no runabouts. You B and 25 boats would be too small to handle properly. You need a boat with a 35 1/2 to 36 inch bottom and a 72 to 75 max after plane. Current front running makes may include Hemp, Tecraft, Runnecraft, Bezoats, O'Conner, Giles. Buy wisely as a quality used boat is not much more expensive than a water logged tub. I have found boats make a huge difference in OSY/CSH since most Yamato motors are similar in speed when well tuned.Hunt for the best boat you can afford or find.
                      I just went to my hiding place and checked my stuff. The closest hydro I have is 9' 6" with a 32" bottom. I have a couple in storage in N.Y. but I will shop around for something built for CSH/OSY.
                      Thanks again for the help!
                      Last edited by aojesus; 10-02-2007, 05:37 PM.

sigpic

Comment

Got a boat!

I just got off the phone with Bill Giles. He will be racing his latest hydro this coming weekend in Raliegh then it is coming to my house. Now I have to concentrate on the motor and a prop.

Thanks again for all the help!!

RussW.

sigpic

Comment

Csh

Joe Pemberton is selling a boat you may want to consider, Matt Arlt built it super light and unless you have been running marathons, this is the type of boat that will fit your shoulders.....also for the long run and ease of maintenance I would look at a 302 it will be legal the longest and accepted in most categories.... you could race that rig alot.
                          Scott

Comment

??

Originally posted by reed28n View Post
                            Joe Pemberton is selling a boat you may want to consider, Matt Arlt built it super light and unless you have been running marathons, this is the type of boat that will fit your shoulders.....also for the long run and ease of maintenance I would look at a 302 it will be legal the longest and accepted in most categories.... you could race that rig alot.
                            Scott
                            I baught Bill Gile's 2007 hull last night.

Fit my shoulders? Come on, I'm only 6'2", don't tell me I'm too big for my new toy

Good to hear from you Scott!

sigpic

Comment

Why can't runabouts run in OSY? Is it a UIM thing?

Comment

Working...
                              X