Kilo Trials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kilo Trials

Would any race teams from the midwest be interested in a Kilo event here in the midwest. Right now I am looking for a simple YES or NO.
    Please send all your answers to me here @ racen7@yahoo.com.
    We are just feeling the waters here no plans yet! We hope all racing classes will respond. OPC, PRO, STOCK BOARDS, INBOARDS we have a good place for this and think you all will like it also.....
    Again thank you for all you do for our boat racing sport.
    Dennis @ ROOSTERTAILS.NET
    www.roostertails.net
    boat racing info and pictures.

Dennis, I do not want to sound negative but be prepared to lose money on the event. With the expenses involved in putting on a Kilo event are too great to overcome. Trust me I know. This year Region 11 lost $3000 on the Kilos. Frankly this long time event for Region 11 is history unless we get it funded. That will leave Devils Lake in Region 10 the only remaining Kilo event. BTW way there 4 sets of Equipment.
    Region 10
    Region 11
    APBA
    Region 12 Otto Crocker old stuff
    Region 10 and 11 works the best and is in use. You can rent Region 11 for $500
    Region 10 is for rent but they charge a fee and expenses for an operator.
    E-Mail me at boyes.bill@gmail.com and I will give you a breakdown on expenses. and what needs to be done.
    bill b

Comment

Bill

How many entries would it take to break even and at what entry fee??

Comment

I think APBA sets the max entry fee at $100. At Devils Lake Kilos we lose about $1500 every year with about 20 entries. We also don't have to pay for scanners. Ambulance fees are what hurts us $100-125 per hour. I think the last time we made money was when we had over 30 entries, about 12 years ago.

Comment

Matt and Mike
          It cost about $4 to $5000 to do a Kilo. Region 10 has their own timing equipment and Russ Dodge donates the Surveyors fees I Believe. We (region 11) have our own equipment also. Last year at the Regatta Management Meeting during the APBA convention in LAX I asked the max kilo entry fee be increased and it was approved to $200. We charged $150 at our Kilo last March and had about 15 entries so you can understand how we lost money. We did not pay for the equipment nor surveyor either. The thing about Kilo's if you get to many entries is is very hard to get everybody 3 runs with the 15 min window and balks etc. Even with Kilo water all day. Very rare btw.
          Region 10 helps fund their Kilo's by a $1.00 per race entry fee during the race season. Region 11 Board has voted it down. Also the problem is that most records are so high that drivers do not care to try except for the old time record die hards like Wart. If APBA( that is us) want to continue with Kilo records then APBA (thats us) needs to help us continue to put on the events. The costs are just to high to recover from entries.
          So Matt do the math go with $4500 & 20 entries at $150= $1500 loss
          bill b

Comment

Yes, I think it would be a good idea!! I personally know of two people that would go.
            I don't remember when the last Kilo run in Kaukauna, Wisconsin was held. Maybe in the late 70's.

Here's a thought, make it part of some of the Series Races like APR and Champ Boat where the boats that run the Kilo get points toward their series. Could have to be a 3 day event if that worked out!
            Mark

Comment

I kicked around the idea of a Kilo on a nice piece of water in PA. I ran into some of the same problems, how to break even. It seems that the records are so high that very special boats are used (anyone remember Warts CSR for a couple years ago?).
              Is there enough interest in the general racing population in kilos in order to have somebody put one on? I don't know. It seems the only record course we have yearly in the midwest (Dayton) has had declining (or at least the entries have bounce up and down) over the years.

I guess the big question would be what would it take too increase the interest of records (kilos or close corse) east of the mountains? Would an increase in HOC pts be something that would lite the fire?
              Brian 10s

Comment

I am probably one of the biggest advocates of the kilos. I grew up working at the Bud David Memorial Kilos on Modesto Reservoir and now support the same kilos held @ Oroville, CA every year. For the last 5+ years I have donated the majority of the profits from the photos I take to the Kilo Fund..unfortunately, it is not enough for the coming year!

I feel bruised and bloodied from this battle. My final plea is that APBA make the determination if "they" support the kilo record or not. If not, then please just shoot this dying animal and put it out of it's misery. If the Kilos are to be a viable event, then I feel numerous changes need to be made. First, the insurance costs need to be drastically reduced (one boat at a time seems much less hazardous that 12), current kilo records should be "shelved" and in the future only boats running equipment that has qualified in a circle event would be eligeible (make everyone feel that they have a chance, not just those w/ "kilo" boats), finally ~ regions need to work together, because an event is not just about those that run through the traps, but all the suppport personnel that help make the event happen.

Comment

Hello Dennis,

A group of us here in Minnesota were just talking about this and think it would be a great idea!!! I can't belive anyone would have anything negative to say about a kilo run in the midwest. When is the last time any of us made any money racing or puting on races? And if you are losing money then you just need to plan for that before you start. We think this can certainly work! Please contact me if you need any help.

Bruce Johnson
                  G-Spec Racing
                  gspecracing@hotmail.com

Comment

Kilos

I'd be interested!

-Mike Pavlick

Comment

kilos

pls call me if you have a minute...203-971-3203...ask for david

Comment

Kilo

The Tetro Team would be interested in the kilos.East coast or Mid-West.
                        B.J. Tetro - 125H-175H
                        Tom

Comment

Well Said Teri

Teri Ziemer,

Very well said. APBA should "sponsor" a kilos and "reduce" the fees.

Back in the "old days" the driver would have to get a "third place" or better with the boat in a sanctioned APBA closed course event, to use that boat to set a "kilo" record.

This was of course before the "Special" kilo boats. I think that rule changed in the mid to late 60's.

Maybe we could have "two" sets of Kilo Records. One for "any" boat, and one for "competition" boats. You guys in Region 11 have your Region 11 Records. I think this would create more interest. Now, Kilo Set-ups are very specialized.

We could call them, "APBA Competition Boat Kilo Records" or something like that.

Teri..... How's that 125 Hydro working? Say to Joey for me.

Thanks, Dean Hobart
                          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Teri

Teri,

I meant to "Say 'hi' to Joey for me"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dean
                            sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Tom

Tom,

Maybe like the "old days", you guys could get a big trailer load of boats from Florida to come West and run Lake Lawrence Competition Records and Devil's Lake Kilos.

Deano
                              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
                              X