Thanks, Dayton Record Runs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks, Dayton Record Runs

Thanks to the race committee for a great job at Dayton this year. Many of us that host races know how much work is involved.....most do not stop to think how hard it that would be without the support network a traditional racing club brings. DRRA is an organization, but it isn't a racing club so it doesn't have the resources or luxury of hosting a race with the help of 30-50 member volunteers. Instead the race committee is made up of racers, other clubs, and supporters from all over the midwest who love the sport. Ed, you and the committee choreographed a great weekend of racing. Weather is a factor at all races but sometimes it becomes such a big factor that racing cannot be safely continued. You all made the right decision at the right time. Moving the course to the quiet end of the lake isn't an option at most races. Too bad the wind continued to increase.
    To all who pitched-in to help....THANKS! Remember, even when there are only 3 boats on the race course, it takes about 20 others (scorers, timers, judges, towing, referee, race director, pit boss, announcer, inspectors, rescue, flaggers, etc to make it happen. Great racing in Dayton. Thanks to all who helped. Congratulations to the new record holders. Mike Marshall, Raceboat 61-S

No: Thank YOU

Mike: I really appreciate all of the help you and Bob gave us along with all of the other volunteers. You're right: DRRA is a corporation with about five (5) members. We would not be able to put this race on without the help from members of all of the other Midwest Clubs like Michigan Hydroplane, Three Rivers and, of course, the Indiana Outboard Association.

Dayton is important to us in the midwest and the east as it is the only place East of the Rocky Mountians (with the exception of a 1200-mile drive to Florida) where you can make a record run.

As long as we get the help and the racers still want to race at Dayton, I'll keep puttin' it on. Thanks for all the help. Ed Hearn, DRRA Pres.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Dayton

The event is great. I was very disappointed to make the 12 hour trip for the second time in 4 years and only have 3 CSR's one of them was a 25 driver stepping up. Thank you to John Finn stepping down to run 25SSR so we could at least get a boat ride.

there were plenty of drivers....but just way too many classes............but still great racing..........thanks to everyone who contributed their time and effort...

Comment

Dayton

We had a great time as well. First time back to Dayton since 1980. That time the races were held on Mothers day every year. Always had good water but it always seemed cold and rainy. I think mayby more records were set back then due to the cooler temps. It would be nice to maybe consider another date because of the August winds that always seem to howl there. Just a thought. Fun just the same. Great job DRRA. This man spent plenty of time getting the course right with others assisting. Thanks T.J.
        Attached Files
        Tom L.

Comment

August winds

For the record:

Since I took over Dayton beginning in 1997, and in that ten year period, we have had the following bad weather for the Record Run Event:

1) 1997, we had the last flight on Sunday that was blown out.

2) 2004, we had a horrible storm on Saturday afternoon and lost the last two flights. We went to 1 heat racing on Sunday but still finished all racing.

3) 2007, we couldn't race on Saturday at all.

For the 2005 Nationals, we had 3 flights of racing where we had to run on the smaller course at the west end of the lake. This race, however, was run three weeks earlier than the record run event.

So, over the eleven years of racing in August, we actually lost 1 full day and three additional flights were we couldn't race. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think that's too bad.
          14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Winds

Ed - Thanks for posting that information. Maybe it will help with the miss perception that Dayton is always windy and hot and bring the #'s back up in the future. It really is a nice site.
            Tom L.

Comment

Windy

We could not have asked for better weather on Sunday Dayton this year.

You can expect that as long as the earth continues to rotate every race site will get windy at one time or another.

Comment

Wind??

Does the area around Norwood, New York just rotate more rapidly??

Comment

Working...
                X