Snapshot from 1973 Portsmouth, Virginia Race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snapshot from 1973 Portsmouth, Virginia Race

So I had this long explanation written in my mind to write here as to why I went to my basement, got out my scrapbook, found this photo, and scanned it to post here on hydroracer.net.

Then I realized it would be more fun if I let you all try to figure it out.

From the 1973 Portsmouth, Virginia Stock Outboard & Outboard race (before Outboard became PRO and before APBA had a Modified Outboard category).

What do you see, who do you see, whose boats are in the foreground, and why might this photo be indirectly related a recent post here on hydroracer? Bonus points if you can identify any boats in the background.

Photo shot with a Kodak Instamatic with a standard built-in glass and/or plastic lens.
    Last edited by Mark 72@E; 09-06-2007, 08:48 AM.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

I was there

The 4-Z I believe was one of the Daniels, maybe Zoom. I see Mal hardens 250cc on the left on the red cart and it looks like Jody Pierce's A-Stock merc on the right side. I see Tom Harden over looking the pits.

Comment

It never ceases

It never ceases to amaze me. The collective knowledge of members here is unbelievable. I agree on all almost all your observations Marc.

So which Daniels are you calling "Zoom"? I'm betting he didn't have that nickname in 1973.

Ron Hill made a point here on hydroracer several years ago referring to a panoramic photo that appeared in "Speed and Spray" of the 1974 Stock Outboard Nationals at Dayton, Ohio. Hundreds of boats and not a single boat cart in sight. This photo was taken in 1973 and Mal Hardin's hydro was on a CART. Were the Hardins the first to use one?
      Last edited by Mark 72@E; 08-26-2007, 05:59 AM.
      @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
      72@E
      Former Boat Racer
      21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
      20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Zoom

Zoom is Carl Daniels, he use to race stocks with his brothers and they gave him the nickname of Zoom. Carl later raced 350cc with Mal Harden as the engine guy, he was very fast about 10 to 12 years ago.

We had some of the first carts along with the Hardens. Our cart looked just like the Hardens.

Comment

I love the KG4 in the background. Thanks for sharing the picture.
          Bob

Comment

1973 Marc and I were both running a single J Hydro (with the Merc 60J & a new Bowsen J boat). We took turns racing it, one of us on Sat. and the other on Sun. I know we would have been there, I remember Portsmouth having all the jellyfish everywhere and it was always very hot there.

First time I ever saw Ian Augustine was Portsmouth, he was about 7 or 8 years old, running through the pits like a little hellion....

We also raced a one-time race on Smith Mountain Lake in Bedford, Va. in 1973. Gary Hilsen raced and won A (or B) Alky there in a close race against Harry Schiffman.

By the way, Zoom Daniels lived then in Manteo, NC. We also had a race there once about that time (early '70's) but I can't recall the actual year.

Comment

Zoom . . .

lives in Kill Devil Hills, NC, I do believe. He came back to racing for a short while back in the 80's.
              carpetbagger

Comment

Mark,

Thanks for the photo of our old boats. The C was my brothers boat which I later ran when he didn't want to race any longer. The B and the A were mine. Mr Harden did our engine work after Herb Walls told him he couldn't build a stock motor. That C would constantly run in the upper 60's to low 70's.

I remember racing with you and later I think you may have had a serious injury after I stopped racing Stocks.

I got the nickname "Zoom" long before racing boats though. My next door neighbor (lazy) called me Zoom as he frequently ask me to run to the paper box and get the paper for his dad. Some people in Manteo do not know my real first name to this day.

Karl "Zoom" Daniels
                Kitty Hawk, NC.

Comment

Working...
                X