Thanks for Top O Michigan race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for Top O Michigan race

This is just a quick note to thank everyone for the great time that I had up at Indian River this past weekend.

It was absolutely the most fun that I've ever had in a raceboat. For anyone who has ever thought about running the race: quit thinking and do it next year! It is an experience that you can't even really put into words.

From the friendly people in the pits, to the spectators, and everyone else around you won't feel more welcome at any race site. Once you hit the water and wait for your class to get released to the course, the excitement just grows. There are more people lining the shore than you will ever see at another race. The variety of water conditions and lake vs. rivers makes it a very dynamic and VERY fun run. You won't be dissapointed. My rewind broke on Sunday so I didn't get to run the full course, but even at that is was the best two days of racing I've ever had.

Thanks again for all the help and hospitality. I'm just mad it took me this long to finally get up there. I hope this will help others from making the same mistake.

Steve Roskowski

15-H...... I mean 16-H .......until I can strong arm Gary for my number!

Yea...what he said.

Steve, you summed it up for me as well. What a fantastic race! Excellent race officials and organization, an amazing race course, a Top notch event!
    This was my first time to the Top 'O Michigan as well and it was everything I expected and more. I drove home all night last night and I have yet to get some sleep. I couldn't wait to tell everyone about the great time I had at this event. A great big thank you to every one of the many folks who put this event on. GREAT JOB! (I heard they have to organize something like 40 patrol boats, three sheriff's departments, the DNR, and I forget how many townships.) I'd also like to thank the many people who helped me out with my boat. It was great to get help, I sure needed it.

Steve, I'm really sorry you had engine problems on day two and couldn't race. The course on day two is just like day one except more so! Bigger water, narrower twisting winding rivers, and many more spectators. I have to admit I spent a little too much time hamming it up by waving to so many spectators. We passed just a few feet from the crowds, most of them waving, cheering, and leaning out to get a good photo or video.
    I'll see you there next year Steve.
    I see that there are already photos posted online for purchase here:
    http://www.jopho.exposuremanager.com...thon_nationals

Comment

Wow!!!

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post
      Steve, you summed it up for me as well. What a fantastic race! Excellent race officials and organization, an amazing race course, a Top notch event!
      This was my first time to the Top 'O Michigan as well and it was everything I expected and more. I drove home all night last night and I have yet to get some sleep. I couldn't wait to tell everyone about the great time I had at this event. A great big thank you to every one of the many folks who put this event on. GREAT JOB! (I heard they have to organize something like 40 patrol boats, three sheriff's departments, the DNR, and I forget how many townships.) I'd also like to thank the many people who helped me out with my boat. It was great to get help, I sure needed it.

Steve, I'm really sorry you had engine problems on day two and couldn't race. The course on day two is just like day one except more so! Bigger water, narrower twisting winding rivers, and many more spectators. I have to admit I spent a little too much time hamming it up by waving to so many spectators. We passed just a few feet from the crowds, most of them waving, cheering, and leaning out to get a good photo or video.
      I'll see you there next year Steve.
      I see that there are already photos posted online for purchase here:
      http://www.jopho.exposuremanager.com...thon_nationals
      great pictures! I gotta make that trip next year! Did ya run yer Tohatsu Jeff? How'd ya do?
      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Thanks from topo club!

Steve & Jeff

We're glad you enjoyed the race. It takes takes a lot of work from many people and agencies to pull this race off every year. It will also take people like,you willing to brave the unknown,and telling your fellow racers to come with you next year to keep this, the greatest of all races going for years to come.

Steve, I can still hear the sound of your starter rope snap
        and see the pain in your eyes. You ran about 50 yards to shore,as others came out to help, to get tools. You sent me to my trailer for rope, a long wade for an old man, but you persevered and were able to run most of the race. You and as many friends as you can drum up are welcome to stay with again next year. P.S. At 100# over weight with a D Mod boat and a 25 Merc is like bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Jeff, thanks again for comming and bringing our first Tohatsu motor to the topo. I know you learned a lot about set up this year which will help you in 2008. Josh Pearson is sure intersted in the Tohatsu and may have won again this year if he didnt have motor problems. Get the Bass brothers to help him out and it would pay dividends for them in the future. Please convince a few of your friends to come
        with you next year.

Thanks to both of you from T.O.M.O.R.C.
        Thanks to both of you from the Topo club.

Comment

Steve S., I will do my best to bring another racer with me next year. I know of a couple people to "work on". I know that once they come and do it, they'll be hooked too!
          Daren, The Tohatsu ran flawlessly. I think if my motor were in the hands of an experienced marathoner it would have placed very well. But in my "rookie" hands... I was just happy to finish.
          Everybody who finishes both days but does not place in the top 5 get a medallion for their achievment. I thought a lot about that medallion as I fought my way back across Burt lake. I plan to frame it in a nice case and hang it on the wall with a couple halogen lights illuminating it. (seriously)
          Attached Files

Comment

Jeff,

You did a great job for a first timer!!!!! Now bring that boat to Grass Lake and race with us again!!

Comment

More photos are posted at www.PhunFotography.Com

Comment

Jeff,Sorry i didnt make it but my dad said he talked to ya.The old girl looks good with the tohatsu hanging off the back.Good job on finishing the race.
                Bob

Comment

What not to do.

Great photos. This grouping of pics was awsome of the Canandian A class boat flip.

http://www.printroom.com/ViewGallery...2&image_id=185
                  Tom L.

Comment

Just got home a few hours ago & have been looking at many of the great pictures of the race. Besides the Top O' club we have a few others we would like to thank:
                    Mark Kurz & Dave Umbarger for places to stay. Also Dave U for letting us use his pleasure boat to tour the Cheboygan River and letting Karzy Karl use his Yamato 102 to race C after Karl's D broke on Saturday. (I think Karl will have a 30-H on ebay soon so he can buy a 302 )
                    Having everyone on the team make it back to the pits on Sunday sure helps when you are packing up 5 boats.

Darrell
                    C-4-C

Comment

Finishing results

I was just browsing the Top O' club website. I see that the website has been updated with all the 2007 marathon race results, Including overall times.
                      I think Chris Hagerl is the webmaster. Thanks for taking the time to get all these numbers posted!

http://www.marathonnationals.com/200...Champions.html

Comment

Originally posted by jeff55v View Post
                        I was just browsing the Top O' club website. I see that the website has been updated with all the 2007 marathon race results, Including overall times.
                        I think Chris Hagerl is the webmaster. Thanks for taking the time to get all these numbers posted!

http://www.marathonnationals.com/200...Champions.html
                        Take a look at the time difference between Tim Ross & Kim Park! in CSR 4 sec. on Saturday & 1 sec. on Sunday. Thats 5 seconds for 87 Miles!

Comment

Originally posted by CSR4C View Post
                          Take a look at the time difference between Tim Ross & Kim Park! in CSR 4 sec. on Saturday & 1 sec. on Sunday. Thats 5 seconds for 87 Miles!
                          I think the proper word is frustrating.
                          Last edited by Brett L. Pruett; 09-13-2007, 07:30 PM.
                          Brett L. 156M

Comment

Working...
                          X