• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan boat racer, 20, caps weekend at DePue with a third national title

The young and the speediest

Monday, July 30, 2007

BY DON BAKER

OF THE JOURNAL STAR

DePUE - For a 20-year-old racing against seasoned veteran boaters, Brandon Thirlby shows a high degree of confidence.

He's continuing to prove others need to be concerned about him as he won the 250cc Hydroplane class Sunday for his third title of the weekend in the APBA 2007 Pro Nationals on Lake DePue.

Thirlby won the 500cc and 700cc Hydroplane national titles Friday and Saturday. He repeated as champion in the 500 cc class.

Thirlby, of Traverse City, Mich., won four national titles two years ago and has eight overall.

"My 250cc win today was my biggest win, because I won it for another boat owner with his equipment,'' he said. "His former driver switched to capsule boats, so he needed a new driver.''

Thirlby had raced in 250cc only twice before and won both times. But this is his first national title in that class.

"I've come to nationals here forever," he said. "I've watched a million boat races. I've probably watched more boat races than three-quarters of the people on the beach here today, so experience like that is a big help."

Thirlby, who has been competing for six years, said he doesn't come into national competition with set goals.

"Some boaters may do that," Thirlby said, "but I don't think about winning any national titles. I just come out here to have fun. It's definite plus to win a title."

Jim Nilson of Tacoma, Wash., also won three titles: C Racing Hydro, C Service Hydro, and C Racing Runabout. He won no national titles last year.

Only three national champions from last year retained their titles. Zach Malhoit of Silverdale, Wash., won the 350 Hydro and C Service Runabout. Joe Prater of St. Joseph, Mich., was another repeat champion, in OSY-400.

Buddy Tennell of Buford, Ga., defended his national title in the 125cc Hydro and his world championship in the O-175 class. It was the only world title on the line here Sunday.

This is the seventh title for Tennell, 47, in the 125 class. He won six in a row from 1996-2001.

"The world title really is significant and important to me," Tennell said. "You have to be the first one off the beach and not let anyone pass you in the world competition."

Tennell credits three good starts to helping him win the 125 class after not having won it since 2001.

"Today was the toughest competition I've had to win over in this class with 23 competitors," Tennell said. "It's quite an honor to pull that one off. This was my best weekend here since I started coming here, in 1988."

Tim Small of Lighthouse Point, Fla., won the 350cc class with some needed help in his second heat. He spun out on that heat and received no points but won his first and third heats.

"There were gun-jumpers in the second heat, so there were only two racers who had more points than I did at that point," said Small, who is in his first year in 350cc racing.

"I knew if I won the last heat, I would win the title. It's not often you can get away with having no points in a heat. I was legal in the second heat, but I spun out to avoid an accident."

Don Baker can be reached at 686-3214 or dbaker@pjstar.com.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV
Working...
X