No announcement yet.

West System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using System Three for 25 years. It is 2:1 raito. I buy it in 5 gal for resin, 2 1/2 gal for hardner. Use the fast hardner Dec-Feb, medimum hardner the rest of the year.
    I have only used West System once (at another shop) didn't like the smell of the stuff.
    Last year on one of my trips to H.A.R.M. in Kent WA, I stopped at System Three to pick some up. The owner took me on a tour of the plant, gave me some samples of their new products. Easyer to use, by more expesive. They had a real good fairing compound that I bought about a gallon of later. He said that I was his oldest customer.

Darrell

Comment

Originally posted by jneises View Post
      If you are using West System to provide a protective coating on your boat and not using it for structural adhesive you can cut your expense by thinning the mixture with acetone. Some folks have been know to dilute it up to 50% Acetone. I goes on thinner and smoother. Try a bit as an experiment before diluting a large batch.
      Try Denatured Alcohol or Lacquer Thinner much cheaper than Acetone. Does not take much. Maybe 5%. CSR4C gave this hint several years ago.
      bill b

Comment

Put the alcohol in a spray bottle and mist over a top coat for a nice smooth finish.
        DAVEY 18w

Comment

Originally posted by BROCCOLI View Post
          Laurie has it right again. The East System is available from Noah's in Maine.

And you people thought I was just the eye candy.
          Twisted Sister

Comment

Originally posted by L. Allen View Post
            And you people thought I was just the eye candy.
            Laurie Allen's not just another pretty face.
            The Runne's: Born with plastic sporks in their mouths.

Comment

May also need to consider the environmental conditions at the time you are blending and using the west system.. Like any epoxy.. its succeptible to heat and humidity. In a controlled environment it will perform to its specs. The wood would break before the epoxy does.

Comment

Originally posted by L. Allen View Post
                What's wrong with the East System?
                "THE WEST IS BEST" LOL

RICHARD J BIRD
                TEAM
                MEANSTREAK/LEFTCOASTRACING
                THE PROP SHOP RACING TEAM
                MOST MODS AND SOME STOCKS

"WE ARE ALL HERE BECAUSE WE ARE NOT ALL THERE"

Comment

Buy big . . .

I use to buy WEST in the 5 gallon jug, I think WEST called it 45 pound set or something like that. Big jug of 105, gallons of hardner. The 105 resin lasts for freaking ever, but the hardner, especially the fast hardener, gets kinda dark looking after several months. No prob, still works. I seem to recall the big ol' jug and pair of harder gallons (slow/fast) cost less that a trio of gallon sets.

Shop local - try to cut a deal for "Runne Boats, LLC" or some such. Forget West Marine, they be stylish yachtsman expensive. I think there's a WEST dealer/distributor on your side on the river down in Bayboro.
                  carpetbagger

Comment

I know one boat builder that coated his concrete basement floor in WEST System. He used to buy the five gallon/one gallon jugs from Gougeon Bros, but now it's by the barrell.

WEST is so good that you can build a boat, repair a childs toy, build the strongest re-inforced cockpit or seal your basement floor with it. Funny how the others say "as good as WEST".

I even have have a one gallon of 105 with hardener in the VW Bus Works garage. VW buses have wood on the inside, real ones any way, Westfalias....ha ha...pun...WESTfalia!
                    " It's a sad day when you've outgrown everything"
                    Art Pugh

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_4z View Post
                      I could only dream of one day being a "real" boat builder like you, Sam.

Everyone else, thanks for all the helpful info.
                      you mean my new CSR is not being built by a "real" boat builder????????
                      Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Real boat builders don't take your money for a boat kit, promise delivery in three weeks and then ignore your calls for three months!
                        Jesse Ward 15-S

Comment

Working...
                        X