No announcement yet.

APBA D-stock Rule Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony, Neil neglected to answer your first question. I understand it to be that only 3 people have purchased this motor with 16:17 gears. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    Ryan Runne
    9-H
    Wacusee Speedboats
    ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

• Let's move on!

I think more like six purchased the Tohatsu with 16:17 gears, but there are lots of 100U lower units with 16:17 gears. The NW runs lots of the 100U units, some 16:17, some 17:17 gears. It is very easy for units to be traded around since they are interchangeable, therefore, I do not know who has what, and nor do I care. I do not think one gear ratio will be better than the other, but the propeller you find makes a big difference. I understand some of the FE propellers work well with 16:17 gears. In the end, I doubt one gear ratio will be better than the other. The Tohatsu setup is still being improved and that will be the case for several years.

As I stated on another thread:
      Hey, I am as sick of all this as is Ed Hearn, I am sure. If the 44xs drivers want to have a class, and if Tohatsu is to be a viable product, we need to change the way things are done. The parity committee process has been super frustrating, and this last rule change has added to that frustration. I am sure Ed is exasperated with all of us as well. Let’s just drop all the fussing and find a better way.

Neil Bass

Comment

• Just out of curiosity, do you know if all of those who purchased the Tohatsu with 16:17 gears intend on competing in APBA D stock? Those who do not, would not be effected.
        Ryan Runne
        9-H
        Wacusee Speedboats
        ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

• Who What

Yes, I am talking about APBA, not AOF or NBRA.
          Neil

Comment

• Originally posted by csh2z View Post
            He is a Lawyer!
            That's quite obvious, but what type? Wills-trusts-probates, prosecuting, defense?

Comment

• Originally posted by ricochet112 View Post
              That's quite obvious, but what type? Wills-trusts-probates, prosecuting, defense?
              Stock Outboard
              Sattler Racing R-15
              350cc Pro Alcohol Hydro
              TEAM VRP
              The Original "Lunatic Fringe"

Spokane Appraiser

Comment

• Move along, people...

nothing more to see here...let's keep traffic moving...just trying to clean up now...move along please...
                Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
                sigpic
                Portland, Oregon
                Johnson Racing

Comment

• Cameraboy

I think we need to see what has happened when the season is over and then?
                  RichardKCMo
                  add ; you take some neat pics
                  Originally posted by Cameraboy View Post
                  nothing more to see here...let's keep traffic moving...just trying to clean up now...move along please...
                  RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cameraboy View Post
                    I second that motion.....
                    Sean Byrne

Comment

• Hither and Yon

I thought the 2005 list of internal private emails was a nice touch. And the excuse of "volunteer" inspection/technical manual development folks was endearing -- also the after-the-fact meeting attendee comments and special meeting agreements was especially exciting! This is why I sold my Merc 44XS and gave up on entering D-Stock.

Please just get the technical do***ents right and move on with life. We all should follow the WRITTEN rulebooks and stick to them, as they are stated for the season that they apply to (no matter whether we are the "little people" in boat racing or the Stock Outboard "Parity" Committee that reports to a higher order of life.) Shame on the Stock Commission for not proof-reading your own ruleset publications each year. Fix the problem in the 2008 technical and inspection books and quit making excuses about the current rulebooks. I notice that the words "... sorry that we have not made these meeting-established rules clear to the membership..." don't seem to come out of the APBA leadership's mouths in the thread messages here.

As for the D-Stock drivers/owners who are disappointed in this never-ending story of resistance to new motor changes (did the Yamato 102 have this much problem in C-Stock when they were introduced in the 1980's?), and endless communication misunderstandings -- Come over to the "Dark Side" and run the upcoming UIM-compliant Pro 250cc class, where no one will seem to care what gear ratio you run as long as you are using a motor within the approved displacement limits (and a few other minor restrictions.) UIM's F-250 Worlds Cup planned in Florida for 2008 is the most current changeover catalyst!

Al

Comment

• I feel a rule change in this manner is in bad taste because it was done in mid-season and does cause the D Stock racers hardships with equipment that has been purchased based on the rules as written.
                        I didn't agree with the CSH prop shaft rule change either.

Not sure how these rule changes are helping to promote the sport of Stock Outboard Racing?

Correct the rules for next year, as it was a mistake by APBA!

Jeff Kelly

Comment

• hmmm....

Olympia, WA DSH Results: .65 Mile Course, four buoy first turn, three buoy 2nd turn
                          1st Place: 42R (both days)
                          Owner: J. Michael Kelly/ Russ Bircher
                          Driver: Cory Peabody
                          Motor: Tohatsu
                          Gears: ? (I have no other reason to believe anything but the legal* gears and motor height were being used)
                          Hull: B&H

That rig is going fast, never-mind the motor manufacture or gears used. This is a compliment of the highest regard. In my opinion, I was one of the few D’s that could compete with it, yet it outran my attempts to chase it down, solidified in my mind, by solid heat of looking at its transom. Whatever the setup being used, this seems to authenticate the endless equation that a good boat, a good motor, a great prop + a smart driver always has a chance to win, and it did.

With that being said, come Moses at the Stock Nationals, run whatever you want, just be prepared to come in second…………….haha!
                          499 John

* I just always wanted to put one of these “*” in a sentence
                          http://vitalire.com/

Comment

• ah hmm..........

Originally posted by guedo499 View Post
                            Olympia, WA DSH Results: .65 Mile Course, four buoy first turn, three buoy 2nd turn
                            1st Place: 42R (both days)
                            Owner: J. Michael Kelly/ Russ Bircher
                            Driver: Cory Peabody
                            Motor: Tohatsu
                            Gears: ? (I have no other reason to believe anything but the legal* gears and motor height were being used)
                            Hull: B&H

That rig is going fast, never-mind the motor manufacture or gears used. This is a compliment of the highest regard. In my opinion, I was one of the few D’s that could compete with it, yet it outran my attempts to chase it down, solidified in my mind, by solid heat of looking at its transom. Whatever the setup being used, this seems to authenticate the endless equation that a good boat, a good motor, a great prop + a smart driver always has a chance to win, and it did.

With that being said, come Moses at the Stock Nationals, run whatever you want, just be prepared to come in second…………….haha!
                            499 John

come on now, "if" you could get that boat of yours (44XS powered) through the turns safely, you would beat the Tohatsu............that rig of yours accellerates unbelievably..................just like Jeff Akers's FEH!!!!!
                            Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

• Great prop ....

Originally posted by guedo499 View Post
                              Olympia, WA

Whatever the setup being used, this seems to authenticate the endless equation that a good boat, a good motor, a great prop + a smart driver always has a chance to win, and it did.

499 John

Hmmm..........John, you never taught me about the "great prop" ..... At Cullably, with beer and blood in my hand, you only taught me to have 3 props ..... #1 fast .... #2 fastER ..... #3 "SMOKIN" FAST Oh ... and great boat number.
                              BOPP

Comment

• Dan, after watching the back end of your boat in the distance with the rest of the field in 20ss, I think Guedo knows that you already know great prop...
                                Mike Johnson

World Headquarters
                                sigpic
                                Portland, Oregon
                                Johnson Racing

Comment

Working...
                                X