Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for da Michigan Racers

So tell me the truth...
    1) Why dont MICH guys like coming to our WIS/ILL races? (Seems more of "us" can make the trip east, but less of you make the trip west)

2) Why dont we (Reg 7 & 6) try and make sure our race sched's dont interfere with each other during the winter months of the prior year? (arent we the two regions with the most racers too?)

This has bothered me for sometime. If we planned our races as a joint effort, wouldnt that make for better attendance? Ive been in this racing thing for almost 5 years & I enjoy it. But its such a bummer to see the dwindling attendance, at any race. Issues such as the cost of transport fuel is obvious.. Surely some people could "RacePool" (aka; carpooling) to some of our events?? But the biggest one Ive heard from Michigan racers... "Whaah, I dont wanna drive thru Chicago.. Whaa"

CASE-In-POINT: I found the pleasant Prairie race site 4 years ago. We were originally a one day event during a family festival there. (Sponsor money covered the Insurance) Many believed this site has potential to become the next National Race site. (WI & IL border, 1 mile of I-94) Who could ask for a better location. AND its a private lake!! I even thought, "yea- those Mich guys I like so much might even come"
    Year 1,2 & 3 attendance not bad, but could have been better.. I convince the our club to move the single race date to a 2-day event on a separate weekend in hopes of..... YEA, better attendance, no conflict of other (Michigan) races & maybe a real sponsor! That was last year. We had only 67 entries and pretty good weather.

So tell me Michigan Racers..
    . What do I need to do to convince some of you folks to come to our Pleasant-Prairrie Race? This year or next - PLEASE- DO TELL

Would "Prize-Money" entice you enough? How about "tow-money"? Is it the date? Is it some whiney ass rumour that the waters is too rough? (so lame, those guys should probably get into Go-Cart racing or something) What if I could get all Out-Of-State participants 50% off at our hotels?

! How About This ! I have a double decker carhauler that has six spaces... If I pick everyone up and bring you to the race, Would you then come?!?! Chicago isnt that bad... you gotta know when to go thru there.

Seriously though, All of your input is greatly appreciated. And I hope to get ALOT of it

Kip Trump # 69W
    kipdon@hotmail.com
    (262) 620-3741

Kip: I think the Modified club, IOA, had its Brighton, MI race the same weekend and a lot of Michigan stock guys went to that. It was a 1 to 1-1/2 hour versus 7 hour decision. Ed.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Well

I will let Ed H fill you in on one of my reasons.

I can say, Brice Birling, I think he founded the site, is a great guy, to bad he is out of the sport. One of the nice guys.
      Dave Mason
      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

We'll

Out of the sport but still linger. Thanks for the kind words. Kip was very instrumental in helping put this race site together. Even though my health had closed the door on speed, spray, and the occasional brush with death it is certainly is entertaining to keep in touch through HR. I think the MI, WI, rivalry should be somehow be used in a positive way to help grow attendance at races. It's a long standing "thing" that will outlive the sport, so try and find a way to capitalize on it.

Bruce
        32 Dubya

Comment

answer to question #2

Kip,

Every year starting in November the commodores from BSOA, MRC, MHRA, IOA, TRORA, and Midwest are in contact with each other working on the schedules. We all do the best we can but sometimes we get stuck with a conflict, especially when the sponsor picks the date.

Bill

BTW - by moving the judge's stand at Pleasant Prairie to the back stretch we have dramatically improved the course. The course is bigger and not nearly as rough. It really is a nice site. Thanks for your hard work on it Kip.
          Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

Don't forget your friends to the west. I know for a fact that if there were races in Wisconsin that were closer to the Minneapolis area we might be able to entice a few more racers to be active in our sport. It is very difficult to convince potential new comers into joining the ranks when the closest race site may be 5-6 hours one way drive.
            Maybe we all need to take a more global attitude about attracting more racers. I do admit that I am biased in my opinion since a one hour drive to a race site is something I'm not familiar with. Not trying to stir the waters, just looking for creative solutions.
            Also good to know that Bruce B. is still kick'n. Do miss seeing ya around.

Comment

Date

Kip,
              My choice was for a 40 min. drive to Brighton, MI that weekend.

And yes, "Whaah, I got stuck in Chicago for 2 1/2 hours on the way to De Pue last year..."

Larry Spencer

Comment

seriously...

Kip, it is evident you are passionate about the sport. I understand wanting more MI support. After 5 years in R7 I think you might not know some of the other factors. Let me try to put it in perspective.

MI SO racers go to the 3 MHRA races (no brainer). MI MO racers go to IOA's 4-5 races (no brainer). And lately we've been going to each others races more and more.

MI racers may go to say 8-10 races a year at most due to time off, $$, conflicts, etc. Say they go to 5-6 races in MI and are going to 'travel' to 3-4 more. Well we have Dayton, a Canadian race and all the TRORA races that are closer than most WI races AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE THRU CHICAGO. (Regardless if you think it is a weak excuse or not, it IS a factor. R7 people are use to it, R6 people are not. It's usually bad, sometimes terrible. If the MI people didn't have other choices, they'd do it. But they do have other choices... lots!)

So don't take it personally. MI people like to race and like you guys. I have been to Burlington, Rockford, Rock Falls, and Beloit several times - when I was racing 12-14 weekends a summer and ran out of R6 races to go to. But MI people can hit 10 races a year without driving 'all the way' to WI.

My perspective of R7: there is not as much to think about west of you. Rather than have 3 premier races (like MHRA) that pay for themselves easily without a sponsor, you choose to have 5-6 so you guys aren't always driving to R6 to race - completely understandable. However, it locks you in to some dates as Bill mentioned. The MI races are fixed - they have been the same weekends for a long, long time and won't change. And TRORA does a good job of scheduling around our races because they want our support.

Where does that leave R7? Kinda screwed, I realize. But I am just trying to explain what you are up against.

My suggestions: pick 1, maybe 2, 'premier' races you really want MI boats at. Make sure there are no scheduling conflicts. Offer tow money over 200 miles or something. Race 3 days at Burlington instead of 2 (Franklin is a heck of a site). Trade promises - you'll come to Big Rapids if Miskerik goes to Pleasant Prarie, etc. Any incentives you can think of...

So there's more to it than us crying about Chicago traffic...
                Good luck!
                Last edited by race4kaos; 05-17-2007, 06:46 AM.
                kladd-

Comment

[QUOTE=race4kaos;79582]Kip, it is evident you are passionate about the sport. I understand wanting more MI support. After 5 years in R7 I think you might not know some of the other factors. Let me try to put it in perspective.

MI SO racers go to the 3 MHRA races (no brainer). MI MO racers go to IOA's 4-5 races (no brainer). And lately we've been going to each others races more and more.

MI racers may go to say 8-10 races a year at most due to time off, $$, conflicts, etc. Say they go to 5-6 races in MI and are going to 'travel' to 3-4 more. Well we have Dayton, a Canadian race and all the TRORA races that are closer than most WI races AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE THRU CHICAGO. (Regardless if you think it is a weak excuse or not, it IS a factor. R7 people are use to it, R6 people are not. It's usually bad, sometimes terrible. If the MI people didn't have other choices, they'd do it. But they do have other choices... lots!)

So don't take it personally. MI people like to race and like you guys. I have been to Burlington, Rockford, Rock Falls, and Beloit several times - when I was racing 12-14 weekends a summer and ran out of R6 races to go to. But MI people can hit 10 races a year without driving 'all the way' to WI.

My perspective of R7: there is not much to think about west of you. Rather than have 3 premier races (like MHRA) that pay for themselves easily without a sponsor, you choose to have 5-6 so you guys aren't always driving to R6 to race - completely understandable. However, it locks you in to some dates as Bill mentioned. The MI races are fixed - they have been the same weekends for a long, long time and won't change. And TRORA does a good job of scheduling around our races because they want our support.

Where does that leave R7? Kinda screwed, I realize. But I am just trying to explain what you are up against.

My suggestions: pick 1, maybe 2, 'premier' races you really want MI boats at. Make sure there are no scheduling conflicts. Offer tow money over 200 miles or something. Race 3 days at Burlington instead of 2 (Franklin is a heck of a site). Trade promises - you'll come to Big Rapids if Miskerik goes to Pleasant Prarie, etc. Any incentives you can think of...

So there's more to it than us crying about Chicago traffic...
                  Good luck![/QUote
                  NOT MUCH TO THINK BOUT WEST OF YOU> Combine the race running power of BSOA-MRC and Midwest. Include all of region 8 Add NBRA A race in MO. Iowa, MN wi And Il. sounds like a nice Local series. Forget REGION 6 they are doing fine.

Thing is: the 15 of us over here can't put on any races alone< Bsoa has kinda stepped up but.... It could be better and frankly we just don't have the manpower to do much more than we have be doing for the last 15 years. I am at the point in MY life where I can be content to test and SHOW UP at the nats in ALL my classes. That 2004 Hi point cost me around $20,000. Fun yes but...

GOTTA REMEMBER we all cannot afford to do much more than we are. This economy is going to be a factor. Typical weekend of racing for me is about $1000.00 x 8 weekends.

Things are starting to happen around here but it looks as if the resurrection of Midwest might be closer to it's PRO roots.

Be safe and have a great season. the office is going to hold me at home this year.

Comment

The Allen's from Wisconsin will come to Constantine if everyone in Michigan agrees to come to Oshkosh Labor day weekend...and Laurie has to still bring brownies to Constantine.
                    "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Kip the real reason is you. We just do not want to see you. I try to spead the love and people will say, "Cafarelli gets around...", that sounded bad.....

I do all of the IOA races 1 MHRA, 1 BSOA, 1 three rivers race and a Canadian every other year and a Dayton about every 3 years.

It is all about the money. 3.60 a gallon.... might only do the IOA this year.

Comment

Wow, great response's !
                        Im surprised nobody has taken Kip up on having him haul their race trailers on his carhauler, for transport to a Wisconsin/Illinois race yet....

And Brian.... Your a Pervert. Sounds Like Your Jealous Of "Billy-Bob"
                        Shelly (MossyRose96w)
                        Girly Myspace Layouts
                        Girly Myspace Layouts

Comment

Boat transport.

Originally posted by MossyRose96w View Post
                          Im surprised nobody has taken Kip up on having him haul their race trailers on his carhauler, for transport to a Wisconsin/Illinois race yet...
                          Actually... I need to talk to Kip about the next leg of my boat transport from Michigan. It just finished it's first leg Monday. I'll be callin.

Comment

if I remember correctly most of the R7 guys at Pleasant Prairie last year told us that we were the 1st racers from "across the pond" to come to that race. we're planning on coming back this year... as long as Nydahl has another party
                            Retired racer turned bartender

Comment

Kip I am a big supporter of the R7 races i cna get to. I will be at Burlington this weekend just as i have been for the last 7 years. The other R7 races are tough to make since they do conflict with other races. In regards to Plesant Praire it is at the end of a long strech of races. This year is even worse since the schedual looks like: Nationals, Alexandria KY, Dayton OH, Oshkosh or Lockhaven PA, Grass Lake MI, Big Rapids MI and Then Plesant Praire. it would be the seventh race in a row that is my guess why many people dont make the trip. They are burned out by then. So My sugesstion is move the date so it is not at the end of such a big strech.

See you at Burlington.
                              473M

Comment

Working...
                              X