Top O' Boat/size suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top O' Boat/size suggestions

Seriously thinking of trying this race in 2008.
    I have a Bass/Tohatsu "D" on order, and an old 14' flat deck DeSilva runabout that I was told maybe a good combo for the Top O'......I just keep thinking it's to big and maybe somthing smaller and a bit more modern in design would be a better choice

Would like to here any suggestions or coments, preferably from those who have first hand experience in the "D" class at Top O'.

Thanks
    93-C

Bring it... It sounds like a great combo for this race. The trend over the past 10 years or so has been the 13ft.+ boat for the D. Some of us (including myself) still run a shorter, smaller boat. The smaller boats will have the advantage with top end speed . However, with that being said; this race isn't about top end speed. Its about course speed and finishing. The larger boats have an overall advantage. There are only a couple places during the race where top end speed is even used. For the most part, having a boat that can push you through the rough waters and having one that won't beat you to death trying to keep it upright is the way to go.

Some stats for ya:

2006 winner: 12'-6 boat
    2005: 13+ boat w/ a 55H
    2004: 13+
    2003:13+
    2002:12-6
    2001:13+
    2000:12-6
    1999:13+
    1998:13+
    1997:13+
    1996:12'-6
    1995:12'-6

Hope to see you in August
    Josh

Comment

Thanks for the info Josh.......I geuss I will continue with the idea
      93-C

Comment

Originally posted by pearson95m View Post
        Some stats for ya:

2006 winner: 12'-6 boat
        2005: 13+ boat w/ a 55H
        2004: 13+
        2003:13+
        2002:12-6
        2001:13+
        2000:12-6
        1999:13+
        1998:13+
        1997:13+
        1996:12'-6
        1995:12'-6
        Hey Josh, Just to make it easy for you to update your list of winners this fall: My boat is 12'-6"

Comment

I was thinking a 25 ft. cruiser with a cooler full of beer would be nice this year?

Comment

Do you have the same info on A boats?

"The Coffee Guy"
            TEAM CAFFEINE
            Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
            " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

I think 25 feet is a little big for an A boat Nick.

Comment

25 footer

Originally posted by topomichracer140m View Post
                I was thinking a 25 ft. cruiser with a cooler full of beer would be nice this year?
                Hey Nick,

I'm in! I'll bring the Beer!

Comment

A boats at Top O', most are using 10' Austins or simular design. I feel sorry for the As when I pass them in real bad water in my 13' C and they are struggling to keep on plane. Maybe an 11' boat would be a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by racer121M View Post
                    I think 25 feet is a little big for an A boat Nick.
                    I wasnt thinkin about classes Bob...I was thinkin about my knees!!

Gootz 142M Quote:
                    Originally Posted by topomichracer140m

Hey Nick,

I'm in! I'll bring the Beer!

Oh Boy Gootz...did I forget to mention I do have a Sea Ray...its only a 17 footer, But if you bring enough beer it wont matter...

Comment

Ride The Top !!!

Watch the bike races on speed , and git'r'done, you have to run the tops otherwise you loose.
                      Richard

Comment

Originally posted by CSR4C View Post
                        A boats at Top O', most are using 10' Austins or simular design. I feel sorry for the As when I pass them in real bad water in my 13' C and they are struggling to keep on plane. Maybe an 11' boat would be a little better.
                        Thank you!

"The Coffee Guy"
                        TEAM CAFFEINE
                        Cranked up and ready to Roll

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles. It empties today of its strengths (Corrie ten Boom)

"Cup of Joe? Not no mo! Kevs Coffee is the only way to go!" (John Runne 09)
                        " IF you can find a better cup of coffee... Kev will drink it!" (Michael Mackey 08)

Comment

The master plan.

Originally posted by topomichracer140m View Post
                          Oh Boy Gootz...did I forget to mention I do have a Sea Ray...
                          Great idea Nick! You get all the other D drivers to watch the Top O' races from your boat. Lure 'em with beer, that'll get most of 'em! That ought to make Top 'O an easy win for me! (I'll be the only D class!)

Hey Kevin, If you have any other Top O' questions, a good place to look is over here: http://tomorc.proboards62.com/index.cgi

Comment

Working...
                          X