Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reality Check for the Lunatic Fringe ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality Check for the Lunatic Fringe ...

My own thoughts and observations as to the top ten "Best things that ever happened for kneeldown outboard racing growth and promotion":

10. Sid-Craft Boats
    9. Champion Hot Rod
    8. Unlimiteds
    7. Boat Sport and Speed & Spray Magazine
    6. HydroRacer.net
    5. Swift Hydros
    4. Mercury KG4H
    3. Mercury KG7H
    2. Mercury 20H
    1. APBA
    Last edited by Dr. Thunder; 05-01-2007, 05:21 PM. Reason: add info
    Untethered from reality!

here here
    now if we can get some tv time in there maybe just maybe
    we can get some payback for the teams they deserve it and new teams need a lift up to get going
    oval boat racing rules
    hows that for looney
    that would be the icing on the cake for best of the best for boat racing
    sigpic

Comment

Noa

NOA/(now AOF)
      Has to be in there somewhere....
      Claude Fox did a lot to promote the sport in his day.

Lots of championships which should have been considered "world"..
      north/south
      Last edited by AOFoffice; 04-28-2007, 04:36 AM.

Comment

The 'grass roots', what we are missing today.
        Hal Kelly, Hank Bowman, the whole NJ connection; Sid, Marchetti's, O'Day etc .
        Not knocking APBA/NOA/CBF, but in the 50s and 60s more boat racing was done outside the sanctioning bodys, than in it.
        But a good list, for a 1st cut.
        Last edited by bh/; 04-27-2007, 07:03 PM. Reason: sp?
        Brian Hendrick, #66 F
        "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

'but i am so... east coast"

Jones, Hubbell, Toprahanian.
          McDonald, Entrop,
          -and would we have known of Ron,
          if it were not for his father Russ
          Brian Hendrick, #66 F
          "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

Swift hydros were huge in the development of stock racing, they were competitive AND affordable, how about that!
            Mark Krzyzanowski
            32-CE

Comment

Added to the list..Ralph Evinrude and the 100MPH club.

The Johnson PR, The Evinrude 4-60, The GT and X series OMC motors which gave Merc some serious headaches and took away their reign. Don Hendrich for making some of the most awesome propeller advances since cupping. Ron Hill for doing the same thing. The OMC V-8 OZ motor.

Then there was both factories, OMC/Brunswick at war, producing awesome showmanship. That, evolving into classes that one brand of motor dominated, which took some away. Anytime you can get competition between brands, you get crowd pleasers....You can go out and buy a brand, but rooting for a driver you can't own is not the same...

How about Switzercraft for the Wing and the Shooting Star, and Bobby being one of the best drivers ever to enter the sport...

Or the contribution Bernie Little made over the years.....

I don't think you could ever pick a top 10 in this sport, with no disrespect to the title of the thread....
              Bill Schwab
              Miss KTDoodle #62C
              -Naturescape encinitas landscape company

Comment

Havasu Classic

Bob McCulllough bought Site Six for a dollar an acre from the government. His wife was Jim Briggs's sister. Jim Briggs, of Briggs and Stration fame owned OMC (Johnson and Evinrude).... When they promoted the Outboard World Championships they always referred to it as the "LAND SWINDLE"....as they REALLY never believed that Havasu would become the city it has become...

But, there were some fantastic OUTBOARD RACES AT LAKE HAVASU...TRUST ME!! I won $8,500 in cash is 1967 plus a $4,500 lot....I was making $6,700 a year teaching school, then...Serious CASH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Hill View Post
                  Bob McCulllough bought Site Six for a dollar an acre from the government. His wife was Jim Briggs's sister. Jim Briggs, of Briggs and Stration fame owned OMC (Johnson and Evinrude).... When they promoted the Outboard World Championships they always referred to it as the "LAND SWINDLE"....as they REALLY never believed that Havasu would become the city it has become...

But, there were some fantastic OUTBOARD RACES AT LAKE HAVASU...TRUST ME!! I won $8,500 in cash is 1967 plus a $4,500 lot....I was making $6,700 a year teaching school, then...Serious CASH!!!
                  what classes pay the best now ???
                  sigpic

Comment

None!!!

Originally posted by sws115 View Post
                    what classes pay the best now ???
                    Boat Racers do it for family and friends, but NBRA usually has about $3000.00 for tow and heat money for about 100 boats.....
                    Anyways.
                    RichardKCMo
                    RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

kool thanks richard
                      so is that the total purse or 3000 per boat tow money
                      whats the pay out say 1-10th place
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bh/ View Post
                        The 'grass roots', what we are missing today.
                        Hal Kelly, Hank Bowman, the whole NJ connection; Sid, Marchetti's, O'Day etc .
                        Not knocking APBA/NOA/CBF, but in the 50s and 60s more boat racing was done outside the sanctioning bodys, than in it.
                        But a good list, for a 1st cut.
                        You're right but the Hal Kelly Hank Bowman connection was all embodied in the Boat Sport/Speed & Spray phenomenon ... which is why I put those in the top ten ... their contributions were immense!
                        Untethered from reality!

Comment

Working...
                        X