something different

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something different

Hello everyone, this is former race guy Mike over in PA. And although I gave up racing when the kids hit 2 and 3, I haven't forgot racing. In fact I've been working on something for just for small outboard racing. I know there's a resistence to change. We see it everytime somebody brings a new motor to the table. But, I took the time to build this prototype anyway. Just because i was sure a 1 direction gearcase could be made alot simpler and therefore considerably less expensive. Two issues weigh on the cost of a lower unit. The die cast housing and the pinion gearset. This unit does away with both. It's designed to be sand cast. It also does away with the expensive and trouble some pinion gearset. It uses a cable drive contained in a hot molded solid PTFE cableway that is relieved and water cooled. It's designed to use off the shelf straight cut gears housed in the adapter to get a left hand rotation and desired ratio. These will be oil bathed for service life. It's currently 1 and 1/8 inch wide. Thoughts ?

Last edited by modFE; 03-17-2007, 07:31 PM.
    2% own 90%, that's the ownership society

Last edited by modFE; 03-17-2007, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Last edited by modFE; 03-17-2007, 07:32 PM.

Comment

Lower unit

Sounds interesting. Sure would like to see a photo. What size engines are you are you proposing this for?
        Art K

Comment

15 or 20 hp.

Comment

if you don't see a photo. try

members.aol.com/lam700x/foot2.jpg

Comment

Comment

If downshaft is moved to more in the center so that it matches the torque tube of the motor and the props were cut for right hand rotation what difference would that make. The Antique C Race motors turn the opposite of the C Service motors. Once the drivers learn to drive the nuances of the boat you would omit the gears altogether. You might consider for the FE Class as the rules are more lenient.
                David Everhart S53
                David Everhart S52
                Avatar credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Not sized for FE

Originally posted by deverhart1 View Post
                  If You might consider for the FE Class as the rules are more lenient.
                  David Everhart S53
                  Good idea, have considered something simular, but to run on an FE you need something that is designed for more like 80 to 100 ft-lbs torque. What I see might be a very inexpensive and fast 15hp size lower unit. Would be interested in what static torque can be applied without significant distortion or failure.
                  Neil Bass

Comment

that was the exercise. Build a cheap J or A foot and/or tower combo.
                    Here's a pic of the cheap version. Fill it full of Lithum or teflon grease and replace parts as needed.

Comment

Help ! the reason I posted this, is i'm at the point of making a powerhead adaptor. I saw a thread about the Briggs motor.. nice price. $650. ebay $500 Did you know you can buy a verticle shaft Briggs 5hp for about $200. that leaves $450 dollars to come up with a race chassis/foot. I have a 7hp, 12,000rpm, watercooled, 49 cc 2 stroke. (they are in production) But, cost wise that will push a $1000 for the parts to build a complete 7hp motor. Anybody have a suggestion on a useful powerhead ?
                      Picked up the gears today, off the shelf $32.00. They'll take 18hp in oil, at 3000 rpm... with zero wear. powerhead suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                      X