Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1973 Lake Hapatcong ASR/ Name those Drivers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bud Pinto was one of the early ones, but I do not believe he was THE first to run it regularly.

Ed: I don't even think I have a picture of me rolling it up, and I am the one that says things like "Side fins ruined boat racing!"(WHAT AN A--HOLE!)
    sigpic

Comment

"Rolling up"? what is that? please explain

Comment

John Puestow ran his 35ssR with a side fin. He might be the first to regularly campaign the side fin runabout on this side of the Mississippi.

That class was killed after 1981.

Comment

I remember Fred Miller and his side fin mounted on a pod on his 25SSR at Dayton in the early 80's

Josh.....You don't remember rolling up????? Winter must be gettin' to ya!

Comment

Puestow is who I was thinking of

Yeah it was Peustow, and I do believe it was a 35ss. I do remember Spuds now but Puestow was the first to win the nationals with one, Miller had one the nex year, yes it was early 80's. I think Puestow won in 81 at Dayton, I missed 80 at Wakefield so could be wrong, in fact I'm starting to think it was Miller in Dayton in 81 Puestow in Wakefield in 80. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I do remember what a big deal it was, and the rule change so there could not be a pod, and the name hydrobout. In fact it was probably a spring Dayton the first one showed up at, since that was always a big race. Dam I'm getting old.

Kerry

Comment

Side Fin

Sam Hemp,
              Please set the record straight as it came from your camp. I thought it came to a head in either 82 or 84 when Spud ran it in B runnabout with a pod and Bowman made a little stink about the whole thing. 12 Waakefields, they kinda become a blurr after awhile.

Warbs
              64*W

Comment

Pipe in Sam

Sam is definatly the one with the answer, I know the hydrobout came from his camp, but remember Puestow being the first to win a nationals with one. I do kinda remember the stink about the pod stiking out the side.

Kerry

Comment

Hey Phil:
                  This is Rich Tower, former 117-P. I just found this site. Good to se some of the older people are still around. I was at that race but truthfully can not recall all the people. Wish I could get back involved in racing. Jim, my brother has but then he is retired. I still have at least 10 yrs to go. Both you and Bob Minton were good friends back then. And yes you do look a bit bewildered.

Rich
                  Safety Rich- Your Safety is my business

Comment

I know Bud always said he got the idea of the side fin from John Peustow

Comment

1966 Nationals - No Fins

I won the 1966 AU Nationals in Prineville Oregon flat turning (known as outside chining back then) my roll up Clarkraft with no fins at all. I went into the first turn in 12th place and came out in 1st around the outside of the other 11 boats as they all rolled them up.

Bill Rosado

PS - I ran for years with no fins on the bottom or side and had only a little chine fin at the rear of the inside chine. Real drivers don't need any fins.
                      Last edited by modracer7b; 12-30-2010, 10:06 PM.

Comment

Prineville, Oregon 1966

Originally posted by modracer7b View Post
                        I won the 1966 AU Nationals in Prineville Oregon flat turning (known as outside chining back then) my roll up Clarkraft with no fins at all. I went into the first turn in 12th place and came out in 1st around the outside of the other 11 boats as they all rolled them up.

Bill Rosado

PS - I ran for years with no fins on the bottom or side and had only a little chine fin at the rear of the inside chine. Real drivers don't need any fins.
                        They were planning to give a trophy to the driver who won by the greatest time. I told the committee that a J would win becasue it took them about a hour to make a lap. But they went with their plan.

In testing, my 1966 Marathon Nationals Winning C Runabout tested faster than my D....runabout which I had also won the 1966 Marathon Nationals....

I ran 8th in C runabout, Bill Giles won...I won D runabout and was second to Clark Maloof in DSH...He had a retractable fin....which was ruled out later, but Clark won the Nationals by the largest time of the Nationals...

I remember AU like yesterday, Billy was impressive!
                        Last edited by Ron Hill; 01-01-2011, 07:01 PM.

Comment

you got scrubert on outside howey pickeral middle nexe to him is zip gallager on other side is chip fuller in corner is dizzey dave no idea where the hell i am

Comment

Working...
                          X