SO Agenda

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SO Agenda

Here is the final draft. Just click on the WORD do***ent to review.
    Attached Files
    mike ross

If you didn't get what you wanted to be discussed shame on you. Call Mr Ed Hearn and I am sure if you pay a nights lodging for him in LA he will voice your concerns. Of coarse I can be bribed for much less. Maybe a bar tab for an evening. Or a night on the town with any girl who's last name is Runne. I'll behave JOHN. Anyway hope to see all you in LA. its going be fun!!!!! Mike
    mike ross

Comment

ASH weight at 225lbs?

Mike,
      Not an ASH racer but this is 105lbs lighter than ASR. Typo?

Comment

dates?

I think (hope) the dates for adoption of UIM cockpits are wrong.

Bill
        Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

I'm not an APBA member so have no input... but I race in APBA events once or twice a year...

I'd just like members to think about the safety rule regarding turn fins and brackets...

I think advances have been made greatly in plastics and other materials... If you don't want Stainless Steel that's fine, state it that way... but I wouldn't like to see a rule that says "only Aluminum".

I've used fiberglass and carbon fiber fins on my boats before with great success. We have many drivers in my area in AXSH, ASH, CSH, DSH, DMH using carbon fins. I think these materials are safer in a crash than even aluminum. They are not hard for the average person to make and cost less than the special grades of aluminum.

I have also seen roll up runabouts with plastic waterski fins on the bottom.

Anding a rule which states side fins on hydroplane AND runabouts must have a shear pin or single bolt mounting and be able to pivot in an accident sounds like a safer rule to me.

Anyway... food for thought.

Have a great convention!
          Last edited by Andrew 4CE; 01-15-2007, 11:42 AM.
          Fralick Racing
          Like our Facebook Team page "Here"

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew 4CE View Post
            I'm not an APBA member so have no input... but I race in APBA events once or twice a year...

I'd just like members to think about the safety rule regarding turn fins and brackets...

I think advances have been made greatly in plastics and other materials... If you don't want Stainless Steel that's fine, state it that way... but I wouldn't like to see a rule that says "only Aluminum".

I've used fiberglass and carbon fiber fins on my boats before with great success. We have many drivers in my area in AXSH, ASH, CSH, DSH, DMH using carbon fins. I think these materials are safer in a crash than even aluminum. They are not hard for the average person to make and cost less than the special grades of aluminum.

Anding a rule which states side fins on hydroplane AND runabouts must have a shear pin or single bolt mounting and be able to pivot in an accident sounds like a safer rule to me.

Have a great convention!
            I agree here. Any projectile that is mounted to a boat going at speed is going to do damage albeit Al, SS, Carbon or the like. In Canada we adopted the rule andrew mentioned above that stated you must use a shear pin or the like and it must give way under force of impact.

We all use different styles of fins and to class it all into Aluminium would call for the changing of a lot of fins and brackets.. my two cents.

Regards,
            Dave Scott
            Aim Marine Inc.
            613-831-1246 8-5 Mon-Fri
            Ottawa, Canada
            http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
            DS(M)H - 20CE

Comment

Proposal as submitted

Originally posted by BP125V View Post

Bill
              PROPOSAL TO THE MOD, STOCK, PRO AND Junior COMMISSIONS
              OR AS A GENERAL SAFETY RULE

FOR CONSIDERATION IN REGARDS TO COCKPITSIDE CONSTRUCTION
              From 2006 APBA rule book
              Insert under Rule 20:HULLS
              Junior- Rule 1 e) pg 29
              Modified – Rule 2.2 c) pg 30
              Stock – Hydroplanes 2 c) pg 32
              PRO – Rule 5 pg 30

Proposal: To mandate that all new boat constructed after 12/31/09, must follow the UIM guideline rule 522.02 (pgs 180 – 182 in 06 UIM Rule Book) for the use of carbon fiber and Kevlar composites in cockpit sides.

Reason: To mandate the use of these proven safety products in the construction of new boats.

Explanation: These composite materials have increased the safety and protection of drivers in other parts of the world but have been meet with resistance here in APBA. This rule would bring our racing hulls up to the same safety requirements that the UIM has had for years. This is the next step to increase safety and much like Kevlar pants and sleeves, must be taken in order to protect racings most precious resource, it’s drivers. It is a shame that only a few builders are currently using this technology.
              Last edited by Brian10s; 01-15-2007, 12:29 PM.
              Brian 10s

Comment

2nd Proposal as submitted

Originally posted by BP125V View Post

Bill

FOR CONSIDERATION IN REGARDS TO CURRENT COCKPITSIDE RETROFIT
                From 2006 APBA rule book
                Junior- Rule 1 f) pg 29
                Modified – Rule 2.2 d) pg 30
                Stock – Hydroplanes 2 d) pg 32
                PRO – Rule 6 pg 30

Proposal: To mandate that all existing hydros utilize composite materials (carbon fiber & Kevlar) made up of the same materials as required by UIM rule 522.02 (pgs 180 –182 in the 06 UIM rule book) by 12/13/10.

Reason: To mandate the use of these proven safety products in existing boats. I propose that all the commissions work together to get several suppliers to build pre-made sheets that must be affixed to the current boat sides. These suppliers would be the only “official supplier” of this retrofit and would supply a standard composite sheet where a novice driver could order a size and then just have to affix it to their hull by an approved manner.

Explanation:
                These composite materials have increased the safety and protection of drivers in other parts of the world but have been meet with resistance here in APBA. This rule would bring our current racing hulls up to the same safety requirements that the UIM has had for years. This is the next step to increase safety and much like Kevlar pants and sleeves, must be taken in order to protect racing’s most precious resource, it’s drivers. This process would also allow everyone to have access to the same level of safety. A novice racer, without experience and knowledge would not have to try and do it alone. It would also provide enough business for a few suppliers that they could produce the product economically. I have asked a current builder about this and was told that materials used should be ½ foam board with a layer of carbon on the inside and Kevlar on the outside for larger boats and 3/8 foam for smaller boats, to limit weight gain. Estimated total cost would be $450 per side for the ½ and $425 for the 3/8 foam. Sides could be cut and shaped by the driver and affixed with epoxy and screws to the outside of existing cockpit sides.
                Brian 10s

Comment

3rd Porposal as submitted

FOR CONSIDERATION IN REGARDS TO SHARP POINTS ON THE FRONT OF RACING BOATS
                  From 2006 APBA rule book
                  Junior- Rule 1 g) pg 29
                  Modified – Rule 2.2 e) pg 30
                  Stock – Hydroplanes 2 e) pg 32
                  PRO – Rule 7 pg 30

Proposal: To mandate that by January 2009 all Hydroplanes must have either at least a 4-inch long removable/collapsible sponson tip/nose with a perpendicular bulkhead (UIM rule 509.02 pgs 160 – 162 of 06 UIM rulebook) or 1 inch diameter sponson tip/nose and that all new runabouts construction have a flat or rounded nose (ie. no sharp point).

Reason: To prevent the further injury due to sharp, hard, non-collapsible points from hitting other competitors.

Explanation: As boats evolved over the past 10 years, it seems that the pickle fork has becoming increasingly sharper with each generation. Regardless of construction materials, these sharp pickle forks are projectiles as we travel across the water. I was witness to a newly constructed wood hydros pickles go through the side of a hydro with 14 mil sides and carbon fiber & fiberglass sandwiched in between the layers of marine grade plywood.

It is my belief that the sharp pickle fork has no performance advantage and is just for looks, and these looks magnify the risk. This also holds true for runabouts, which also have no reason for coming to a point. However, since runabouts must meet minimum lengths, I cannot think of an easy retro fit.

This proposal would be for all new construction as well as retrofitting all current boats. All I am looking for is a tip the size of a pop bottle lid. That is approx one inch and would greatly reduce the amount of puncture ratio into our boats. I have already preformed this retrofit on one of my hydros and all that was required was to saw the tips off the pickle back 2-3 inches (depending on the taper of the sponson), shape to spec with a file and seal the end. The whole procedure took less than 1 hr (excluding drying time of epoxy
                  Brian 10s

Comment

The rule that I have in the Agenda was taken from the UIM web site. It reference dates but those would be for a UIM race. They are for reference so we can adopt how we want our rule to read. Thanks Brian we will use your example as another reference. Mike
                    Bill94M
                    Waterford, MI

Comment

Originally posted by billy94m View Post
                      The rule that I have in the Agenda was taken from the UIM web site. It reference dates but those would be for a UIM race. They are for reference so we can adopt how we want our rule to read. Thanks Brian we will use your example as another reference. Mike
                      Thanks Mike,
                      I was hoping that we would start down the path towards the UIM rule; not vote on what was written in the UIM rulebook verbatium - especially concerning dates.

Everybody have fun in LA!
                      Brian 10s

Comment

Mike please put the wording from these proposals into the agenda for the SORC 's consideration. Ed.
                        14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Calling Matt Boyes

I would like to receive a proposal from the SO Website Committee about what needs to be done and what budget needs to be implemented to get the SO Website up and running again. I'd like this to be written and forwarded to Mike Ross for inclusion in the SO meeting materials. thanks. Ed
                          14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Originally posted by mike ross View Post
                            . Of coarse I can be bribed for much less. Maybe a bar tab for an evening. Or a night on the town with any girl who's last name is Runne. I'll behave JOHN. Mike

WHOA... why wasn't I told about this???? I have a few conditions....
                            "I don't want to just live life, I want to live an extraordinary life." - Kevin Ladd

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew 4CE View Post

Have a great convention!

This makes a whole lot of sense. Also, using a shear pin or a single bolt attachment so the fin breaks or turns away is a better idea.

I have always thought that our fins are dangerous. I use a single bolt to hold my fin in place. The bolt is tightened just enough to hold in place while turning but yet loose enough so it will swing away if it hits an object like a person.

Comment

Working...
                              X