GPS - Speed Checker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS - Speed Checker

Can anyone recommend a cheap GPS Model,Make and maybe store? I'm looking to get one for next season but I don't want to spend a Mint!
    Thank You,
    Earl 11 J........ Dangerous when Wet Runne Craft- Earl said, " Driving a Runne Craft is like Cheating". Dude, ........ Where's My Boat!

I have a Garmin Etrex. I can't remember the exact modal # right now. But I can tell you it is yellow and I have seen them At Walmart selling for $99.99 I am vary pleased with mine.

Mark
    Mark
    G-11
    125H
    When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

I like my Garmin eTrex, too.

garmin etrex on Garmin's web site Garmin part number: 010-00190-00
      Suggested Retail Price:
      $106.24 U.S.D. (for domestic US market only)

I got mine at Target when they had them on special for $75 a couple years back

For about $45 more you can get the Geko 201 model that is rated waterproof. The eTrex battery compartment is not rated as waterproof. Geko: http://www.garmin.com/products/geko201/
      Last edited by sam; 11-10-2006, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Gps

Earl,
        If you are just going to get GPS for the speedometer, Get one that has WAAS capability. -It will help the speed accuracy.
        Tha Etrex Venture has WAAS, the lowest end Etrex does not. Both are good units.
        Larry

Comment

Originally posted by les View Post
          Earl,
          If you are just going to get GPS for the speedometer, Get one that has WAAS capability. -It will help the speed accuracy.
          Tha Etrex Venture has WAAS, the lowest end Etrex does not. Both are good units.
          Larry
          Earl, The low end Etrex is WAAS enable and I have seen it at Wal Mart online as low as $87. check it out @ http://www.garmin.com/products/etrex/
          !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Mr Phil - you are correct. I was looking at an old comparision!
            Thanks,
            Larry

Comment

I just bought the etrex Legend that I found on ebay. I think I paid less than $50 for it. I had the yellow etrex before this one, which I liked real well. I kept it in my left sleeve while racing and checked it after the race. The last race I went to check it and it wasn't there any longer. It had slipped out while racing. Any rate, one thing I like about the Legend is on the trip computer page you can enlarge the speed so you can actally see it while racing if you put it in a place where you can see it.
              Attached Files
              Sean Byrne

Comment

Originally posted by seanp3 View Post
                I just bought the etrex Legend that I found on ebay. I think I paid less than $50 for it. I had the yellow etrex before this one, which I liked real well. I kept it in my left sleeve while racing and checked it after the race. The last race I went to check it and it wasn't there any longer. It had slipped out while racing. Any rate, one thing I like about the Legend is on the trip computer page you can enlarge the speed so you can actally see it while racing if you put it in a place where you can see it.
                Nice feature. I'd go for it.
                !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

I really like my yellow etrex. Plus it is still working perfect after going swimming!
                  www.opc-racing.com

Comment

Not just a toy!

The little yellow etrex is capable of more than just top speed if you want. There is an easily available cable that will let you download the info onto your PC so you can track your speeds at different points on a race course. This has the potential to bring propeller testing to a higher level if you are really serious. We got our cable at Cabela's for about $15.

Comment

Thank You Racers I have some ideas now!
                      Earl 11 J........ Dangerous when Wet Runne Craft- Earl said, " Driving a Runne Craft is like Cheating". Dude, ........ Where's My Boat!

Comment

Take a look at the Garmin Fore Trex 201. It is wrist mounted and comes with a charger. Can be downloaded into a computer. Amazon.com about $130.00 or the Fore Trex 102? cannot download for about $90.00 Can program the readout to MPH about 1/2 inch in height.
                        bill b

Comment

My two sense...

I took three E-Trek's out in my ASR this year testing at Lock Haven, one of them being mine and two others. The speeds varied by 3.2 mph! To make it worse, the highest reading E-Trek on the first run was the slowest on the next, so none of them were even consistent. I'm not saying that their junk, and I'm sure someone here will have multiple reasons why, but when the slower GPS becomes the faster on the next run, how accurate are my numbers from previous days of testing? I think we may invest in the old school Keller mechanical style for next year. Just my opinion. GL
                          Future J dad!

Comment

Originally posted by Gunjumper View Post
                            I took three E-Trek's out in my ASR this year testing at Lock Haven, one of them being mine and two others. The speeds varied by 3.2 mph! To make it worse, the highest reading E-Trek on the first run was the slowest on the next, so none of them were even consistent. I'm not saying that their junk, and I'm sure someone here will have multiple reasons why, but when the slower GPS becomes the faster on the next run, how accurate are my numbers from previous days of testing? I think we may invest in the old school Keller mechanical style for next year. Just my opinion. GL

Gunjumper,
                            Were they all mounted to the hull? Or were they on your back. I think to get consistent readings they must be mounted to the hull. I mount mine to the dash with velcro.

Mark
                            Mark
                            G-11
                            125H
                            When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

I've got a different thought but its on the same subject regarding testing and gps speed checking. Has anyone tried or seen those new toy radar guns that are being sold at Walmart and Toys-R-Us. I saw them the other day and remember that a couple of decades ago somebody was selling radar guns. But the guns were kind of pricey. I'm just wondering if these toy radar guns would work if someone in your pit crew could point it at you and get an accurate reading. They're suppose to read up to 100 mph. I think they only cost $25.00. I just thought I'd add the idea to the thread.
                              We bought a Garmin gps. I can't remember the cost or the number. But it is supposed to float. My son has flipped once and spun out another time and its still ticking!!! We used the velcro mount idea too.
                              Last edited by Wagneracing06; 11-11-2006, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X