Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Marketing Plan( Scott, Bass, Sidewinder.ect...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bass Machines...........

I am not sure that Dean and Dave's comments were specifically directed at, maybe they need to clarify themselves. Sid Bass is one of the nicest guys and is definately interested and here to promote boat racing, in specific, the DSH class right now. Obviously, if anyone knows much about his project with the Tohatsu, it is not a bog money maker, if at all. Sid has been at every race I have attended where a Tohastu has been run and is their for support and input or recommendations from other drivers. I think he has put up with enough crap being thrown at him in the past (banning the Tohatsu at the Winter Nat's) and the senseless restrictions (prop shaft height mainly) being put on the motor, due to only dyno figures, not "on the water" race figures. I would pretty much bet that Bass Machines has more invested in the Tohatsu project that most of us make in a year (maybe 2!). I do not see marketing as the problem, but all the negative input from "other" racers that are afraid their 44XS's are going to be obsoleted (which they are going to be!)..........
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Nasty turn

Originally posted by mercguy View Post
      I am not sure that Dean and Dave's comments were specifically directed at, maybe they need to clarify themselves. Sid Bass is one of the nicest guys and is definately interested and here to promote boat racing, in specific, the DSH class right now. Obviously, if anyone knows much about his project with the Tohatsu, it is not a bog money maker, if at all. Sid has been at every race I have attended where a Tohastu has been run and is their for support and input or recommendations from other drivers. I think he has put up with enough crap being thrown at him in the past (banning the Tohatsu at the Winter Nat's) and the senseless restrictions (prop shaft height mainly) being put on the motor, due to only dyno figures, not "on the water" race figures. I would pretty much bet that Bass Machines has more invested in the Tohatsu project that most of us make in a year (maybe 2!). I do not see marketing as the problem, but all the negative input from "other" racers that are afraid their 44XS's are going to be obsoleted (which they are going to be!)..........
      Well this went south rather quickly.
      Thought we were talking about marketing here.
      Any business has issues to overcome. sounds like a great oppertunity with AOF-NBRA

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Johnson View Post
        Well this went south rather quickly.
        Thought we were talking about marketing here.
        Any business has issues to overcome. sounds like a great oppertunity with AOF-NBRA
        Steve, this is a marketing issue! What more can Bass Machines do, BESIDES build motors. It is up to us "racers" to buy the products that are available to us. The problem is that most boat racers are cheap or just plainly cannot afford to spend alot of money on new equipment (me included), but having other people condemn or not supporting the "manufactures" is the down fall. Why should these "manufacturers" or even APBA be responsible for keeping our sport alive, that is the job of the MEMBERS. Yes, there are lots of members (including you) that are working their butts off to do what ever they can to keep boat racing from going down the ****ter, but it really needs to be a big COMBINED effort, not just by one or several people. Ron Selawach has gone FAR beyond supporting and growing boat racing and is spending his (same thing as Sid Bass) own $$$$$$ on the sport they love, knowing that they will never recoup all the $$$ they have spent or will be investing. If you think these people are in it to make money, well then think again....it is more of a PASSION! Now that I think of it, I doubt many boat builders, hardware manufactures, etc make much money on the products they build and sure as hell cannot do it to support themselves (well, maybe Sam Hemp does, as he must built 100 boats a year!!!...just kiddin with ya Sam). So........how much more $$$ should these people spend???
        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
          I agree looks like this might take the place of HydroRacer
          No fear Dan, I don't think anything will take the place of Hydroracer!

Comment

Originally posted by T Chance View Post
            No fear Dan, I don't think anything will take the place of Hydroracer!
            I don't know looks like Ron has been hard at work and is burning the midnight oil
            HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

Comment

To Steve Johnson

I do not agree that your question went south; I think it was a good question that qualifies for more thoughts. I guess one of the things I want you to know is that we have lots of opportunity to advertise outboard racing with the public if Bass Machines is given the support to do so.

Tohatsu America, our partner, has a great WEB page, http://www.tohatsu.com/ , and in the past has had information about Tohatsu racing for public viewing. The sales manager who we work with goes all over the USA to put Tohatsu products in front of the public. We have the potential to send some equipment and videotape for viewing by the public, but not unless we can make a decent Tohatsu presentation. Bass Machines would promote racing in general, as any racer is a potential buyer. But, we need to all work together.

We locally have displayed racing equipment at the mall. All it takes is someone to coordinate the effort. Off-season is a good time to start this effort.

Last Comment,
              Neil Bass

Comment

Investors

I am not a D racer. I was a B (15 Hot Rod) racer. Now I race C Stock.

Reasons

1) We always have a race no matter where we go.

2) The C class was where the competition was, in my Division

3) The motors are "Bullet Proof"

4) The class fits my body type (which is a component people forget)

It seems we should promote motors that are in stock. In classes that people will race.

D is a speed I do not want to race at and I do not think that I am alone, if it was the only choice I would have two. Sort it out and promote it and do what it takes to get boats on the water to race it. Tohatsu Merc whatever. Get 200 of whatever and then have some races it will probably take a parity comittee to level the playing field for a class in an uphill struggle. Sometimes the only way to go forward is to set our passion for a particular brand aside and look at what is good to grow the sport. Which by the way is the only reason we have any of these discussions in the first place. The Sport. The Sport of Boat racing. Where logic collides with passion.

Racer of the next great ride with 12 boat fields.

Comment

Thank you for your imput ALL

Not intending to stir up the D-stock issue. I am forbidden to go there. what I will say is this to all. I have to constantly spend money to promote my business. Any Racer - Supplier thinks they have un fair restrictions on them. well Join the club. My competition is with Hundreds of unemployeed folks that think they can be a lawn service. EVER been undercut by 60% ? I have been. Not Fun. Granted those competiters won't be around next year but it seems that there is a never ending suppy of these guy's. Point is I have got around these guy's. I will survive. I look for new markets and have found my neich.
                  I had not intended to single out Bass. Seem's you have many fine products, that are in demand. If I had as Much invested as you undoubtedly do I would most certainly do all it takes to sell sell sell. It sounds like you also have a very good plan to market. I'd spend a bit more and get on with it.
                  Perhaps your neich will be compleate turn key rigs. If any business had to wait for a level field before the decide they should go any further with marketing It will fail.
                  As to Rules and restrictions we are all going to have to hope for the best.

Neil - I wish you well. Implement your plan.

Thanks all for the imput.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Johnson View Post
                    ... Any Racer - Supplier thinks they have un fair restrictions on them. well Join the club. My competition is with Hundreds of unemployeed folks that think they can be a lawn service. EVER been undercut by 60% ? I have been. Not Fun. Granted those competiters won't be around next year but it seems that there is a never ending suppy of these guy's. Point is I have got around these guy's. I will survive. I look for new markets and have found my neich. ... As to Rules and restrictions we are all going to have to hope for the best.

Neil - I wish you well. Implement your plan.

Thanks all for the imput.
                    Steve
                    Steve, your lawn service analogy doesn't quite fit the boat racing issue.

Imagine that your competitors customers wouldn't let you service your own lawn unless you could guarantee that their lawns would be just as green as yours. That's not competition ... that's just plain stupid.
                    Untethered from reality!

Comment

Well really

Let me clarify,
                      The point I was trying to make is..... Handicaps are everywhere, and for everyone. Figure out how to get around them. I'm an educated man but I cannot speak intellegently on how hobbled your sales efforts are by the SORC parity committee. I've only seen one run once. By the limited feedback I have heard your horse is in the hunt. I do not wish to debate the rule issue here. Or again. Fact is, I cannot do anything about it. We are all bound by a committee. And there are other forums to debate this. I believe every D driver is waiting with baited breath to see how this shakes out.
                      I am just looking for imput on what the Manufactures are doing to help market themselves. I've got my imput and respectfully, I am now out of this conversation.
                      Thank you.

Comment

easy answer

First off Steve you are the man. Good heart and fine person. (I know that will not help me in the first turn)

The fasted way to grow the sport is to get people at the races.

The barrier to this is racers, clubs and the people who make boat racing products do not have the capital investment needed.

Put 2 complete rigs for sale at every race. Have a bank sit there and hand out deposit money here flyers and pay for race advertising. Take apps for loans for the rig! (Good credit needed.)

Have good announcers. When the people come they need it explained. Announce how to get into the sport and who to ask for in your club. Make a list for general announcement and sponsors. Make a flyer for cars in the parking lot with hydroracer and your clubs web site so they can take it home.

Invite the press. Pay a one day membership for a member of the media and give them a ride. How about that morning show DJ from your local radio station. Do it this year and next year he will talk about it for free.

The limiting factor is money in most cases. Do a little more each race and the numbers will grow.

I Love being a member of the IOA... I was a board member for 3 years or so and I requested to step down so I could do non-board member stuff for the club. Next year I will host a race and the end of the year banquet, be a race referee, help build the premier digital clock in the country and be the social director for the 2007 Mod Nationals. By stepping down I hope I have helped the club because someone new can learn the role. Knowledge is power. How many people in your club can run the clock or been a risk manager?

Leaders are not elected, sponsored, or chosen. They are the people that do the job when it is hard and no spot light is on them. Well done Steve, Ron, David, Sid and others.
                        Last edited by brian; 11-11-2006, 05:06 PM.

Comment

marketing, etc..........

first off Steve, I know where your heart is and know you are trying to find a solution, etc for the issues in boat racing. But, your statement regarding promotion, advertising, etc relating to your business is like comparing apples to oranges (boat racing being the oranges). You provide a service that is needed or required by your customers, therefore you advertise, etc to obtain their business. Boat racing is no where near that scenario. Consider just about ANYONE can go down and buy a car nowadays, due to the fact that a car is a necessity. Now, not just anyone could go down and buy a brand new boat, because it is a luxury and not a necessity. MY (and mine only) thought is, why should there be such a big burden put on the manufactures in our sport to promote and market their product more than they already are or are planning on doing. Like I stated before, these manufacturers have or are going to, spent ALOT of their money already and really not getting the support they need to continue. That support should come from us "members". Would you advertise, etc knowing you were going to be losing more money..............NO you would not. It still all comes down to the bottom line. My reference in regards to Bass Machines, is only due to the company being in the region I race in and knowing the manufacturer, who PERSONALLY is out at every race supporting and maybe even promoting their product, where it is welcomed. The negative input towards the new Tohatsu motor they have received from people "outside" the region is my "guess" why they do not have a serious marketing or promotional campaign going on country wide. Another reason why the Tohatsu motor is not selling like gangbusters is due to the unfair restrictions put on the motor by the parity committee (of which I have no negative comments about). This is detering future sales of the Tohatsu, as no one would really want to buy a motor that is not safe to drive (due to the prop shaft height restriction) and not being able to be competitive. I have faith that the committee will make the appropriate changes for 2007 and hopefully the Tohatsu motor sales will improve, then maybe the manufacturer will step up and do what you are asking, but until then, they ( or if it was me) would not do anymore that is being done now. Steve, you and I know each other, so you know I am not attacking you personally. We just need others to have the same passion also...............

sorry if the Tohatsu parity issues are being brought up here in YOUR thread, but I just tried to use it as an example.

now, I am open to being trashed on now...........
                          Last edited by mercguy; 11-11-2006, 06:47 PM.
                          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

No need to trash

I don't think anyone will be doing any trashing. The world takes all types to spin. All perspectives. Thats why I asked. I have been self employed so long that my view is most skewed as an entrepanuer. Thats how I think. I face challenges every day. I look for solutions. At the end of the day , we are all doing this because we are so passionate about our little hobby. And reasonable people that we are can maybe not agree of the path to take but are still walking to the same destination.
                            we all cool little fonzies
                            I hope I can help form some sort of plan to help move forwards. I am truly committed to all Kneeldowns gain members.
                            I'm off the computer for a while. I am going to put some effort into making my D-Mod more competitive. Big B - You are too good to me. missed seeing ya around this year.
                            good night and good luck

Comment

Working...
                            X