Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Millville NJ Sanction Question

The Fall Millville Sanction reads:

"No one under 13 is permitted to race. Any NJ residents between ages 13-16, MUST show proof of NJ Boaters Safety Course at registration, or they will not be permitted to race or operate a boat."

So the way I'm reading this, Austin, a 15 year old Maryland resident can race without proof of the NJ Boaters Safety Course. Which would be a change from NJ races held earlier this year.

Am I right?
    @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
    72@E
    Former Boat Racer
    21st Century: CSH, CSR, and "J Dad" x2
    20th Century: ASH, ASR, BSR, 25SSH, 25SSR

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Safety

Most states recognize boating safety courses from other states. Someone should check with the NJ Marine Police.
    !"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."

Comment

Carded

Austin has completed the official Maryland Boating Course required by Maryland law and can provide a card as proof.
      @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
      72@E
      Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

New Jersey Problems

According to NJ state law, NO ONE under the age of 16 can operate the stuff we race. NJ law allows a person who completes a New Jersey boater safety course who is between 13 and 16 to operate a boat with an electric motor or a boat larger than 12 feet long with less than 10 horsepower, only. Since our J and AXS classes use gas engines and are have boats smaller than 12 feet in length, the 13-16 year-old exception for completion of the boating course would not apply.

NJ law does not allow anyone under 16 who is not a resident of NJ, even if they have a valid permit from another state, to operate any watercraft in NJ (this probably violates the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the U.S. Constitution).

The law was changed recently and apparently a previous exception to all boating laws for properly sanctioned regattas, was removed.

Here is the law:

(1)a person who is under 16 years of age but at least 13 years of age and possesses a certificate certifying that person's successful completion of a boat safety course approved by the Superintendent of State Police in the Department of Law and Public Safety may operate:

(a)a power vessel powered solely by an electric motor; or

(b)a power vessel which is 12 feet or greater in length and powered by a motor, or combination of motors, of less than 10 horsepower;

(2)A person who is under 16 years of age and has successfully completed an approved boat safety course prior to July 1, 1996 may operate a power vessel on the tidal waters of this State, provided that the person complies with all other requirements of law, rule and regulation; and

(3)A person who is under 16 years of age and was issued an operator's license pursuant to section 7 of P.L.1954, c.236 (C.12:7-34.7) before July 1, 1996 may operate a power vessel equipped with an outboard motor until the expiration date of that license.

b.As provided in the schedule set forth in section 7 of P.L.2005, c.292, as of June 1, 2008, a person who is 16 years of age or older shall not operate a power vessel, including a personal watercraft, on the waters of this State without having completed a boat safety course approved by the Superintendent of State Police in the Department of Law and Public Safety, except that:

(1)(Deleted by amendment, P.L.2005, c.292).

(2)an out-of-State resident, or a resident of a foreign country who is 16 years of age or older and who will be in this State for less than 90 days may operate a power vessel on the waters of this State, without having completed a boat safety course approved by the Superintendent of State Police in the Department of Law and Public Safety if the person presents:

(i)written proof of successful completion of a boat safety course endorsed or approved by another state, the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators or its successor organization, or the United States Coast Guard;

(ii) written proof of successful completion of a boat safety course substantially similar to the boat safety course required pursuant to this section as determined by the Superintendent of State Police; or

(iii) a boat safety certificate issued by the state or country in which the person resides;
        Last edited by 14-H; 09-06-2006, 03:22 PM.
        14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Clarification

Thanks for the clarification. Kevin Stupp told me several folks are working to get this changed. We hope they are successful.
          @@@@@@@@@@@@

Mark Ritchie
          72@E
          Former Boat Racer

@@@@@@@@@@@@

Comment

Wow . . .

The way I read that law, everyone must have a boating course to operate a vessel within the borders of New Joisey. Sure glad I grew up in simpler times (less nanny-state lawyers) because that law would have wrecked my childhood. It also validates the teen age cry, "I'm bored!" Yeah, no duh, everyhing fun has been regulated out of existance.
            carpetbagger

Comment

lock haven

Hi my name is jon pizzuto and i am a huge fan of boat racing i have been attending races in lock haven for over 15 years. I rember watching the races from my aunt's doc which is now where you guys pit. She owns The Village Tavern which is now on the lock haven side of the river. My only regret is not getting involved in the racing which i would still like to do someday i'm just not sure where to get started? I currently live in lancaster, pa.

Comment

a way to void it

i am goin for my boaters liences and my safety test soon an that will make me able to test one jersey waters and race on them too
                Johnny Wlodarski III
                24J

Comment

Originally posted by jon pizzuto
                  Hi my name is jon pizzuto and i am a huge fan of boat racing i have been attending races in lock haven for over 15 years. I rember watching the races from my aunt's doc which is now where you guys pit. She owns The Village Tavern which is now on the lock haven side of the river. My only regret is not getting involved in the racing which i would still like to do someday i'm just not sure where to get started? I currently live in lancaster, pa.
                  Start by coming to the race at Millville and watching and asking questions ... just walk up to one of the trailers and introduce yourself

Comment

Originally posted by jon pizzuto

Hi Jon,

http://www.apba-racing.com/categories.html

The attached link is to APBA (American Powerboat Racing Association) web site where you will be able to read about all of the different forms of boat racing APBA has to offer. At the Lock Haven race, you have watched boats from the Stock, Pro and Mod categories. You will also be able to find a local club from the APBA web site and once you have done that, I recommend you contact the club and they will be able to fill you in with more details. Good Luck and I hope you find what your looking for.
                    Joe Silvestri
                    CSH/500MH

Dominic Silvestri
                    JH/JR

Comment

Working...
                    X