1960's Speedliner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldRacerBU View Post

We hope to have the boat skined within the next 2 weeks so it will be ready for a water test within a month. We will run it with a whole series of A and B engines, to include a Martin 200, Champ HOT Rod, Merc 20-H, KG-4H, KG-7H, 25SS, 25XS and a couple A & B mod engines.

Were also thinking of building the boat in a 12 foot version and a 9.5 foot model. Like to run my C on it for kicks.

Alan
    It is great to see that you are building these fine boats again. I wish you the best with your boat building efforts. There is a great deal of interest in the classic stuff. I am actually amazed how many people are actively involved. So, there is a definite market for your boats. That's for sure.

As to what you said above in regards to testing different engines including the 25XS..... I have always thought it would be interesting to run an older design boat such as a Speedliner or Sid-Craft reproduction against the modern day boats. I think it would be very interesting. And the results might come out very different than most people would assume.

Also, have you tried Harbor Freight in Baltimore, MD for the plywood? Maybe you already mentioned this in a previous post and I missed it.

Best wishes and I too am looking forward to seeing the finished boat!

Barry Rees
    Green Lane, PA

Comment

Early Pictures

The first picture is at the Speedliner factory in 1965 pick up the last Speedliner I purchased. There was one other boat left and I was told no more would be built. At that same time I was offered to purchase the plans and patterns for the boat. Those are the plans we use to build the Aeroliner.

33N is one of the boats we built for a customer, around 1967.
      Attached Files

Comment

Getting close to the end of boat 1

We have nearly completed the first reissue of the Aeroliner (Speedliner) Model 510. Here are a couple pictures of the boat, the only thing left are the final varnish.
        Attached Files

Comment

Aeroliners

Hi Dave- Thanks for the E mail. The boat is looking really good. Wish my old bones would allow me to take a ride again. My last run in a race boat was a few years ago in a DU Speedliner with a KG9 at Constantine, MI AOMC meet a FEW years ago.Had also tried a BU Clarkcraft with 20H a year or so earlier.
          Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al Lang

Comment

Nearly done

Here are some of the latest shots.
            Attached Files

Comment

Aeroliner now complete

We just have the number to install and then it out to the pond. Here are the latest pictures
              Attached Files

Comment

Speedliner

Dave- looks like the beginning for the Sea Jay line. Looks very close to my old CU and C/D Sea Jays.
                Looking Great.
                Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al Lang

Comment

1960's Speedliner

My Dad had one of these. He raced it in marathons in the 36 class around 1963.
                  Last edited by Gootz 142M; 02-11-2007, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Speedliner/Sea Jay

I bought one of the last Speedliners directly from the factory in St Joe MO in August 1965. I have the Bill of Sale and pictures of the Speedliner Decals on the boat. A week latter we bought the plans and patterns for the Speedliner Model 510. In October of 1965 my brother and I with the help of a few friends started on building these boats as Aeroliner's. We built mainly the A/B version but we also built others including a 36 Class for our friend Anker (69N).

If there is any interest we could build one anyone interested.

Comment

Don't know where he got his from but he loved it!!! great rough water boat he tells me. He would run the Belle Isle to Trenton race and tells me that the Trenton Channel was the "good" water!!!!
                      Big waves along the way.........

Comment

As we start building the later model Speedliner M-510 we are thinking of building the older model, 1954 to about 1957 open cockpit model M-510. I would like to get photos of the both from anyone who has them. i have the old do***entation on my 1955 boat and a few phots but need a few more of the transom, cockpits and bottom.
                        Thanks Alan

Comment

Areoliners

Gootz- Water was especially especially GOOD when the Bob Lo boats were running. I remember when the national marathon was run around Mud Island,
                          and one of the Long Island guys didn't judge the wake. Needless to say, he
                          took his bath early in the day. Don't remember his name as he came later than I ran. He was running with Bill Jefferys who won running his Merc 36
                          class.
                          Alan/Dave- Have you heard from Anker lately? I E mailed him several times after he PMed me about my E mail change. Keep us abreast of your testing and any other boats you build.
                          Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al
                          P.S. Did you ever run against the Porkster (Tom Glock) in NJ?

Comment

Mud Island !!!

Geezer, i watched a lot of races up and down that river, and i've never seen that any where else. These days if there's more than a 6" chop or so they call the race. Speedliners were sure in those days.
                            RichardKCMo
                            RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Trenton Channel races

Richard- Did you spend any time at the yearly Trenton Channel races? The stock boys did get a work out with the wakes bouncing off the grand stand sea wall. Didn't seem to bother the OPC tunnels unless they got too close.
                              Did miss several races when AOMC held their Constantine, MI Super Meet on the same weekend. Do miss the races since moving to the desert.
                              Ye Olde Desert Geezer Al

Comment

Anker 69N

I gave Anker your email a couple of weeks ago, he was trying to contact you. The other person from NJ I do not remember. We ran in NJ, PA, NY and CT. I ran in the 1969 So nationals at Hinton, WV and once in the regionals in MA. At Hinton I rand AU, BU and DU. The D was Chris Neilson's rig, for some reason he just did not feel like driving so I took my first ride in a D at the Nationals as Chris Neilson.

Comment

Working...
                                X