• Show
Clear All

• I just kept thinking about Nick'

'I just kept thinking about Nick'

Chillicothe driver killed in accident Friday on mind of 250 Hydro winner

Monday, July 31, 2006

BY LONNIE SCHWINDENHAMMER
    OF THE JOURNAL STAR

DePUE - Driving in the final race of the 2006 American Power Boat Association Pro national championships, Chris Hellsten couldn't help but think about the tragic cir***stances under which the event began.
    Hellsten won the first two heats in 250 Hydro on Sunday at Lake DePue. His third-place finish in the finale was good enough to earn him his first national title in that class.

"I was thinking about Nick (Davis)," said Hellsten, a veteran driver from Orlando, Fla. "I knew third would be good enough for first for me. I just kept thinking about Nick. I feel for his family."

Davis, a 37-year-old racer from Chillicothe, died from injuries sustained in a collision during a 500 Hydro Sprint race Friday. The accident occurred on the first lap of the first race.

Many of the racers displayed Davis' "V-38" national number on their hulls for the remainder of the weekend. His visitation will be from 5-8 tonight at Weber-Hurd Funeral Home in Chillicothe. Burial is scheduled for 11 a.m. Tuesday.

More than $3,000 was collected for Davis' family during the first two days of competition. His widow, Lauri, and stepson Josh Burton, also a racer, were in attendance Sunday.

"You find out at a time like this how much people really care," Lauri Davis said.

SPLIT SECONDS: David Hooten of Titusville, Fla., won the 1100 Hydro title based on time.

Hooten and Jamie Nilsen were tied in points after each had a first, a second and a disqualification in the first three heat races.

Hooten's average heat-time of 5:50.0 earned him the $2,200 prize money for first place in the top Hydro class. Nilsen, whose average time was 6:02, took home $1,100 for finishing second.

HANGING ON FOR FIRST: Mike Thirlby drove to two firsts and a second to win in 1100 Runabout, the only Pro national class for two-person boats. Collin Thirlby, 16, Mike's nephew, served as deck rider.

"I just hang on and lean into the corners," said Collin Thirlby, who was thrown into the lake following his first national-title ride.

JUMPING THE GUN: An early-start disqualification in the first 125 Hydro heat cost Buddy Tennell a chance at the title. Tennell went on to win the next two heats, but Billy Allen took home the championship.

Allen, from Quincy, Mass., won twice in the first two rounds of split heats. He was second to Tennell in the third heat.

"I couldn't have passed him if I wanted to," Allen said. "He was faster."

Tennell won the O-175 world championship.

SQUEEZE AND PULL: Rich Krier of Indianola, Iowa, won all three heats to win the national title in 350 Runabout for the third consecutive year.

"You just squeeze the throttle and pull the pipes and hope for the best," he said."

Lonnie Schwindenhammer can be reached at 686-3214 or lschwindenahammer@pjstar.com.
    HTML Code:

"https://twitter.com/HydroRacerTV?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw" class="twitter-follow-button" data-show-count="false">Follow @HydroRacerTV

i'm realy sorry for your lost.i have 2 daughters that race one 10 and the other 13 my heart is in my throught when they race.my thoughts are with you in this time of need

Comment

Working...
    X