Tragedy in Madison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tragedy in Madison

I just got back from the regatta. The final heat of racing was cancelled. I was standing about fifty yards away when this accident happened in the packed spectator area. The report from the street was that a young driver was trying to outrun the police and made a wrong turn down the main street running down to the river race site. Never even tried to make the turn at the bottom, ran through two tents and a golf cart before ending up in the river. I saw some people jump in and get a couple of people out of the car as it was sinking. The early report is that there is at least one death and there are still some people missing. It's 6pm and there is a scheduled press conference at 7pm. I'll try to give an update then.
    Let's hope I'm wrong and everybody comes out okay.
    Brent Simmons
    20-P

PS They fought the river all weekend. The first boat didn't get on the water until Sunday morning. They lost 3 unlimiteds during that practice time. Ran 2 sets of heats. Almost had a major tragedy in the second heat when local boat O'boy Oberto lost his rudder on the starting line at 190 and took a HARD left just missing the flag ship in the middle of the course that was full of people. i still don't know how he didn't flip. The river was really high with some debris from the rains out east. Then there was a pretty stiff 30 mph wind straight up the starting shoot. They cancelled the vintage right away and never got the 2.5 limiteds on the water.

That's terrible news.

Here's the Steve David spin out video...wow.

www.abrahydroplanes.com
    www.trora.com

Comment

Update

They just had a press conference and this is what was reported. There was no police chase. The driver was a local 18 year old boy. He was observed by the police at the street entrance into the spectator area as being slumped over the steering wheel and traveling at a high rate of speed. The street there is sloped faily steep going down to the river. There was nobody in the golf cart, but 11 people were injured. Four including the driver were air lifted to trauma centers in Louisville. No other injury report was given. There was a passenger in the car, but is underage and waiting on parents before they are going to interview. They are doing a seach of the river at this time. Next press conference is scheduled for 9am Monday.
      Let's hope there is good news.
      Brent Simmons
      20-P

Comment

Just found this from Louisville TV:

http://www.whas11.com/topstories/sto....1c165402.html
        www.trora.com

Comment

Working...
        X