Constantine !! WOW !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constantine !! WOW !

Congratulations to the Michigan Hydroplane Racing Association. What a great job you all did for all of us. The turnout was superb (176 entries on Saturday, I think?) The racing was top notch. And, what a tradition...50 years at the same race site. The American Legion must go broke fixing food for all of us and our pit crews. They are wonderful hosts.
    I had an opportunity to see some great sportsmanship during my stint as turn judge that I wanted to share. On Saturday, Tracy Johnston spun-out in turn #1 while in the middle of the lead pack, Ed Harrington, just behind, couldn't avoid impacting her in her hydro. She was too close and there were boats on both sides of him. The collision threw him out of his boat and he cart-wheeled 15-20 away from the boats. Tracy was pinned in the wreckage because the two hydros were imbedded in each other. Despite Ed's injuries he swam hard over to Tracy and actually got to her before the rescue boat pulled up. Luckily, Tracy's leg injuries and Ed's arm injuries weren't too serious. But it was a great demonstration grit and sportsmanship.
    On Sunday, while out in the wind and rain in turn #2 we saw Mark Pugh blow-over in one of the most dramatic, and scary flips that I have witnessed. He and Jimmy Robb were accelerating neck'n neck down the back stretch at full speed in DMH when a gust caught Mark's hydro. One sponson came out of the water, then, the whole boat lifted before he could get off the throttle. It went almost pure vertical, then rolled rapidly and spit Mark out the side. He must have been accelerating thru at least 80 MPH because he tumbled across the surface of the water at least 3 times before he finally disappeared in the spray. Rescue got him on the big 'surfboard' and I'm told he has neck and back injuries. Guess who were the first visitors in the local hospital? Yep, Jim and Jimmy Robb. What a great bunch of racers.
    Again, congratulations to MHRA for a fantastic race weekend. Mike Marshall, Raceboat61-S

all is well...

Thankfully Tracy and Ed are both fine...
    But it might be last time the Race Director and the Chief Scorer of a big Divisionals race are allowed to be on the water together at the same time. lol...

Mark Pugh is OK as well. Jimmy bought him back from the hostipal just after the race ended. He will be sore from his neck strain is all. Thank goodness...

Thank you to all who came!!
    kladd-

Comment

Constantine

Thanks to all who came out to Constantine and to all the racers who did an excellent job of making my job easier. It was a pleasure to work with each and every one of you (even the ones that I had to do incident reports on! ). Stay safe!

Karen Duffield
      MHRA Risk Manager

Comment

Sportsmanship

Speaking of sportsmanship at Constantine, how about story about Joey Z. in 25XSH.
        I know he was acknowledged at the trophy presentation and he is my racing partner but it was an incredible act of sportsmanship

Joe was going on plane in 25XSH. He looked over and saw a rookie sitting half way out on the course pulling away on his motor. Joe idled over, shut his motor off and grabbed the back of the rookies boat. He worked with him to set the throttle correctly, held the back up and got the rig started.

The new driver came over afterwards and thanked Joe and mentioned that the reason he wanted to try hydroplane racing was the camaraderie he witnessed going to some races.

We all need to keep that in mind with our new drivers. Go out of your way once in a while to make them feel welcome.

Thanks MHRA. Very well run Divisionals. There was some great racing. John Evans, a CSR driver said the coolest thing he saw was 12 CSH’s lined up in a row flying up to the starting line…wonder if it was the one where almost everyone jumped…
        Congratulations to all the winners.

Tom Kargus

Comment

At'a guy -------"SUPER JOE"!! (Anyone got a pic of that Super man outfit?)
          Watched Joe help Brian Rossman at Hanawa Falls two years ago when they were both contenders for high points at end of year,.........Brian had trouble with carb. Joe looked and found a heavy/leak'n float. Joe fixed it so they could do battle. One of the best races I've seen in 25SSH! (Anyone remenmber who won?.......... )

25SSH results? ...........Any of ya going to Waterford?

19P
          100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

What it's all about!!!!

Yep, Joe Z. is the example of true sportsmanship. I was on the recieving end of his generousity at Burlington. Just got on the course & did a dumb thing & popped the kill switch off with my knee. Was struggling to get the 25mod refired when out of the corner of my eye this black boat slides up & the driver lays over the bow & picks up the back of my boat to steady it for me. YEP!!! it was Joe Z. I just got done beating him in the first heat & there were plenty of us to run the 2nd heat without me. I can't tell you how humbled I was to have the honor of knowing that I race against this guy time & time again. We are pretty fierce competitors on the course but, respect & help each other at any given time always. If each one of us carried this attitude to each race we'd pretty much have the perfect sport.
            After the heat, a big thank you & hand shakes were exchanged. It's not the first time & won't be the last that I shake Joe's hand for our racing encounters. It was one of the closest races I've had with him on both days. Wide open, inches apart for 3 laps each heat. AWSOME!!!!
            Thanks again Joe! Karl 9W.

Comment

Joe Z

What a guy! As I pulled into Burlington after dark and not knowing were to go. Joe jumped in his Van and flage me down. I pitted right next to him for the weekend and also had the pleasure to do patrol boat duty with him. See you at the Nat's Joe.
              Mark
              G-11
              125H
              When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
              Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

It just goes to show you how important great parents are these days. The entire Zolkoske family has been for years one of the greatest families us Brewsters have come to know over the years in our sport. They're just great people....Joe's Dad, Mom, Chuck, Dennis, Paul, Michelle & Kelly are all wonderful people.

It's great to have at least one of them keeping the tradition alive as it brings back so many great memories for my parents, Jack & Joan.

Way to go Joe!

Jerry
                www.trora.com

Comment

Working...
                X