Region 7 to Constantine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Region 7 to Constantine

For you guys going to the Central Divisionals at Constantine this weekend, here's my advice on getting through Chicago. First, DO NOT GO DOWNTOWN. In otherwords, do not take the Chicago Skyway. In order to get there you have to take the Dan Ryan on the South side and you'll never make it.

Take I-294 and go around the west side of Chicago and listen to the radio. It is toll so bring your wallet. Listen to AM 560 or AM 890 and listen for the reports for "80/94 Eastbound". If there are long delays on 80/94 eastbound then exit from I-294 at the last exit before you reach I-80 (ie: north of 80). That is US6/159th St and go east. Follow US6 to the River Oaks Mall and US6/159th runs into River Oaks Drive. Follow that into Indiana. This is traffic light-traffic but it beats the blockage on 80/94 on the south side.

US6/159th/RO Drive becomes 165th Ave in Indiana. Take it several blocks once in Indiana to Calumet Avenue. Turn right and go south on Calumet till you reach 80/94. Take 80/94 East. It will be smooth sailing in Indiana. Follow signs to exit onto the Indiana toll road (80/90); you'll have to cross over to get to the toll road. Take the toll road to the Bristol, Indiana/ SR 13 exit and go north to Constantine.

Good luck. Ed.
    14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Constantine

Hey Ed,

294/80 is all torn up as well. Two seasons in Chicago----Winter and Road Work.

Might want to think for those close to Rt. 39 to take it down to 80 then take I-57 south to US 30. Stoplight brigade to I-65 north a couple of miles to 80 and then take the Middlebury exit, next one beyond Bristol and a short straight shot right into Constantine.

Nice job at Huntington last week, fun announcing such a "large" mucky muck.

Ray

Comment

Alt for Badgers

Ray is right, 294 is not good either and the US 30 suggestion is a good one, unless you are from Wisconsin. So here's an alternate for those from Wisconsin but make sure you lock the doors.

Take 94 south to 90 East (Eisenhower) towards downtown Chicago. However, exit at the Ashland Avenue Exit and go south. Pay attention because if you make it to downdown, you've gone too far and you'll be stuck.

You will go south for what seems like forever and then go left/east on 67th Street. Take 67th east and go to Lafayette Street which is right next to the Dan Ryan. Look for the signs that say south bound 94/Dan Ryan but DON'T GET ON THE RYAN. You'll see the backed up south bound traffic on the Ryan that you just drove around. Head south to the enterchange where you can go NORTH on the Ryan. I think the interchange is at 71st (which is only 4 blocks south of 67th). Make a left on 71st and go across the Ryan, make another left and go north on State Street (which ain't such a "great street" in this area). Then onto the Ryan (94 North) and go north (northbound won't be bad and you're not going far). Then exit to the Chicago Skyway (I-90) and go east to Indiana (it's only a few blocks so pay attention). Follow the Skyway to the Indiana Toll Road and exit at the Middlebury, IN Exit/ SR 13 and go north to Constantine.

This also is stop-and-go but you'll avoid the Dan Ryan which you should not get on southbound for any reason or you won't make Constantine till Sunday. Ed.
      Last edited by 14-H; 06-12-2006, 10:39 AM.
      14-H

Comment

Originally posted by RLR
        *** next one beyond Bristol and a short straight shot right into Constantine.

Ray
        Ray: You are correct: SR 13 is Middlebury not Bristol; Bristol is SR 15 and is a jog to the east. Take the SR13/Middlebury exit. Ed.
        14-H

Comment

If the winds are less then 10 knots, I'm taking my 25 hydro across the big pond. 3-W

Comment

roflmbo @ the visual image of Joe with pontoons made out of kegs. duct taped on the 25 with a couple cases of "millwalky" kool-aid as a seat towing a runabout half full of gas-oil mix due east yelling seeya when you get there im takin the short cut

Comment

Joe on the pond

Hey,

I found a picture of Joe Joe going to Constantine...
              Attached Files

Comment

Osy400 ??

Joe's rig has a paddle...must be a legal OSY400...

Comment

It's too long, he's getting a written warning for that.

Comment

Skyway??

Ed,

Why is the Skyway screwed up. Last time thru, once you got on south of the Loop, you were pretty much home free except for some finishing construction around Gary(steel plants) prior to HWY 65.

What gives!!??

Warbs
                    64*W

Comment

CHI-Town

Is there a web page that shows construction and delays from the FIB's(AKA Friendly Illinois Buddies)

Warbs
                      64*W

Comment

not that I know of Steve . The construction sites in the chicago area (the whole state fo that matter ) seem to spring up where you least expect them.
                        in fact sometimes it seems to be more due to pork spending than need. ( yes im a cynic) BTW YOU CAN BE MAILED A SPEEDING IN CONSTRUCTION SITE TICKET WITH OUT EVER SEEING A COP due to a new radar and Camera system the state is using.
                        on the other hand the roads in the chicago land area can change alot in just 6 monthes due to the huge traffic load of cars and trucks funneled thu from points east to points west and the reverse. that dont even want to go to chi. town as you well know
                        I still think someone that had either a lot of money or a lot of credit could start a HUGE ferry from southern wi. to east of gary in. and in short order be in contention with B. Gates for who has the most bucks in the bank lol

Comment

Constantine

Steve,
                          The Dan Ryan has torn up the commuter lanes and only the local lanes are available. If you hit it right coming out of Chicago, the Skyway is in good shape, the only issue is that an outbound rush is going to be pretty messy. By the way the Skyway exit is now on the left so be in the number 1 lane to enter it.

Ray

Comment

Yup!

Originally posted by Steve Warnock
                            Is there a web page that shows construction and delays from the FIB's(AKA Friendly Illinois Buddies)

Warbs
                            www.gcmtravel.com/gcm/maps_chicago.jsp
                            www.cbs2chicago.com/traffic
                            Last edited by 17W; 06-14-2006, 11:21 AM.
                            17W

"You gotta do the work"- Pop Trolian

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Warnock
                              Ed,

Why is the Skyway screwed up. Last time thru, once you got on south of the Loop, ***

Warbs

Steve: It's not the skyway that's the problem. It's the gettin' to it that is. The Dan Ryan is the "once you got south of the loop" that will cause you to miss the whole race. Ed.
                              14-H

Comment

Working...
                              X