I’m not being negative.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how about something simple

Lots of good discussion here. How about we do something that is easy and practically free to increase our exposure.

Look at the APBA sticker on your boat. What does that sticker tell you? Nothing. The words " American Power Boat Association" need to be spelled out, PLUS the APBA website needs to be there as well.

Who can change this? 14H do you know?

Bill III

PS we as a group need to take way more pride in what we have/do. I have never ever had a person some up to me and look at my boat and say "That's dumb" or something to that effect. It is always "wow! you go how fast in that? On the water!?! Cool" It is cool, but no one else is going to think that if we don't act like it is cool and worthwhile. Take pride in your sport and PROMOTE it.
    Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

I agree with Ryan and Bill (Yes Ryan it does happen ) if every State had 12 local races (and the local racers to support them) then the State championships And Regionals, begin to once again MEAN something.
      it is much easyer to get people to paticapate when they can do it close to home. I have friends that WILL NOT go to races with us just because they know they would like it and dont want to have to travel for their sport
      even though they feel it is safer than motocross. but they can spend the bucks on equipment instead of getting to and from the races. and still be home most of the weekend to get those dang homeowner projects done for their wife ect. as most of the races they attend for dirt bikes are 2 hrs or less from home they can do both.
      If you have one race in an area per year you will get a few spectators
      if you have races every other weekend in a area you will get more regular spectators plus new racers and potential new business sponsors will want to sponsor US (the local race,local club, local racers and therfor the org. that sanctions those races) for the local exposure it gets them.

Comment

I agree with Ryan and Bill, I do not think series racing is the way to go. Think if every state had 6 races a season. You would be able to hang on to the fringe racer because he could run his rig 12 times a summer and stay in his home state. The number tend to prove this out. From an observation standpoint Region & seems to me to be living it. A few years ago they had 2-3 races a season. Now they have 6 races, you can get all your points by staying in Region 7. It sure seems like they have picked up some new blood as well. Bill, am I right here.... Now think if WI had six races and IL as well....we need to work through all the logistics of $ and such, but I think our membership goes as far as races go. Although region 5 has a lot of racers and does not seem to be adding many racers.....

Tough question, but I think I would funnel SO promo. $ to supporting races in struggling regions. You may even give them incentives to earn the $. Lets say you want to put on a race in Georgia a struggling region APBA waves the sanction fee, SO promo fund pays the insurance as long as you get 5 new APBA members to join and race. This would incentives the struggling clubs to get new racers. APBA makes out they are a membership organization and they just grew by 5 members, like wise for Stock or MOD. ect. The promotional video cost 5k to produce and I think it was worth every penny. However, you could almost cover two races for that money. Now the problem becomes officials ect., literally volunteers to put on the event and that we need to work on....

No easy answers....

I want to also point out though, we are not dying! We have been flat for seven years. I am not saying that is good, but we are not declining we just are not growing.

CSH12M

Comment

Originally posted by BP125V
          A strong local schedule is the ONLY way the sport will grow, regardless of the other issues.

Bill III
          I agree with Bill on this. I bet all of us have heard from our friend and our co-workers, you drive 8 hours to race 6 minutes and don't win anything. They then look at you like your nuts.

Bill let's race at Rochelle every month!?!?!
          "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Funny Story

Bill's point about the APBA sticker reminded me of a story I had. A few summers ago I had a sticker on the back window of my truck. A group of guys were standing around talking in a parking lot and asked me if I was a professional bowler. I start cracking up, but they thought it was the American Pro Bowling Association or something. It was very funny at the time, but really it doesn't help our marketing much. I sat there and explained what it really stood for and they all asked questions for 5-10 minutes. Imagine how many people would ask questions if they read something about power boat racing, rather then assuming we are bowlers.

Every weekend we go race at least one person asks a question while we are filling up at a gas station. Whether its, "What are them things, little water go-carts?" or "Are those things little airplanes or what?" The small conversation and being able to direct them to a local race (not one 300 miles away) is a way to get people interested. Tell them to get a hold of you if/when they come to a race, make yourself the contact person and get them hooked. I'm not sure how many copies of the DVD we can get or make ourselves, but if everyone has a stack of them in their vehicle, they can hand them to people with questions and let them go home and watch them. I think the movie is a HUGE first step and its a good way to get our marketing going in the right direction.

Remember we're all boat racers, not professional bowlers.

Comment

I, too, agree with Ryan and Bill. Closer races to home is definitely the most logical idea. We're willing to travel 8-12 hours for just a weekend race because many of us have grown up with this sport.

I know in Region 4, we have so few local races that we depend on other regions to support us. For example, there is Sharptown, MD, Denton, MD, NO stock races in VA at all, the recently added Wilson, NC...and we MIGHT me going to back to Camden, NC. Those are ALL of the Region 4 races I can think of off the top of my head.

We depend on people to come up from Region 5 and down from Region 3 and people come from all over the place, but there are so few racers/races, that we can hardly support ourselves.
              But a promotional video may get a someone interested in racing, but when he/she finds out his/her second closest race is 6 hours away...that CAN'T be encouraging them to join our sport.
              This idea has been stated A LOT on this site, and I'm sure discussed in various other times and places. But, sitting in our computer chairs, with our fingers tapping on the keyboard, is NOT going to get our sport the way we want it.

Allie Runne
              The Runne's: Born with plastic sporks in their mouths.

Comment

Mini Series Racing

This is a great discussion and I was wondering...Has anyone thought about mini series racing?? Combining races between a couple regions for example....region 6 and 7 or 2 and 3.....each region sets up 3 or 4 races a season, they coordinate their schedule and than the drivers support all the races. That is 6 or 8 races with half the work by each club or region.
                The USTS does not race every weekend. One race per month with the goal being 4 weeks apart with the exception of speedweek. This makes planning easy for the drivers. We have found that most of our guys don't mind the travel because of the core group that always shows up and they prefer 6 or 8 big races a year to a bunch of smaller races where we sit and wonder who will show up.
                The overall numbers are consistent, the club membership is up, the class demographics change as drivers get older and more or less bold. When you can guarantee 100 entries to a sponsor and 50-60 trailers and a 4 hr show you can sell it. We try real hard to find well populated race sites that will draw a crowd which also helps get sponsors. We also try to spread the races around so the driving distance is somewhat equal for everyone at the end of the season.I do realize it is NOT for everyone and it is not perfect by any means but it works very well for east coast PRO racing.

Kristi

Kristi Z-22

PRO Commissioner

APBA BOD

"Ask not what your racing organization can do for you...Ask what you can do for your racing organization"
                Tomtall 06

Comment

Race to the Bahamas ???

Methinks Phil Defebo did that about 10 years ago. A couple classes eligable, and selected races in Region 3 & 4 made up the package. Worked well.
                  carpetbagger

Comment

ADD: Ideas and What Is Working....

From what I hear of NBRA, they run four heats of hydros, together...and four heats of runabouts.... I man only needs a ONE hydro and ONE runabout to race in all races... I've heard, no first hand knowledge here, that the slow boat figure out how to stay out of the way of the fast boats AND THE FAST BOATS DO THE SAME...

WHY DO KNEELER HAVE TO BE KNEELERS OR LAY DOWNS??? Why not a set down hydro class??? When I got tired of testing, in my DSH, I use to sit on my but and drive...If reinforced cockpits and sitting were required designs would change. Things like power trim could be used...ELECTRIC STARTERS could be required...

My brother pointed out an interesting thing today...Of the 32 "A" Hydros in the 1949 Hearst Regatta, of which he won, almost all the engine were'nt KR Johnsons...They were made from World War II, "PUMPERS" (Johnson made "Pumpers" to fight fires on ships, for the Navy)...The reason there were "PUMPERS" as they were cheaper that RACING KR's...).

I have a 45 SS TUNNEL FOR SALE, for lest that Gary Lewis wants for an "A" Stock Hydro...My 45 is complete on a trailer...boat, motor, trailer, propeller....

Looking at the boat in Alexanderia, I realized that many had a lot of money in thier rigs....and to beat these people, in any class, would cost more than most people have. Gary Lewis told me he had $50,000 in a 20, c and A hydro....add travel, add time away from work...the sport becomes too expensive for the rewards...

What class in kneelers can you get a good motor for under $4,000 or $5,000??

Comment

Ron

Unlike most motor sports, " You can't buy victory or success in Stock Outboard". The money doesn't get you to the starting line on time. The money doesn't give you the intestinal fortitude to tough it out in the first turn. The money doesn't make you a better or smarter or more consistant driver. You can buy all the best stuff in the world but it won't make you a winner. The winners are the people that work the hardest on their rigs, take care of every last detail and focus on being the best they can be. The tougher the competition is, the tougher you have to be. If you want to be the best, you have to race against the best. This motor sport is not expensive, far from it. That is why we love it.
                      John Runne 2-Z
                      John Runne
                      2-Z

Stock Outboard is all about a level playing field.

True parity is one motor per class.

It's RACING, not just another boat ride!

NOT a representative of Racing Outboards LLC.

Comment

Kristi region seven is kinda that way now a wisc. race may be a BSOA race but MRC is there and helps a bunch and an il. race will be MRC with the Badger State guys and gals helping out as needed

Comment

Originally posted by Ron Hill

WHY DO KNEELER HAVE TO BE KNEELERS OR LAY DOWNS??? Why not a set down hydro class??? When I got tired of testing, in my DSH, I use to sit on my but and drive...If reinforced cockpits and sitting were required designs would change. Things like power trim could be used...ELECTRIC STARTERS could be required...
                          Looking at the boat in Alexanderia, I realized that many had a lot of money in thier rigs....and to beat these people, in any class, would cost more than most people have. Gary Lewis told me he had $50,000 in a 20, c and A hydro....add travel, add time away from work...the sport becomes too expensive for the rewards...

What class in kneelers can you get a good motor for under $4,000 or $5,000??
                          Why do kneelers have to be kneelers or laydowns?? Because we like them that way I guess. If we wanted to sit down we would run tunnels or inboards.

What class in kneelers can you get a good motor for under $4,000 or $5,000?? I got a great 102 that was one of Gary's for less than half of that. Heck I got a complete rig, boat (2005) Dawecraft, motor, trailer, prop and safety gear less life jacket for under $4,000. None of it is junk either. It is all top notch stuff.
                          Last edited by Lights; 05-12-2006, 07:05 PM.
                          Mark
                          G-11
                          125H
                          When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

Ron Hill

With all due respect.... and truely you have earned it..
                            you are suggesting such a radical overhaul that it would drive the few of us left away. opc is just that, THE place for guys with worn out knee's , and need to be strapped in. I hope your fat C idea takes off and we can use it as a trial balloon. The basic program is still attractive to the rest of us. I don't believe the demand is there for your platform. I think OPC serves this niche well.
                            Steve

Comment

From what I hear of NBRA, they run four heats of hydros, together...and four heats of runabouts.... I man only needs a ONE hydro and ONE runabout to race in all races... I've heard, no first hand knowledge here, that the slow boat figure out how to stay out of the way of the fast boats AND THE FAST BOATS DO THE SAME...

Ron NBRA doesn't have the races set up like this. This is something the Oklahoma club is trying to promote. It's true that there is fewer classes in the NBRA than AOF and APBA but the race is run in the same manner.
                              Larry Mcafee

Comment

Lot of good here

Larry's right about NBRA, this style of racing format they call it was started because racing was in decline.

Some times only 7-10 trailers show up for a race, it takes three boats for a heat, shazaam 2 of each, heck of an 8-9 boat race.

I think someone said 4 heats a day for everyone. I haven't seen one of these yet. I plan on it this year though.

Now the killer, boat racing is and will be by participants for participants as long as everyone is part owner of the track even if they don't like racing.ie(taxpayer). I'm sure the private water tracks in this country can be counted on 1/2 of a hand.
                                RichardKCMo
                                RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Working...
                                X