I’m not being negative.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m not being negative.

Everyone has made some very good points about saving our sport.

The few huge obstacles are and always will be, who is going to do the work. We can’t get drivers to volunteer for patrol boat duty. John Runne scratched to go out in a patrol boat at the Winter Nationals race because no one would volunteer. That is freaking nuts! How many times have we all sat at a drivers meeting waiting to fill the workers sheets? Why is it you see the same 5 people doing all the work at the races? Unfortunately we’re no different than any other organization, 10% of the people do all the work. I’ll be willing to bet that the ones doing the work for our sport are the same ones volunteering at their church’s, schools, sports, concession stands….while 90% stand back and watch.

You are correct that if we don’t do something different we are not going to have a sport. Yes the same people seem to have been running this organization since the 70’s. Yes some are from the same families. The reasons...they care about the organization and we keep electing them.

Who wants to be the next S.O. chairman after Ed? We have heard one name mentioned in the past year. I would like to see someone run against Mike Ross. Run on a platform. Tell us what you think needs to be done. Put a budget together as to how we’re going to get where we want to go. Remember when we would go to the nationals and one night the guys that were going to run for VP would sit around and pitch their ides. Hell I bet some of you still have some Ernie for VP shim sticks. Let’s start electing different commissioners at our region meetings because every year it’s the same people. Let’s get some new blood in there.

How about the Stock Outboard division of APBA hire a promoter/marketing person. To really promote this sport and by that I mean find race sites, find sponsors, get manufactures involved, promote... One person would be kept pretty busy trying to cover the entire United States. So let’s assume we can hire one person pay them $100,000.00 plus expenses. They spend $30,000.00 on expenses and promotional material. (flying, golf, dinner, drinks, printing, promotional material…you get the point) $130,000.00 a year to save our sport? Maybe less? Maybe more? Where do we get $130,000.00? Charge the racers, right. That’s only $260.00 per driver per year.

You think we should get more for our $225.00 APBA registration fee? I just registered Thomas for baseball, 14 games. $100.00. What do we get for $100.00. We get to keep the t-shirt and it entitles me to sell 2 cases of candy bars for fundraising.

Don’t get me wrong, Marketing & Promoting is what makes every organization successful. We just need to figure out how we are going to accomplish that. The problem is we are not like most business. We change our leaders every few years. The new leaders come in and change it to their way of thinking. If businesses did that they would all go bankrupt.

Plan 2000 anyone?
    "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Hire

Hire that Marketing person . Trim the fat out of the National Meeting if need be. Downsize something. Stop doing what hasen't worked or we have taken for granted that Mercury would do. they won't. give me $10,000 to spend in the right place. I'll find us exposure. How many miles do you drive each summer? seeing the boats go down the road is cool, but help john Q public know more.
    = increase your membership= more workers+more revenue. we just have to have more depth.
    This plan should stay in place regardless of who is in charge. It should be able to adapt to change. this is about selling Boat racing* not rules and procedures.
    H**ll with the economy we will either be racing very close to home 5 times a year or going to three Big Series mini Nationals
    I just volunteered . I will not run for any elected duties though. I know my limitations and I am not the man for the job. It don't mean I won't do A job.

Comment

you got it

I know my brother asked the question in region 5 of the people who were running for ofc what they were going to do diffrent than the last person and he didn't get a answer and well we have no changes except you Howie great job for sure we just need 20 more of you and 80 less of the others and the sport would grow

Comment

One more little thing

I have no problem with the guy's in charge. I have some issues, of course but I would leave them all in if they would choose to stay. This is about guiding our leaders to a different approach. I have my mowing crew, do other things as they come up. No need for a purge. set a differn't goal, put some things on the backburner for awhile. everyone is capable here of doing the task as long as the task is identified. To me that has been the problem. It has been taken for granted that Merc -Omc would still care. since they don't, we must.
        Man 30 more bsoa members, can you imagine how that would lighten the load?
        Shouldn't have let Birling slip away. I miss the BBQ's

Comment

Birling is back part way!

Steve,

We're trying a new speaker system at Burlington to see if this might work at Wakefield, Bruce is suppling it and will be the announcer for the weekend. To bad you'll miss 2 days.

BBQ's, we can do those anyways.

Warbs
          64*W

Comment

What we need . . .

Is an Old Farts Brigade. Count me in. I love racing and no longer race, but can be lured to a race and put to work doing - something. If a racer decides to park it on the beach for whatever reason, that should be a club's cue to keep them involved in the sprot as support staff.
            carpetbagger

Comment

Mission Statement

Stock Outboard Mission Statement

Stock Outboard is a form of affordable, amateur, outboard powered boat racing, achieving maximum recognition and reasonable rewards for successful competitors. Our object is to have competitive equipment, commercially available to all competitors on an equal basis. We wish to promote this sport on a national level and support it on a local level, giving safety a foremost consideration.
              We will achieve this mission by:
              · Having a clearly defined set of rules. However, the General Racing Rules shall prevail in all situations not specifically covered in the Stock Outboard Rules.
              · Legislating up-to-date safety equipment, requirements, rules, and standardized interpretation.
              · Having fair, impartial, and trained judges and officials.
              · Cooperating with the engine manufactures to meet our mutual goals and needs.
              · Effecting a competent inspection procedure to avoid any unfair advantages.
              · Promoting the sport to encourage new competitors to join.
              · Promoting responsibility and participation of all members.

This mission statement was created in 1988 for the then VP Racer Allen at the Seattle meeting and has been in the stock rule book up until 2003 where the rules where combined for SO/MO/Pro/J and was deleted.

As a VP shortly after this was generated, this was the guideline that was used to attempt/template to legislate the SO Category for the 4 year as its leader/facilitator.

I personally think this still applies today.

This is the total package!
              If we lose at any one of these goals or objectives, then we stand to lose members whether they are new members vs. lifers or young vs. old.
              To gain and retain members we have to complete this package annually to sustain growth.

If the SORC were to use these G&O’s as guidelines for committee structure and legislative influence we might be able to promote/market better. The one thing we are lacking is the basic promotional hand out in case there is a hot lead at a race/show/wherever. The last promo brochures were done by the Bowman administration and they are gone. We at BSOA are still using what is left of the brochures that were created during my chairmanship back in the early 90’s. Fortunately the classes still apply except for the J classes. Now we have a new racer, which has developed a brochure for us to use in Region 7. Personally this should be done at a national level by the SORC.

I here what Steve of the Nort, Racer X, and others are saying. There have been couple of attempts to hire APBA marketing types and they have failed which caused great financial losses for APBA, thus “Once bitten twice shy”. The primary reason for failure is that each category (back then) already had their own inroads to sponsors and any attempts to simplify/standardize sponsorships among the categories and improve sponsor-buying power were met with resistance by the categories. Now you must understand this was in the days when Unlimited and Offshore were under the APBA banner (not LLC’s ) and that’s where the bang for the buck sponsor buying power was.

Now if the SO/MO/PRO/J teams were to join promotional forces with a plan to promote ALL, I think we have a chance at real sustained growth for membership and marketing. But keep in mind, you might find people to be interested in racing, but you have to have the equipment available for them to participate.

Also, as Steve of the Nort did not specifically say in his message, “Quality of services rendered also sells by word of mouth”.

Again, back to the mission statement and the total package.

There is no quick fix.

If any one wants to know what the APBA 2006 budget is, call HQ.
              Or PM me with a fax number.

Warbs
              64*W

Comment

I had mentioned a way to save 2 plus hours from our day by simply hiring our race coarse officials. We have so many qualified non racers that I know would be more than willing to become race coarse officials. Now we can keep the show running with out all the turn boat changes. These race coarse officials would be paid to do the job. I don't know what a fair price would be to do this but lets say 600 ( thats 6 people earning 100 bucs each a day to man the turns and a couple pick up boats). At most races that means we ask racers to throw in 5 bucs each and its a done deal. Or we use some of the sponcer money to offset this cost. Now we have some more time to do awards and put on a show. If we needed a quick helper at the race its no big deal. Most other racing venues don't rely on the racers to officiate. This would be a good step to increase time and have a more profesional perception on how we run the SO catagory. This is a small step but in the right direction. Mike
                mike ross

Comment

The points made have all been very good in my opinion. I still feel that the way to get growth is to get races in areas that DO NOT HAVE RACING NOW.
                  second EXPOSURE. we went to rock falls last year, The local power sports dealer(dirt bikes, four wheelers,PWC's) didnt even know there was a race that weekend in their own town! to me that says it all

Comment

Well, It Is A Start

SCSC, Southern California Speedboat Club, with Ross Wallach running the show for the last four or five years, may be the "MODEL" of the way BOAT RACING WILL GO...

1. He has always paid his officials
                    2. He usually doesn't schedule a class unless they promise to be at the race.
                    3. He has gotten most classes to race "Series" type races, with like a HIGH POINT (Series Points) for each year. "Series" type is run two ten lap qualifiers on Saturday and winner take all 20/25 lap main on Sunday. 45's run a 35-37 second lap, so, if we have any spectators they aren't bored out of their minds...(He's averaged 15 boats per race).
                    4. With help, he's established Nostalgia Racing...This event took me about two years to understand, but it is really bracket racing in a circle, using a GPS..Mostly OLDER GENTLEMEN having fun and who don't mind the $250 entry fee per weekend.
                    5. Entry fee are close to $250

I attended the Winter Nationals in Louisiana, with 27 classes, and not knowing really anyone but Gary Lewis, and a few others, I don't plan to ever go back, unless they run 45SS, then, my son would be racing and it would be fun..

The only exciting races are the ones your family or your kid races....If a club got sponsor money, the money should go to promoting the race and paying officials, buying bouys, and a PA SYSTEM..we are all hobbyists...racing for nice trophies, like the Winter Nationals had is what HOBBY RACING is about.

My suggestions:

1. Raise Entry fees
                    2. Increase number of laps (You could call it a Marathon, if you want to combine classes and run more than 12 boats...) Also, you get more laps for your money, don't need six boats. Too many people want Nation$als Points, rather than LOCAL POINTS....Support your area's racing. For four or five years in a row, SCSC has had an August race. No kneeldowners have gone, as they got EAST to the Nationals...10,000 paying spectators never see any GRASS ROOTS RACING?????? At the same time Cracker Box, GN Stock, Pro Comp...Nostalgia have doubled in size?????? An 45 has there 15, plus a new one or two each year...
                    3. Pay Officials, more than $100 a day, more like $300 FOR THE WEEKEND PLUS HOTEL ROOM....OTHERWISE, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR...
                    4. expect TO SPEND MONEY. IF YOU WERE A HUNTER, NO GUN COMPANY WOULD SPONSOR YOU. YOU'D SPEND MORE THAN YOU SPEND NOW.

SCSC, had more than 90 entries at their first race, only about 15 were kneeldown...The second race had more, and they only had 6 kneeldowners.

SCSC has Long Beach, San Diego, and Bakerfield left this year...Plus Thanksgiving at Parker...Not many club put on this many QUALITY races per year...

ADD: Alll Yamato Classes in hydro and runabouts should be combined...period.
                    Runabouts should be DROPPED or a SIDE RULE shuld be added and a fin should be required on th bottom...

LAST ADD: Kneelers are at a time of critical mass....Region 12 has three or four active drivers...Tammy Dawe, Roger Hewson, Jeff Connant....

I suggest a 65 MPH OUTBOARD NOSTALGIA CLASS...Run a any outboard under 14 foot...with GPS...Helps to bring out old racers and new races who would not need expensive motor and props.

I just got off th phone with a man from Phoenix...He says his kid looks at kneelers as "What are those things dad??" Why don't we have a class that at least looks like 2005???
                    Last edited by Ron Hill; 05-12-2006, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Perhaps some folks should look to what is working in boat racing today.

Title Series - Few classes, very marketable.

NBRA - Few clases, similar to Title Series, primarily Mod, but every stock engine has a place in a class. Very Marketable. Proof is in Centralia IL race last year with the sponsors, spectators, and prize money. Alan did a great job setting this up.

So why get all worked up and try to change the world when all you have to do is look around and see what is working, and maybe adapt it to work for you ?

Personally speaking, the two above organizations are the future of kneel down/laydown Outboards. They do it right, and they stick to the plan laid out before them. They don't budge very easily on the plan. Maybe some of you guys should look into their business plans and do some research to find out why it is working so well.
                      Dave Mason
                      Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Ron makes some good points but....

I agree with Ron Hill about officials, but look at what you are REALLY saying here Ron. It's very sad to see the state of kneeldown racing in SoCal as it not only affects the few diehards who are left but also the whole sport as well. But not everyone wants to race a tunnel boat. I don't. APBA needs more drivers in ALL categories so promote 45 and Fat C as much as you can, just don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Bill III
                        Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

Now if the SO/MO/PRO/J teams were to join promotional forces with a plan to promote ALL, I think we have a chance at real sustained growth for membership and marketing. But keep in mind, you might find people to be interested in racing, but you have to have the equipment available for them to participate.

Steve,

I think that is a great idea and someone should make that happen! There is no doubt that, that would be a great way to do it as a group. I guess we are back to the HOW question. Maybe the next step Steve would be to organize a group of leaders from each category to discuss a plan and a budget. A think tank of sorts. Great idea though! We need to stick together for sure!

With all the people that have fallen off the racing circuit you would think with a little leg work we could find some rigs for new drivers at a fair price?

Mike Barrett

Comment

Originally posted by Dave M
                            Perhaps some folks should look to what is working in boat racing today.

Title Series - Few classes, very marketable.

NBRA - Few clases, similar to Title Series, primarily Mod, but every stock engine has a place in a class. Very Marketable. Proof is in Centralia IL race last year with the sponsors, spectators, and prize money. Alan did a great job setting this up.

So why get all worked up and try to change the world when all you have to do is look around and see what is working, and maybe adapt it to work for you ?

Personally speaking, the two above organizations are the future of kneel down/laydown Outboards. They do it right, and they stick to the plan laid out before them. They don't budge very easily on the plan. Maybe some of you guys should look into their business plans and do some research to find out why it is working so well.
                            How can you say that this is what is working? Look at the numbers. They aren't there. When you do somthing like the Title Series, you are promoting National racing every weekend. That means its only worth racing if you can make all the big national races. The need to travel so much makes a lot of potential racers lose interest. Dean showed statistics at the national meeting, the number of racers in SO goes up and down almost identically with the number of races. This means the way to get more racers is to put on more races. Building local racing is the way to save this sport. Look what the Merc Challenge did to the 25 class. In the late 70's 25 was one of the biggest classes in SO. But when the 25xs came out, along with the Merc Challenge, a lot of local racers quit racing because they wouldn't/couldn't do the traveling every weekend to compete. Then that just left us mostly with the die hards like Dewald, Austin, Allen etc. Series racing is dangerous for the growth of this sport because it makes travel a necessity. Between time off of work, and gas, traveling is probably the single most expensive part of a race weekend. If we can put on races in the same venue 3-4 times a year or more, I would almost guarantee you will start seeing new racers coming out of the woodwork. Guys that may only race times a year to start out with. We aren't going to get new racers who go to 10-15 races a year like a lot of us do. Not until they race for a few years and start getting really into it. They have to be able to race somewhat frequently without having to travel all over the country.
                            Ryan Runne
                            9-H
                            Wacusee Speedboats
                            ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

exactly

Originally posted by ryan_4z
                              How can you say that this is what is working? Look at the numbers. They aren't there. When you do somthing like the Title Series, you are promoting National racing every weekend. That means its only worth racing if you can make all the big national races. The need to travel so much makes a lot of potential racers lose interest. Dean showed statistics at the national meeting, the number of racers in SO goes up and down almost identically with the number of races. This means the way to get more racers is to put on more races. Building local racing is the way to save this sport. Look what the Merc Challenge did to the 25 class. In the late 70's 25 was one of the biggest classes in SO. But when the 25xs came out, along with the Merc Challenge, a lot of local racers quit racing because they wouldn't/couldn't do the traveling every weekend to compete. Then that just left us mostly with the die hards like Dewald, Austin, Allen etc. Series racing is dangerous for the growth of this sport because it makes travel a necessity. Between time off of work, and gas, traveling is probably the single most expensive part of a race weekend. If we can put on races in the same venue 3-4 times a year or more, I would almost guarantee you will start seeing new racers coming out of the woodwork. Guys that may only race times a year to start out with. We aren't going to get new racers who go to 10-15 races a year like a lot of us do. Not until they race for a few years and start getting really into it. They have to be able to race somewhat frequently without having to travel all over the country.
                              A strong local schedule is the ONLY way the sport will grow, regardless of the other issues.

Bill III
                              Support your local club and local races.

Bill Pavlick

I'm just glad I'm not Michael Mackey - BPIII

Comment

Working...
                              X