history of stock outboard racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• history of stock outboard racing

hey i am doing my shool report on the history of stock outboard racing .i need info from the start of it and how it became and how it changed over the years
    like different boats different motors and other stuff like different classes and stuff

thanks
    john wlodarski the third
    24-J

P.S. any pictures from the race or anyting about it
    Johnny Wlodarski III
    24J

Ah the memories....

Hey John,

I did a report on the history of Stock Outboard Racind when I was in school also. Get a copy of Speed and Spray, I pretty much copied it word for word out of their. Although I warn you I think I only got a C+ on it. As a matter of fact I used Stock Outboard Racing as the basis for a marketing project in college and only got a C- on that one.

Oh well, C's get degrees.....

Go Hurons, or Eagles or whatever Eastern is now....... is the Nickle ope on Sunday? You bet it is......

Comment

Advocating Plagiarism! Shame...

Johnny,
      Dean's advice that Speed and Spray is a great starting point is right on target. Just don't lift it word for word; any teacher worth their salt knows your writing style by now and will will pick up on the fact that you didn't write the paper. You don't want to end up with a C like Dean. A CSH maybe, but not a C...

also Check out this site....

http://boatsport.org/
      Read some of the magazines from the '50s on this site, i'm sure you will recognize some of the names.

http://boatsport.org/newfeatures.html
      This has an Outboard racing yearbook from the mid '50s for APBA and NOA racing on it.

Make sure you get the info for the Citations for your bibliography. Have fun!

Dean,
      just pulling your chain a bit on the Plagiarism... BTW an EMU is a flightless bird.

Comment

a good book to get is called the history of outboard racing it covers from the very beginning of it all and covers from stock to tunnel and mod i think
        MJR Composites racing...cleveland division

Comment

I used Speed and Spray as my only source for a racing paper during high school. I got an A only because my teacher had no clue what the hell boat racing was anyway, so she wouldn't have know if I was telling the truth or not. I'm sure that book has been plagiarized a time or two by racers all around the country. I did attribute my facts to the book so I couldn't be taken to court for taking credit.

Comment

Start of Boat Racing

John,

There is a book called "A Century of Outboard Racing" by Kevin Desmond and is available today. This book is quite detailed as to the origin of detachable outboard motors and outboard racing.

Within the books do***ents the first powerboat race occurred in 1911 conducted by the Pewaukee Yacht Club on Lake Pewaukee, WI by the Evinrude family.

The Yacht club still exist today and I drive by the site almost daily as I am a resisdent of Pewaukee WI. Graig Bowman used this information when he was SOVP for the 50th annaversry of Stock Outboard at the 1998 Wakefield Nationals.
            And, NO I was not there when it happened. But it is pretty neat to live by a place where racing history began.

I hope some of this information can help you. It is a real great sport as my daughter has done several papers during her school experience with better results than CSH12M do***ented. Sorry Dean! Must have been the presentation at the time!!!!

Good Luck!

Steve
            Alias: Warby
            64*W

Comment

Outdoors with the outboards!

Steve , she must have read some of the old arcticles by Blake Gilpin, in one of those old mags, good read in the old days .
              When a Man would still work and a gal would still cook, before microwaves , i think.
              Richard
              RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

Working...
              X