First time out in a hydro!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turning it wrong ???

Yo, crank wheel to port, go port. Port would be left for landlubbers. Hydro race, go fast turn left (port). Wrong?

Had a couple boats that were hard on fins. Both had longer afterplanes - distance from back of sponson to transom - than the speed required. Upside, you could slam that bugger in a turn WFO. Downside, needed a tough fin and bolts to hold the bracket on.
    carpetbagger

Comment

Turning

Bill I was told that Dawes don't turn like most hydro's and to turn it on the outside (starboard) chine. If this is true. I hope this thing likes to turn like this in rough water and does not put me on my head.
      Last edited by Lights; 04-28-2006, 08:00 PM.
      Mark
      G-11
      125H
      When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
      Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

Comment

Ah, a chine turner . . .

well, okay. Reckon they do things different in California. I prefer a boat that goes where you point it.
        carpetbagger

Comment

It Won't!!!

Originally posted by Lights
          Bill I was told that Dawes don't turn like most hydro's and to turn it on the outside (starboard) chine. If this is true. I hope this thing likes to turn like this in rough water and does not put me on my head.
          it turns just as good, if not better than most boats out there............rough water or not! The fin is sort of a pivot point...........the right side chine provides alot of its turning ability, thus making the boat VERY EASY to drive! It will hold the turn as hard as you put it there, but like any boat, overturning it will spin you out! A 1/4" aluminum fin works just fine.............experiment with the angle of which hangs back though some, as I have been working on some different angles/shapes and materials (carbon fiber now) and having good success (I think!). Well, this will be my last post here for awhile (hittin' the road to Washington in a few days)........
          Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the help Daren. I thought it turned great. But what do I know? It was my first time ever driving one. I was trying to see how hard I could turn it. I have made some new fins (thicker) to try.
            Mark
            G-11
            125H

[

Comment

Originally posted by Lights
              Thanks for the help Daren. I thought it turned great. But what do I know? It was my first time ever driving one. I was trying to see how hard I could turn it. I have made some new fins (thicker) to try.
              Mark, you will get it figured out real soon. You will be just fine. It took me about 6 full races before I could turn (and drive) the old B&H (the one I get from Dean) correctly. That **** boat gave your forearm a work out, since it had a narrow cockpit and small steering wheel. But, I did get it figured out. You will too! I can't wait to see a Dawe kicking some butt on the East Coast!!! Let me know if I can help you any more..............I can't wait to get my new Dawe CSH out on the race course in a few weeks (missed the one this weekend)...........might even get to run my 02 Darneille CMH (Merc powered!) soon too!
              Attached Files
              Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Them are some sharp looking rides Daren.
                Mark
                G-11
                125H

[

Comment

I hate hydros... but mostly I hate runabouts that turn like hydros.

On a less related note, aluminum sucks. I like the Fred H. approach. Scare 'em with ugly, rusty steel. Work good, last long time!

Comment

Mark, it will, take several races before you're comfortable with the boat... testing is testing...and no matter what you do testing... you won't push as hard there as you will when you're trying to beat someone to a buoy or catch someone who's already there... you'll be amazed at how much harder you will and can drive when the adrenalin is pumping.

Spend as much time as you can in the boat and work out a routine for setting up, starting and milling...

Welcome to the sport.

Dan
                    O-49

Comment

Re: Ice

We get some ice... it just doesn't stay from November to April like it does in Minnesota. I remember walking out to the car one night and just as I reached for the car door...something hit me in the back of the head... it was the driveway! (And I was stone cold sober!!!)

Danl
                      O-49

Comment

Originally posted by dcrummett
                        We get some ice... it just doesn't stay from November to April like it does in Minnesota. I remember walking out to the car one night and just as I reached for the car door...something hit me in the back of the head... it was the driveway! (And I was stone cold sober!!!)

Danl
                        O-49
                        Thanks for the laugh. Us Northerners learn to walk on ice at an early age.

Take care buddy
                        Mark
                        Mark
                        G-11
                        125H

[

Comment

Working...
                        X