Plight of the Bumbled D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plight of the Bumbled D

To clear-up some of the misconceptions concerning the controversy in Alexandria I am providing some important facts in addition to the perspectives of some 44XS owners.

Despite what many think, no one was left on the beach in Alex; everyone raced. The APBA DSH class (Merc 44XS / Tohatsu MD50) was combined with the NBRA DH special event class (Merc 44XS / Tohatsu MD50 / Merc 40 c.i. mod). This put more drivers on the water at the same time.

It is surprising to see so many people suddenly concerned about DSH. Last November, the only people concerned seemed to be those who owned 44XS equipment when the SORC allowed the considerably more powerful Tohatsu MD50 in the D class.

Who is so full of themselves that they need two posts on Hydroracer to convey their message? Someone very concerned about losing the D stock classes. I’m sure other 44XS owners will point out arguments I’ve missed. From comments on Hydroracer, it is obvious that virtually none of you have any investment in this class. Many posts incorrectly mention how it’s unsportsman-like not to race, leaving people on the beach, who have traveled so far. Everyone traveled far and no one was left on the beach.

Let’s talk investment. I’ve only raced and supported DSH for 10 years. Mark Wheeler, Tom Smith, Steve Johnson, Brent Walburn and Dan Hauenstein have raced for more than 10 years. Fred Hauenstein, Jim Sweeney, Larry Gottschalk, Mike Franck have raced DSH for more than 20 years. Dennis Shaw, Pete Nydahl, Larry Terzinski, Shawn O’Leary, Ken Wojtalik, Kip Trump are relatively new to DSH, but all own equipment.

Want to know what these drivers have in common, other than their 44XS’s? None of them asked for a new engine in their class; an engine that does not use the same props and should be on a different boat. None of these drivers plan to buy a Tohatsu. None of these drivers have a parts availability issue with their Mercury. The problem they do face is, if one qualified driver dials in a Tohatsu rig, the Mercurys will be obsolete.

A minimum of 5K, closer to 10K invested/sunk, only good for photos and memories. More importantly, the D class may vanish as well. Investment? How about the thousands Dave Scott has invested in his Like-New 44XS Project? How about the APBA approved, $22,000.00 the 2003 SORC spent on Mercury XS tower housings, for the successful support of the D and 25 classes?

Like the pro D class (700ccH), attempting to shift from laydown hydros to capsule hydos, all of the existing boats were obsolete and the class disappeared. The big difference between D pro and D stock is, in pro, the switch was a safety precaution and in stock there is not any reasonable rational why the Mercurys are being force to the wayside.

The easy answer is… We have a parity committee. That’s another thing the 44XS guys have in common. We are scared of the parity committee. If there is one thing the SORC is good at, is NOT finding parity between different, or even similar, engines. Parity is a monumental and almost impossible task. The SORC has never accomplished this effectively, not even with the Yamato 102 and 302, two very similar engines. In this case, with a 4-cylinder, 1960’s deflector versus a 3-cylinder, 1990 technology, loop scavenged, removable-head engine, the task is formidable.

The SORC has ignored the Merc Tech committee’s recommendations, why would they listen to the parity committee.

It has been mentioned that, following the performance of the Tohatsu in Alex, some of the “handicaps” implemented on the “as advertised,” more powerful Tohatsu should be lifted. It is this nonscientific approach that has 44XS owners scared. Just because the Tohatsu boat didn’t win, isn’t it very short sighted to say that it was the restrictions that hampered its performance? Perhaps it was because there were well dialed-in
    44XS/40 c.i. mod competition on the course. Or maybe the Tohatsu was on a laydown hydro and a laydown has never made it into the top three at the nationals in a stock class. Or maybe it was because the Tohatsu team was having technical difficulties and they were feverishly trying to solve them. Parity cannot be measured unless and until a properly rigged, tested and driven Tohatsu outfit is provided for comparison. As it should have been years ago.

I think it was great that they were passing the rig around for people try. This is the first time the engine has been raced anywhere near the east side of the Mississippi, where the majority of the 44XS owners live. Perhaps if this was promoted, showcased and demonstrated earlier and the SORC made the Tohatsu project more accountable, there would be less anxiety among the 44XS owners. This would not have been the first time most drivers had seen or heard this newly approved engine.

Many, who don’t drive D, feel, “We have to do something to get this class going.” The truth is there aren’t that many existing racer candidates for the D class. Think about all of your friends who race and name the ones that could be racing D that aren’t. Probably not many. Usually the two restrictions are the higher price tag of 5 to 8 thousand dollars for a rig, the low cost of Yamato’s and most drivers don’t want to go over 80 mph in a stock class. D has never been a huge class and the participation has declined proportionately to the rest of the stock outboard classes.

Adding the Tohatsu into the D stock class, doesn’t help either of these characteristics/hurdles. Adding the, dyno proven, more powerful Tohatsu into the class adds much concern and doubt to the existing drivers and confuses and misleads new drivers. Some will not buy D equipment because of the class’s now uncertain future. The Tohatsu engine has been displayed in competition as a dog. Why would a new Tohatsu owner stick around if it is impossible to ever get out of last place? They could buy a newly refurbished 44 for a similar price. At the same time the dyno compares the 44 and the Tohatsu more like an OMC A and the Hot Rod 15. “Five or six boat lengths out of the corner.” No comparison.

Not common knowledge and additionally tilting the playing field for Tohatsu; the Bass group did not supply small enough jets to optimize the engine on the dyno. Meaning, if properly carbureted, the Tohatsu is even more of a Formula E engine than suggested.

This has never been a personal struggle for anyone. Most everything has been cordial with the Tohatsu group and with the Bass brothers, Sid and Neil. We strongly disagree when it comes to our separate visions of the D classes. Despite our opposing opinions, I think most everyone has been friendly and objective. It seems the Tohatsu group would like to increase sales with their center section and good lower units, by providing the Tohatsu engine for the D class.
    CONTINUED,
    Bumbled D II

Bumbled D II, continued

CONTINUED,
    Bumbled D II

Most D drivers, Tohatsu’s main audience, feel like we were never asked. Once asked, no one is supportive of the new, threatening engine. Now we are told to accept the more powerful engine in our class, even though we have a better parts availability than the newly introduced engine. With the Tohatsu’s having very wide tolerances, the 44XS drivers cannot see a single advantage with the introduction of the Tohatsu into the D class. It’s not like there is huge factory support, with either sales or service. There are just a few loose power heads mated with existing towers and lowers. I’ve put together more D and D mod engines in the past five years and I don’t consider myself an engine builder, much less a manufacturer.

Perhaps if the SORC made the Tohatsu group more accountable for supplying more information, informing the racing members more about their product, there would be fewer questions. Perhaps if the SORC LISTENED to the Merc Tech committee and the dyno test they requested and ignored. Perhaps if the Tohatsu group took promoting their engine seriously and had tried to educate their target audience better and displayed a running engine. We should not be seeing it for the first time and dealing with it at the winter nationals as a full blown D engine. Even so, I don’t think all this would have mattered much. If you ask the D drivers if a new engine is needed, most will say no. If you ask most potential D drivers if the Tohatsu option eases their decision, most will say no. But that won’t matter if there aren’t any D drivers left to race against.

The SORC made their decision last November and over 30, 44XS drivers, added their names to a petition to start a new modified class called Formula D. Accepted almost unanimously by the mod commission, the class did not meet the criteria of the few voting members of the new class committee. I’m sure a lot of people came to various conclusions as to why this class was formed. What should be concluded is that the vast majority of 44XS drivers are unhappy with the SORC’s reckless decision. The attempt to form Formula D should have been a good indication that we are running out of options and need to act before we lose our D class completely.

So why is anyone surprised some people ran the MBRA 40/44xs class in Alex? No one seemed to care about our data, our pleas, our amendments and our new class suggestions. Why does anyone care whether we race our rigs or not? Better yet, how have you even earned an opinion? You aren’t part of the problem or a solution.

Rude things were mentioned and I’m sure there’s more to come. I find it hard to believe folks can take themselves seriously as they say I am a poor competitor and bad sport. I run toward competition, not away from it. This Tohatsu situation was not asked for by the D drivers. Only the SORC, 88% non-D drivers, got to vote on the destiny of the D class. Some D drivers are doing anything to change this miserably wrong decision. Including not racing our favorite classes.

I love D Hydro. It’s difficult for me to watch J. Michael go out in my old boat and break my record. Why is this difficult? Because I love competition and I love D Hydro. But as long as the SORC is adding unfair advantages against me and my competitors; I can’t take it lying down or be a part of it. Congratulations to J. Michael on a strong record!

There would have been more D entries in Alex had the SORC not felt the nagging pressure from the Tohatsu lobby and hastily passed the Tohatsu as a racing engine for 2006. Three or four D’s at the winter nationals, isn’t very impressive, when there would have be more with the absence of Tohatsu. Particularly when eight is a much more common number of D’s at local races, without Tohatsu’s.

Difficult to do, but try to put yourself in a competitive D driver’s shoes. If you still think this Tohatsu situation is fair and a good idea, I question your motives, your competitiveness, and your ability to understand the dilemma. The parity committee doesn’t give reassurance to the existing drivers.

To complain without a solution is just a lot of whining.

The Tohatsu’s torque curve spells that it is not a D engine; in fact it is more powerful than an OMC 45ss engine. So… Don’t try to make them the same! Doesn’t anyone else see the parallels between the Tohatsu and the two, high powered, stock class failures:
    45SSH 1987 and Super C Hydro (Crescent) 1977. In 2007 history threepeats itself?

I know Stock Outboard doesn’t need any more classes, however we are in a predicament and we don’t want to hurt any feelings. I ask that we revert to the first motion made in the SORC meeting that the Tohatsu be in the ESH and ESR class, to be run with, but scored separately from, 44XS D engines. Everyone gets to race and no one is feeling disadvantaged. We will not be adding any heats to the schedule.

Make it easy on ourselves. Don’t assume that we will ever get parity.

That, or… Revert to the 3rd motion, get rid of this engine in stock outboard all together. There isn’t a need in the D class and it doesn’t fit anywhere else. Those who bought Tohatsu’s, purchased their engines prior to the SORC’s approval, assuming this risk. The Tohatsu is a legal Formula E engine and according to the dyno report, that’s where it belongs.

In you want to talk to me about D, give me a call.

Comment

Well said

Well said, you either left everyone speachless,
      or they are forming up a wolfpack.
      I duly endorse the above message. Lets fix this mess.
      STEVE JOHNSON DSH 77G

Comment

OK....I'll play

Brian / all,

This is a subject that I’ve expressed a few opinions on before and don’t feel like I can hold back on this one either. I can even agree with much of what you said but there some points that I think were missed. First off, let me say that I too love watching DSH run at our Region 6/7 races and have seen some great racing over the last 10 or so years. Many of these drivers are considered close friends. I’ve also watched this class (like my beloved BSH) go from let’s say 7-10 entries pretty regularly to about 4-6 on average. With that something needed or needs to be done.

I’m not saying that the path SORC went down is the best or correct one and I’m not knocking the decision they made, however I feel they tried to improve the numbers by adding another player. Before I go on let me state that I’ve never met Mr(s) Bass and have only said a brief “hello” to Mr. Scott at Pineville this March, so I have no ties or vested interest to either of them and feel the work they are doing is great and needed to keep Stock and Mod Outboard alive and well.

What bothers me is that I sat in Milwaukee (2003 National Mtg.) as only a member of the audience and listened to some of the debate and discussion that started the introduction of the Tohatsu. What really surprised me was that none of the “D” drivers really supported the efforts of Mr. Scott at that time and there were quite a few in attendance. Basically, I’m saying that no one in that meeting stood up and said “hey wait a minute, there’s this guy in Canada starting to manufacture the 44XS, let’s give him an opportunity to come through….” In fact I heard hardly anyone even talk about Mr. Scott and his efforts and it wasn’t like they were unknown as he had been posting and even had a website to update racers on his progress. Was his progress slower than originally discussed? Maybe, but who hasn’t been when taking on a huge “re-man” project like this virtually alone. My point is that if the current D Stock drivers had supported the Scott effort 3-4 years ago we may not be at the point of “scratches, DXSH and the other issues at hand”. There has been very little support of Mr. Scott and his efforts from any of the “D” drivers on this website and there has been PLENTY of opportunities. Now everyone (44xs Merc drivers) is behind him 100%. Bet Dave wishes he had your support 4 years ago.

Mark

Comment

Brian,

That was right on the money, a very well composed posting. All I can say is "Ditto." How anybody can argue against the points you made is beyond me. Also, kudos for using the words "plight" and "bumbled", excellent termage.

Mark,

I was not present at that meeting, so I will take you word that the "D" drivers may not have been as vocally supportive of Dave's undertaking as they could have been. But, the SORC was. It was not a 3-4 year period that was waited before the uneducated approval of the Tohatsu motor. It was approved the following year. Well before Mr. Scott's project had time to take off. The decision was made hastily, with no evidence or information to back it up.
          Ryan Runne
          9-H
          Wacusee Speedboats
          ryan.runne.4@gmail.com

"Imagination is more important than knowledge"--Albert Einstein

These days, I find it easier to look up to my youngers than my elders.

Comment

Bumbled, you can be my wingman anytime.

I agree with the dyno data and say let them race, let the parity com. do there job. When you need to make a new class for the faster Tohatsu, I suggest you call it the "SUDS" (Super Underestimated the Dyno Stats) class.

Comment

Brian 13-V--great posting. Unfortunately, it is too easy to just let things remain a mess. Very discouraging!

Comment

Fyi

I can't add any other objective points to BP's Post. However I would like to respond to those that Denounced our actions as cowardly , chicken**** ect.
                The west coast group that was directly effected was pitted right next to ME. I consider All those guys freinds. I acted upon my convictions knowing full well that I would have nowhere to hide all week. Both Brian and I stood tall. And guess what, we all got along. I can say we helped each other , no fights, no name calling. Having to explain to Russ that this was not a personal issue with him was not an easy thing to have to do. I think he understands. ( all this after my canopy wrecked his trailer) I think he is a great guy and his wife as well. BTW we did get that mess squared away. Cindy is a good Ins Agent.
                I was raised to act Honestly. I also have always acted to my sense of "doing right". I belive my stance on this issue has been forthright from the start. If you do not agree with MY actions Fine. but to call Me a coward, well ,you don't know me very well.
                I do hope that the sorc can revisit this issue. we have an oppertunity to turn this into a win / win.

Steve Johnson

Comment

Well said Brian. See ya at the races!

Comment

This is the first post on this subject that really explains what is going on. It is not often that I respond to a post although I read HydroRacer every day. I am glad to see you stand up for what you think is best for your class. You have taken some pretty hard hits for defending what is special to all of us. The D class is the most exciting stock class to watch and most of the drivers are in it for the long haul. You have my support on this subject and I will offer my help in any way possible.

Comment

It looks to me like the number of new Tahatsu motors that have been sold. They probably won't be the dominate motor this year. The big thing is when we have people like Dave Scott and the Bass Brothers developing new motors we have to support these guys if we want boat racing to continue. I understand were Brian is coming from. But the deal is the D class has seen there numbers decrease to a point were we can't get a full field at any race including the bigger ones like the nationals. Several years ago when this happened we used to just eliminate the class. The SORC is trying to not do this and this is a option so we don't just lose this class all together. Maybe its all wrong and maybe something good will come from it. Time will tell. In the mean time we have what was approved. It just like all the fuss over the height restrictions. You get your rule book and you go out with what you have and compete. Boycotting doesn't help anyone. Getting with your commisioner and being active as to what your thoughts are important. I went back and looked at the last few meetings and we had as many as 7 absent commisioners. When it comes to voting on items i wonder what the outcome would have been on some of these issues if we had everyone vote. This years national meeting had every commisioner present. This shows this new group elected to the SORC is committed to get the job done. Keep on track and let the SORC see if they can make headway. If after this year it isn't working you can revisit it at next years national meeting. This is my opionion. Mike
                      mike ross

Comment

Brian mentioned the two Stock classes based on faster motors that failed. I'd like to give some added insight to them which may be helpful.

The OMC 45 motor was introduced along with the OMC A motor. OMC wanted to build the A motor and it was a superb replacement for the Merc KG-4/MK-15. However, OMC wanted a presence in a larger class so from an advertising point they would be dominant in the largest class, A, and the fastest, 45SS. They had both the A and 45 motors in their regular motor catalog handed out at dealers and boat shows coast to coast. They were made aware of the feelings of the SORC that they didn't think the 45SS hydro was a great idea but OMC insisted and made it clear that we could have the A motor and the 45SS motor but we couldn't have just the A motor. However, unlike the Bass project, OMC did numerous things to showcase and promote the 45. The initial testing was done on a Ron Anderson boat and then when a finalized version of the motor was done, they ordered a contemporary B&H boat and brought the rig to national races. It was available for test runs by any reasonably qualified driver and all they had to do was sign a release and go out for a couple laps. The rig would run about 86 mph as set up. I was surprised that more people didn't even take a run to experience it. I mean it was faster than most all the Stock guys ever went, it was in a big, safe (relatively) and fast rig for absolutely no cost. OMC had some incentives for the 45SS and when the motor didn't take off, they went and explored the tunnel boat realm and the 45SS class was altered and emerged as the 45SS/SST-45 twins which still exist in popular OPC form today. As an interesting aside, the OMC B&H hydro was sold to Jerry Wienandt and won numerous National Championships in FEH with his 650XS Mercury motor, cleaning up on the OMC three cylinder motors. But OMC promoted the motor. They brought it to races on a competitive, tested rig and let actual racers drive it and feel the power.

What did Bass do? They ran their motor almost secretly on the west coast on outdated or never-was type hulls. As I remember one report from them was that they were using a Ron Anderson hull with a 45SS prop. I mean the Anderson hydros were non-competitive back when OMC was developing the 45 and any 45 prop is way too big for a decent hydro. They wouldn't bring the rig to a National event to show it to the majority of D drivers, much less the general membership. They wouldn't make available a motor for any objective testing and viewing here in the east and midwest and they wouldn't make available a powerhead for any dyno testing. The dyno testing was finally done on a customer powerhead.

Ok, now to the Super C, an imported three-cylinder, loop scavenged motor that had no connection with any service motor sold in the US with no parts and distribution system other than the importer. It was originally a totally Swedish import but soon the importer began to cut corners and replace some of the more expensive magnesium parts and ignition systems with generic Mercury parts to make him more money. They were neat rigs that went about 90 and handled well with the relatively light motors. I enjoyed watching guys like Brad Snow, Bill Giles and Billy Simmons run them. (Maybe John Kavookjian?) Interesting fact here is that all these guys were east coastguys close to the importer. It became obvious that there wasn't any widespread acceptance of the motor and even less of the importer.

I don't like to think of the 45 SS as a failure, it was just in the wrong place. It has done extremely well as a motor in the SST-45 class. The market in Stock didn't want it and OMC adapted to their choice and proved their motor was viable. It remains popular even now, 20 years later, because there are plenty of service powerheads and parts available for the consumable needs. The Super C died quickly and quietly with few parts, no dealers and no interest.

I leave it to you to see which of these paths the Tohatsu project has been more closely paralleling.

Comment

Don’t you think the D class numbers have dropped really because of two reasons.

The majority of stockers don’t want to spend that kind of money on an engine.
                          Most importantly most don’t want to go 85 MPH in a hydro.

My personal feeling is the numbers did not drop because there is a lack of equipment. They dropped because there is a drop in the number of guys that want to race the class.
                          "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Don forgot the other reason...

The antique buyers grabbing the motors and storing them.
                            Youngest Member of the Flyer Raceboat Gang

Comment

Proposal to SORC

Below is a proposal submitted to the SORC this winter:

Pulled off the APBA website under SORC minutes:

7. Other Technical/Class Rule Changes.
                              • Mandate that any new engine/powerhead must participate on probation in at least four of five races comprised of all Divisional Championships. And must be on display at the Winter & Summer Nationals. With information sheets containing data specs, availability and pricing in order to be considered for an entry into an existing class the following year.
                              • Reason- Keep the membership informed and ensures an opportunity for the membership to see the new engine. And also review the specs and any data before being approved as a official motor for the class.

NO ACTION TAKEN
                              Brian 10s

Comment

Working...
                              X