Z craft finishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Z craft finishing

I have a new Z craft. Was wondering has anyone tryed to paint the lexan windsheild? What were the results? I did this long ago on a hydro I had once. worked well. but less area to flex. I would appreciate any Input. I've resigned myself to sanding off all the varnish and starting over in west system. Also should any small gaps /seams be filled prior to epoxy? wood filler? Sorry for the dumb ? but shannon has spoiled me and I haven't painted a new boat in 15 years
    Last question Primers/ Paint/clear coats. what is hot these days?
    Thanks
    Steve G

Painting of the windshield

Steve we painted the windshield on one of our z-craft runabouts. It turned allright. Not great but allright. I have finished two z-craft runabouts and they are alot of work. Just start sanding it will take a while.
    Keith Kampen

Comment

Steve ,
      Might want to give Carl Holt a call. He has much exsperience with Frank's rigs.

Will send his phone number.

19p
      100N STEVE FRENCH > Nobody can hang with my STUFF!! >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tna3B5zqHdk

SEEEEEE YAAAAAA!!............In my WAKE!! .............100N>>

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Johnson
        I have a new Z craft. Was wondering has anyone tryed to paint the lexan windsheild? What were the results? I did this long ago on a hydro I had once. worked well. but less area to flex. I would appreciate any Input. I've resigned myself to sanding off all the varnish and starting over in west system. Also should any small gaps /seams be filled prior to epoxy? wood filler? Sorry for the dumb ? but shannon has spoiled me and I haven't painted a new boat in 15 years
        Last question Primers/ Paint/clear coats. what is hot these days?
        Thanks
        Steve G
        Steve, if you want to paint the lexan, then make sure you paint just the backside, not the outside. Yes, I have finished a couple of Frank's boats, including my own........sand, fill, sand..............the Weldwood glue Frank uses, in my opinion..sucks!

it is gonna take alot of work and sanding to get one to look like Shannon's boats, but can be done....................if you email me, I can give you a run down how I did mine and a couple others (Lewis's ASH and Morris's CSR and DMR)....
        Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

Mercguy nailed it - paint the INSIDE

At least that's what the R/C car racing guys and gals did. If you have a multi-color scheme it takes a bit of thought to figure out what goes first seeing as how the paint scheme is reversed.

Sanding - get yourself a air powered 6" DA sander and a buncha stick-on disks. I have been known to start with 40 grit. Hokey Hydro factory motto - "Hammer to fit. File to shape. Paint to hide." I used 80 grit to knock the first coat of WEST down, then recoat, finer grits, 220 to prep for paint. Auto paint was my choice.
          carpetbagger

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Huson
            At least that's what the R/C car racing guys and gals did. If you have a multi-color scheme it takes a bit of thought to figure out what goes first seeing as how the paint scheme is reversed.

Sanding - get yourself a air powered 6" DA sander and a buncha stick-on disks. I have been known to start with 40 grit. Hokey Hydro factory motto - "Hammer to fit. File to shape. Paint to hide." I used 80 grit to knock the first coat of WEST down, then recoat, finer grits, 220 to prep for paint. Auto paint was my choice.
            You might want to "scuff up" the inside of the Lexan a bit with a fine Scotch-Brite pad so the paint will stick a little better ( like the R/C car guys do ). If it is going to flex a lot you might have a problem keeping the paint from popping and peeling off.............
            DickTyndall 74-E

Comment

Paint for lexan

Steve, You might try some of the new Krylon Fusion paint on the Lexan. It is formulated to bond with most plastics, no sanding or priming needed. It is available at most hardware stores for about $4 per spray can. They have a fair range of colors. I have used it on a few things and it seems work well. If I had a plexi wind screen I wanted to paint it is the first thing I would try. Good Luck.
              John Pifer

Comment

Thanks for the replies

Darren, when you get settled I'd love to talk to you regarding boat finishing. I've never delt with the type of glue Frank uses so I do have ? Is anyone with painted windsheilds able to post a pic or two? I'm tryin to get a visual on this. I think I will stick with my simple, blue, orange ,yellow,white fade job like my hydros.BTW frank called yesterday just to see if we missed the bad weather. Nice guy.
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                X