Chuck Peterson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuck Peterson

I am sorry the information that was given to me about Jerry Weinandt was incorrect. The person I actually need to talk to now is Chuck Peterson who was the previous owner of it. Jerry Weinandt was the person who helped bild the motor. Let me know if anyone can help me get a hold of, or has heard of Chuck Peterson.

Thanks

Schrammer

CPH or CPR?

Well, the first question is Chuck Peterson Hydro or Chuck Peterson Runabout?
    See, there was always this which Chuck Peterson are we talking about issue, thus the CPH and CPR designations... I think, if this was a 25SS and came from Cris Lake, you're looking for CPR, as he and Chris were buds. Chuck once had a 25SS and a runabout for it, but he's darned near as big as me so he raced a DSR at the very end of the Mk55 era. Then again, I started in BU. Go figure.

Yes, Mike's my younger brother... much younger.

Last I knew CPR was at 262-242-0783.

Hope this helps.

Jerry

Comment

Thanks

You are awesome! I called Chuck and he is going to get back to me. And by the way I was told by Chris that you helped build the motor with Chuck by your side a long time ago. True or false?

Thanks again buddy,

Schrammer

Comment

Possibly. First thing that goes is the memory. Second thing is, um, what's that second thing again? I worked on a few two cylinder motors, even as small as 60-J and 7.5J, some 25's, both SS and XS, and even a couple of 402X's (just to keep my disgust fresh), but mostly concentrated on Mercury 4 bangers. They're still my favorites.

Comment

Orange

And Mr. Jerry liked the color orange.......

Jerry, you have a lot of knowledge for the 44's, could you think of an economical way to quiet them down without sacrificing performance and without expansion chambers ? Maybe some silenciers like the Pro's use ? I would like to test locally and can't like we all used to do in the good old days. Still love the sounds a tuned 44 with megaphones, crisp, no burps.
          Dave Mason
          Just A Boat Racer

Comment

Quiet 44 Mods

I wish I knew... this has been an idea I've been thinking about for many years and I don't have a good answer, sad to say. One problem is the 44 is a 4 cyl., when the 'perfect' number of cylinders for pulse tuning is three. I'd say your best bet is to try to enlist some help from someone lots smarter than me...

If we had a design that worked competitively with megaphones, but was less noisy, the sport would be better for it. It wouldn't have to be as quiet as the 44XS Stock motor, just lots quieter than the megaphones we now have. And, some quieter exhaust systems, even enclosed within the tower housing, still have a crisp, racy sound to them.

Let's try to get some discussion going on this topic and see if we can't draw in some of the smart people for their contribution / input. At this point, all I can add is some ideas we know DON'T work...

Cheers.

Comment

why are 3 cyl. best for pulse tuning? ( i AM NOT doubting you just wondering)

Comment

My understanding is because of the rpm range we run in, and the speed sound waves travel, it just works out that way...

Someone smarter jump in here if I'm confused. Fred H?

Notice OPC 3 bangers are all pulse tuned with one pipe, and V-6's are split into two banks of 3 cylinders per pipe for exhaust tuning. The V-6's use a double pipe, sharing a common center wall, staggered in length to match the stagger of the cylinders in the block.

Comment

I agree Jerry

Jerry,

I believe Mod could race in much better locations and draw more money from being able to run closer to in town.

I tried to get some things started on this thread a year or so ago, and it led to nothing. Someone suggest Leblanco (sp) and I emailed him, but he was to busy with the OPC ride to design another "can" that worked. I believe he had the solution sort to speak on his mod engine.

My dad has thought a lot about it as well, and was going to try a couple things in the next couple years and test to see if they work.

Good to hear from you Jerry. Take care.
                  Dave Mason
                  Just A Boat Racer

Comment

3-Cylinder Pulse Tuning

"The ideal number of cylinders for pulse tuning is three." Why? The basic answer is that the time between the opening of a given cylinder's exhaust port and the closing of the previous cylinder's (in firing order) exhaust port gives the right amount of time for the high pressure pulse to arrive at the previous exhaust port to "plug" it in the same manner that an expansion chamber works. However, it works over an even broader RPM range than expansion chambers.

There are a lot of "fine points" to this basic description, but that's how it works. In a four cylinder there isn't time between an opening and a closing; and in a two cylinder, there is too much time. When you have too much time, you have to try to "store" the pulse by making it travel through a long, connecting pipe where it loses energy. So: "The ideal number of cylinders for pulse tuning is three."

I'm not claiming to be smarter than Jerry, he's got a lot more knowledge and experience. I have just worked with these systems for quite a few years.

Fred Hauenstein
                    Fred Hauenstein

Comment

Working...
                    X