Steering Cable ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering Cable ?'s

First let me say this is my first time rigging a hydro. Know I was looking for some colored steering cable today in the Mcmaster Carr catalog. I found vinyl and nylon coated cable. Which kind should I get or is better vinyl or nylon coating ? I was looking at the 7x19 SS for its flexibility and Stainless corrosion resistance, 1/8 core diameter that was coated to 3/16.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark
    G-11
    125H
    When the green flag drops, the bull**** stops!!!!!!!!!!!
    Keep'em Sunny Side Up Boy's!

[

you want 7x7 vinyl coated 1/8''
    Ab

Comment

Originally posted by abosnich
      you want 7x7 vinyl coated 1/8''

Why? Is it stronger, more flexible? need some facts. I read 7x19 is more flexible and stronger than 7x7. 7x7 is easier to get it can be found at any hardware store. I am more concerned about the coating.
      Mark
      G-11
      125H

[

Comment

7X7 is more flexible. You dont want the nylon coating.
        Ab

Comment

There is rigging rope which is unstretchable at any sailboat store. David Mason can tell you the type to buy. It is colored and it doesn't separate like the vinyl coated metal cable does. I have used it all last year and it works just fine and is legal in APBA. At least it passed inspection at the PRO Nationals last year.
          David Everhart S52
          David Everhart S52
          Avatar credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Kevlar rope works great

I cant remember the exact name of the rope but I purchased it on line frm
            West Marine and it came right to my home. I has less than 1% stretch,
            and you cannot hardly cut the stuff. I strongly recommend this stuff.
            I will look up its name and post it later.
            It is used primarily for the mainsheets on sailboats. Really strong rope!
            Dennis 21Z

Comment

Forgot to add this is for a CSH with indirect steering.
              Mark
              G-11
              125H

[

Comment

Easiest thing to do.............

Call, e-mail, or PM Tom Cronk and tell him you want to buy some steering cable.

OMC FE/SE powerhead parts for sale. Kurcz ported block, Mod 50 pistons and cylinder head, exhaust, etc.

Comment

MAtt Arlt installed that rigging rope on my CSH and the stuff is great. It was 6mm if I'm not mistaken and I love it. I also installed it on my sons boats as well. I have had it on for 2 seasons and it hasn't streched at all. It also passed inspection at the Stock Nats as well. A little more expesive than the cable but worth every penny to me.

Comment

Brown at bottom right of this page sells nice steering cable.
                    Earl 11 J........ Dangerous when Wet Runne Craft- Earl said, " Driving a Runne Craft is like Cheating". Dude, ........ Where's My Boat!

Comment

steering cable/rope

...west marine sells Spectra,I think.Any sail supply place will have some version of this space age stuff as well as supper strong pulleys which are small and light.We have used this material on the FEH rigs for several seasons.The neat thing about this instead of cable is that it goes thru pulleys and around steering hub much more smoothly ,is easier to handle and will allow you to adjust tension as accurately as you wish. Strength concerns are not an issue. I suppose if you caught your boat on fire,then you might be disadvantaged. Hunter Grimes

Comment

Thanks Hunter
                        Spectra is it and it is 6 mm that I'm using. Got it at West Marine store in Port Clinton, Ohio store on sale and it wasn't really that expensive. I love it. As to catching your boat on fire, it is a possiblity but if that happens hopefully you have allready bailed out and not worrying about stearing it just putting it out.
                        David Everhart S52 PS hope to race against you again sometime especially at Millville. What a course, long straights and big turns and not having to let off the ol go switch.
                        David Everhart S52
                        Avatar credit - F. Pierce Williams

Comment

Working...
                        X