What Happened to Racing in Quebec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Happened to Racing in Quebec

I have done a lot of reading about hydroplane racing history in the last two years (I may have a bit of an obsessive personality). I am also fortunate to be able to fluently read French as well as speak passable French. I have found lots of info of past races both inboard and outboard races in Quebec, but now other than a handful of inboard racers (can't blame them with the Valleyfield influence) but I can't find much going on today.

What happened to all the outboard racers in Quebec? What happened to their gear? What happened too the sites other than Valleyfield....?

My experience being on the fringe of the car, motorcycle, and snowmobile racing world is that the Quebecois are some of the most competitive people out there.
    I was able to track a fair amount of motors that went from here in Atlantic Canada down to New England where they continued to be used when racing stopped up here in the late 1980's.

Edited original post for clarity*

-there never was much stock racing in Quebec, all alky or PRO racing, expensive, and needing a big commitment to sustain. The remnants of stock racing , in Manitoba, Southern ON and along the seaway is what survived, and what we have now. There was a period in the '80s where there was no o/b racing in CAN, although OPC racing was big for a time .
    Brian Hendrick, #66 F
    "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

• bh/
      bh/ commented
      Editing a comment
      bill; what F motor did u run then ? a 6cyl, or 4cyl OMC, or ..?? -those $$C u took home may have been connected to the Molson family, famous for their recreational beverages. I know them well...

• Albert
      Albert commented
      Editing a comment
      Brian,
      Know the Molsens well or their beverages ?

• rumleyfips
      rumleyfips commented
      Editing a comment
      There were Quebec DSH's, 25SSH's and CSH's and BSR's running in Quebec, Ontario and New York in the 70's. Quite a few boats. I can't count them because I have a limited number of fingers and toes.

Doug Overbury was one, maybe you should ask him.

Brian,
    That's interesting that you point it was mostly Mod racing, all I have been able to find is mostly pictures and it's tough for an amateur to tell the difference between mod and stock outboards (unless I see a big old pipe hanging off the motor). Interesting that you note that lull in the 1980's as that's when the sport really seemed to dry up in the Atlantic provinces , and seemingly other places as well(New Brunswick and Nova Scotia both had active racing).

I find it interesting that Valleyfield can be such a mecca for hydroplane racing and there's outboard racing around.

Comment

-alky/PRO o/b 's, fueled with methanol, ie; Konig, Anzanis, Quincys, Crescents, and earlier the SRs and PRs , and CSerR, E-V Speeditwin.
      very popular, due to the presence of Stan McDonald here in Ottawa. The o/b race in Valleyfield was as big or bigger than the I/B regatta .
      Present day 'mods' are stock motors, with pipes , run on gas. Not to diminish them , as my fav class of all time was CModH with a Y102.
      Brian Hendrick, #66 F
      "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

[QUOTE=bh/;n479357]-alky/PRO o/b 's, fueled with methanol, ie; Konig, Anzanis, Quincys, Crescents, and earlier the SRs and PRs , and CSerR, E-V Speeditwin..
        very popular, due to the presence of Stan McDonald here in Ottawa. The o/b race in Valleyfield was as big or bigger than the I/B regatta .
        Present day 'mods' are stock motors, with pipes , run on gas. Not to diminish them , as my fav class of all time was CModH with a Y102. [/QUOTE
        `Brian We ran A&B Konig's C - Crescent D & F, D - Konig , DSH Merc, Boats Sid's & 1 Marh****ty in '68 47000 points

Comment

There were lots of boats from Quebec in the 70's. DSH's, BSR's. 25SSH's and CSH's. I can't give numbers because I have a limited number of fingers and toes.

Doug Overbury was one. Maybe you should ask him.

First photo: BSR at Cardinal with Quebec boats. I'm in the middle of the front with a Quebec boat inside me.

Second photo:Canadian nations at Pierrefonds. There are Quebec boats there.

​​​​​​​

Comment

If you go to the racebook site " Old boatracers and friends reunion weekend ' and search for Quebec, you will find more names and pictures of Quebec stock outboard racers.

Comment

Originally posted by rumleyfips View Post
              If you go to the racebook site " Old boatracers and friends reunion weekend ' and search for Quebec, you will find more names and pictures of Quebec stock outboard racers.
              Found quite a few old pictures. As mentioned above lots of Mod and DSH action back in the day.

Comment

I remember as many BSR's as DSH's but few mods in the 70's.

Comment

Working...
                X