2022 and Hydroracer's future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 and Hydroracer's future

Ok, guys and gals time for some heartfelt chatting as to the status and future of hydroracer.net.

First of all we stopped our 2020 membership drive short when COVID hit and it was suggested by a couple of members that it was not the time to do a membership drive soliciting money from registered members. I have continued to support the site since that time supplementing the little bit that Google Ads provides us with from our letting them place their ads on our site.

We have lost a couple of our banner advertisers as they are no longer using websites and the like to meet their club needs. Also due to the state of the economy, I did not bill for any advertising in 2021. In retrospect this may have been poor judgement on my part, but it felt like the right thing to do.

I have received a couple of donations for 2022 and that has helped to get us through the first couple of months of the year.

As of May 1st the cost of hosting the site is going to increase by about 10%, and I don't think that I can continue to support the site personally especially since having just had knee replacement surgery I am currently out of work.

I am not asking for money I am asking for honest opinions here. If we agree the time has come and the site should close down then so be it. If we think we should attempt a membership drive I can do some updating of the membership donation area and we can move forward with that and see if we can keep the site alive.

So, the question is... Do we do a membership drive in 2022 and try to continue with the site? Or, as many have suggested to me, has hydroracer run it's course and it is time to say good-bye to the site once and for all? (The site would have to be taken down and dismantled.)

I am curious as to what the membership thinks prior to making any final decisions.

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

I hate to have to admit it, but the site has probably run it's course. I have noticed that the traffic has dropped to a trickle of what it had been and do realize that it is a job and expense for you to keep up with. I would like Hydroracer to be here forever, but do realize that reality probably suggests it's time is near.

Comment

I think a membership drive is a necessary thing! Go for it.

Comment

It would be a shame to lose the Hydroracer. I have come to the site many times to look up something that people have posted in the past. I would be willing to bet that it is a generation thing. The younger generation live on social media and need that instant gratification and the history of the sport isn't important to them. Most people who post and read, in my opinion, are from the greatest generation, guys who raced in the 50s-80s, and we are losing those guys. It would be a shame to lose their stories and recollections.

Comment

Originally posted by racingfan1 View Post
          It would be a shame to lose the Hydroracer. I have come to the site many times to look up something that people have posted in the past. I would be willing to bet that it is a generation thing. The younger generation live on social media and need that instant gratification and the history of the sport isn't important to them. Most people who post and read, in my opinion, are from the greatest generation, guys who raced in the 50s-80s, and we are losing those guys. It would be a shame to lose their stories and recollections.
          Is it possible to archive the forum somehow ? To maintain it as a searchable site without the upkeep of a forum?

Comment

Membership drive...For a year..If money comes in..Then decide!

Comment

I have also noticed less meaty content but I think you should go forward with a drive and that may also push content back up

Comment

I check this site nearly every day...

Digital age is a blessing as well as a curse on hobbies like this... The internet connected us all quick & efficiently but as racers quit or migrate to other platforms (Facebook) the information tends to get lost in the shuffle and "one flick of the switch" can make all this great shared information disappear.
                www.BoatRacingFacts.com was down for a few days recently and it crossed my mind we would never see it again...

Propeller Magazines are still out there from way, WAY back and they are fun to read, but unless sites like this one continue, all this information will be lost. For this reason, I'm in favor of a membership drive to keep this site running.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs blueskyracer View Post
                  Ok, guys and gals time for some heartfelt chatting as to the status and future of hydroracer.net. I have received a couple of donations for 2022 and that has helped to get us through the first couple of months of the year.So, the question is... Do we do a membership drive in 2022 and try to continue with the site? Or, as many have suggested to me, has hydroracer run it's course and it is time to say good-bye to the site once and for all? (The site would have to be taken down and dismantled.)I am curious as to what the membership thinks prior to making any final decisions.
                  Yes, a 2022 membership drive would be appropriate. See how it goes and then decide.

Could hydroracer.net be converted into a Facebook account? Could the original guy that started this (sorry I can’t remember his name), help in some way.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post
                    Could hydroracer.net be converted into a Facebook account? Could the original guy that started this (sorry I can’t remember his name), help in some way.
                    I have zero interest in a facebook based forum... Too much sniping, no organization, and no retention of old information. Dan Lawrence started HydroRacer.net

Comment

Originally posted by 25xs View Post

I have zero interest in a facebook based forum... Too much sniping, no organization, and no retention of old information. Dan Lawrence started HydroRacer.net
                      I agree. Please, no Facebook based forum.

Comment

Dan Lawrence started the forum as a labor of love and the current owners took it on from him as the same, but over time situations change. To continue, Hydroracer would need to be tended by someone who is in a position to devote the time and resources the current and past owners have. A membership drive may keep it going for another year and maybe a few more after that, but without individuals desiring to take over and take a turn at running the site, it will eventually be gone. It would need to be kept going by a boatracing historical group to keep going or a club or association to keep it alive for generations to come. As I said, I wish this site as well as Ron Hill's site could be kept running for ever. Many of our friends that we have competed with and against and have since moved on to the great lake in the sky are still kept alive on these sites.
                        Last edited by modracer7b; 03-24-2022, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Just a thought…Would there be any chance that APBA could take over the sight?
                          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

New member here... I just recently found the site, and stumbled across this thread.

First. I was thrilled and surprised to see what seemed to be an active bbs style site. I have been a member at several over the years, and will certainly not deny the loss of usage presumably due to "other platforms"

F-B based forums lack the searchable database that these gems are! Here I am sorting out info from old posts... and I frequently find myself on my other boards looking up old details of projects I worked on a documented there. I can't imagine losing them.

I have no idea what this board costs to host, I know our Justy proboard site is ad based... and works. I see lot's of ads here, and maybe there was a change recently that has fixed the issue ( I notice this thread was a few months ago)

Finally happy to make a small contribution to add to the pot. I did a quick search but could not find a thread or link to a current drive.

Thanks for host a great wealth of info.

And I keep saying... hold on tight! the BBS boards will be back! We just need to collectively stop going to that "other" place...

Comment

Thank you Seanp3 and Philips DiFebo!

Welcome to hydroracer, we hope you enjoy your visit.

Comment

Working...
                              X