Digatron Tach DT31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digatron Tach DT31

Has anyone used a digatron dt31 tach with the single display on a y80 or 102? I assume it is an inductive tach? Looking for something with a large display compatible with point ignition. Ideal tach would be EGT TX2 but conversation with tech could not clarify ignition compatibility not to mention 400 bones out the window if it winds up in the drink.

Inductive tachs have a tough time on the Y80 and 102 due to dirty not clean signal of the magnetic field around the spark plug wire and interference from the other wire. Good luck getting a clean reading, let us know what you find that works and isn't 4 Benjamins?
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

It’s hit or miss. My tiny tach works well but the display is small. Driving and watching the tach may eventually lead to bad things happening. The older Stihl det 303 tach (same as pet 302) works well also but same small display. Looking into having a one off made with rpm rerun. Wondering about the DT31 if a one off cant be done.

Comment

My tiny tach works great, never an issue to my knowledge, cost around 100.00 . I use it on a 102

Comment

I have a tiny tach model TT226R-1C and it will not work well on the Y80, due to the not clean magnetic signal the TT locks up at high rpm. It is an older model bought in 2007. It works great on the CD ignition Merc 25ss.

Deeougee and Herb what model TT are you using and what are connection wraps at plug wire(s) to get a clean magnetic signal to the TT?
          "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
          No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Mine is the tt226r-2c. Problem with your is that it is for pwc. Used for engines with a spark firing every 180 degrees of crank revolution. Got mine in the last 80’s or early 90’s. Wonder if the R in the model refers to resistance because there are NR models as well. Like I said though never had a problem with mine, point and cdi ignitions. Just don’t like the small size of the numbers. Another one you might want to consider is the Stihl DET-303 which is actually made by Pulse Electronic Technologies. They have their own PET-302. Bigger reading and more consistent from what I’m told. That said I’m interested in anyone’s experience with the Digatron DT-31.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
              ZUL8TR commented
              Editing a comment
              Doug That is interesting on the 2C since in catalog it is for 1 spark fire each crank rev. And the 1C is for 1 spark fire each 180 crank rev which a 2 cylinder 2 cycle does. When I ordered mine the tech guy at TT said that for my 2 cylinder 2 cycle outboard to use the 1C. Install per instructions did not read correctly Called TT and tech said to wrap each plug wire in series with 3 wraps each, that works fine on on the Merc CD but the Y80 locks up the tach at high rpm. TT tech noted that point ignitions do not have a clean signal for inductive pickup and that causes problems. So seems to me they are messed up in their 1C and 2C design since your 2C works on the Y80.

TT no longer makes the 1C and 2C, now they make a TT2A that is adjustable for 1 to 8 sparks per crank rev.

Pete

Tech guy sold you the wrong one because on NR wires when you bring them together you will get radio interference and with the tach reading every 180 degrees you would get only a half reading on 1 wire if at all. The version you have is for pwc’s ignition systems. I’m guessing you told him it was an outboard motor and he assumed since it involved water sold you the tach not realizing it is just a regular 2 stroke motor like a lawnmower engine just water cooled. I’m not sure the new version would work on point engines.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
              ZUL8TR commented
              Editing a comment
              Well at least it reads correct on the 25ss merc with CD ignition with red TT lead wrapped on one plug wire the wrapped separate to the next plug wire in series. TT sold me the wrong unit their site descriptions and explanation back then was poor as well as their advice.
          Working...
          X