Speedy sponsons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Carruthers View Post
    We’ll there is a significant amount of work involved in building these steps rather than the usual you see I enjoy it so that’s what I like to do but others may not agree but it is in no way my idea to do this I got the design from my uncle who is in the cbf hall of fame for his boat building over the years and all his outboards he built along with all his inboards had these sponsons along with all the unlimited boats that currently run so all I can say is I’m going to continue to have fun building these crazy steps and hopefully see success
    Who is your uncle?
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Albert
      Albert commented
      Editing a comment
      Only 1 Carruthers in the CBF hall of fame.
      Steve Carruthers, boat builder, former Valleyfield 2.5 stock record holder...All round nice fella.

Glad to hear you're going ahead with your, or your uncles idea. To many times we get caught up in saying "what if", what if is a silly game, go forward if it don't work, you learned and move on.

Comment

• Carruthers
      Carruthers commented
      Editing a comment
      To me it’s fun building something a bit different based on things that are talked about when we race on land while in the shop I currently have two identical boats in my shop one built with a very aggressive s bottom design that we believe will work and another with all the same measurements but a conservative bottom design the same as most would see on a bezoat c hydro so we are excited to see the comparison

Originally posted by baries View Post
    Glad to hear you're going ahead with your, or your uncles idea. To many times we get caught up in saying "what if", what if is a silly game, go forward if it don't work, you learned and move on.
    Bud….. you are exactly correct…. when Thomas Edison was inventing ‘things’ and someone would say…’You failed 1000 times’… Edison would reply…’No I didn’t … I just learned 1000 things that did not work’. This was for sure when he invented the light bulb… he tried I think 1000 materials before he tried tungsten for the filament.
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      Right, great to try stuff and experiment and modify. BTW Edison did not invent the light bulb he perfected the filament with hundreds of employees working on the 1000's of possibilities. Credit to others before like Warren de la Rue in 1840 then J. Swan in 1850 when Edison was 3 years old. Edison commercialized it. History could use updating. Like Marconi inventing the radio it was N.Tesla.

By October 1879, Edison's team had produced a light bulb with a carbonized filament of uncoated cotton thread that could last for 14.5 hours.
    Several months after the 1879 patent was granted, Edison and his team discovered that a carbonized bamboo filament could burn for more than 1,200 hours. Bamboo was used for the filaments in Edison's bulbs until it began to be replaced by longer-lasting materials in the 1880s and early 1900s.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
      ZUL8TR commented
      Editing a comment
      Additional history on Edison inventing the light bulb vs Swan on the same:

"Or did he? It’s painful to cast aspersions on the reputation of one of America’s heroes, but Edison, who patented his bulb in 1879, merely improved on a design that British inventor Joseph Swan had patented 10 years earlier. Swan sued Edison for patent infringement, and the British courts ruled against Edison (as punishment, Edison had to make Swan a partner in his electric company). Even the U.S. Patent Office decided in 1883 that Edison’s patent was invalid, as it also duplicated the work of another American inventor."

Edison improved it and commercialized it (credit due) and had the news media at his disposal to report and build his reputation. He did some despicable things with killing animals in the War of the Currents of his DC against Tesla's AC. Look up that one.

Ref: https://www.cio.com/article/2441341/...ight-bulb.html

History does not happen in a linear way but it does rhymes at times.

Start the bagels and cream cheese ;-)

I like that we've covered sponsons, bagels, light bulbs (I'm going to stretch that a bit into heated filaments in a toaster). If you put that all together we now have a great morning set up of a nice breakfast with a toasted bagel and the kitchen lights on low. Followed by some boat testing. Sounds like a good day. I think I'll do that this Saturday.

Comment

-found this pic on a old thumb-drive, labelled DSR Carruthers. One of yours ? DSR Carruthers.JPG
      Brian Hendrick, #66 F
      "the harder we try, the worser it gets"

Comment

No that wouldn’t be one of ours We have only built hydros

Comment

Working...
        X