Time to build race boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to build race boats

20210407_141017_HDR.jpg 20210407_141017_HDR.jpg 20210409_105105_HDR.jpg 20210409_105052_HDR.jpg 1947 Chris Craft 19 foot barrel back restoration almost done, time to do what makes my heart beat faster race boats.

Bud,

Wow... what a beauty. How long did it take? Do you have any ‘Before’ pictures?
    sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

There is a little over two years of part time involved. The agreement going in was I would work on it when didn't have a race boat to build or repair. All the before pictures were on my phone that was stolen so no pictures, sorry. It was in very bad shape, whole bottom rotted, and had been outside adn in a barn for 8 years.

Comment

Nice.... the boat should be shown in a wooden boat show.
        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

That’s stunning.

Comment

Absolutely dig this!

I added an 1100r to my stable this year as well: 1954 Chris Craft Racing Runabout. It's been great heading out onto the water on a brisk, calm morning with the fam and cruise around the lakes!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by guedo499; 04-12-2021, 10:11 AM.
            http://vitalire.com/

Comment

• ZUL8TR
              ZUL8TR commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice rig, enjoy your time with the young ones

Enjoy and embrace the time with family. All too soon they are grown and gone.

Comment

Originally posted by baries View Post
              20210407_141017_HDR.jpg 20210407_141017_HDR.jpg 20210409_105105_HDR.jpg 20210409_105052_HDR.jpg 1947 Chris Craft 19 foot barrel back restoration almost done, time to do what makes my heart beat faster race boats.
              That is show quality work, beautiful job. Do you roll and tip the varnish or is that some other finish like auto clear sprayed on? If varnish what brand?
              "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
              No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Thanks, rolled and tipped, 3 coats then block sand with 320, 3 more coats then wet sand with 600, then the final 3 coats waiting two days between coats for drying sanded with 2000 and wheeled with 3M Perfectit. Pettit brand. Lots of work but the finish is worth it will last for another 74 years hopefully.

Comment

Thanks for the info. What type Pettit like Captains, etc that is machine buffable?

On the race boats I also do roll and tip and hand brush where R & T can't get to. 3 coats epoxy then 3 coats varnish and final machine buff after sanding thru the grit sheets up to 5000 then machine buff with foam wheel with super fine Scratch and Swirl remover by Turtle Wax works great.

"Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                  No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Question from the inexperienced here. Why go with varnish instead of a modern clear? Colour reasons? Or is this a period correct type of thing?

Comment

• ZUL8TR
                      ZUL8TR commented
                      Editing a comment
                      IMO Varnish gives a traditional rich look to the wood because of its amber color and it is flexible with wood movement. Auto clear has no color so no enhancement of the wood just looking thru glass and I have seen clear coated boats with stress cracks and peeling. The epoxy I use is not brittle and has some flex in the cured chemistry and works great with varnish. Never have had stress cracks or varnish separation from the epoxy when done right with years of use. Then there is the time between coats and hand working prep sanding to get the finish right compared to a quick clear spray job for production which is less labor. Some varnishes with low oil content buff out great, have done that many times. I recall when I raced APBA in the 70's the Swifts, Bezoats, etc were varnished. 

If refinishing an older hull varnish is the best period correct finish to match what was used. 

On the repair side clear is much easier to work with and do spot work, blend and buff out if the clear is not flawed with cracks and lifting that takes special care. Varnish requires a different refinish approach. 

Others have different opinions like what oil to use.

• Albert
                      Albert commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the info. I must admit the red tinge and bit of darkness to the wood does look fantastic.
                  Working...
                  X