Yamato 300 Series Engine Preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamato 300 Series Engine Preference

Something I’ve noticed over the last 5-6 years. Everyone coming into the sport wants a 300 series yamato. I’m curious what is driving the decision. Is it cdi ignition versus points? Parts availability? What is driving the decision to purchase these engines versus the Y80 and 102. Would more technical knowledge in working on the Y80 and 102, particularly setting points influence your decision. Would like to hear from people who have recently come into stock outboard racing.

For what it's worth, not a racer but I've run outboards on hydros for 50 yrs.. Personally I have owned and run them all. With the 80's being built in the mid 70's and the 102's built in the early 80's most are just worn out and beat up if they have been raced much. The 302 is the best outboard I've ever run, strong and consistent but after all the 2 and 4 cylinder Mers's anything was an upgrade.

Comment

I’m in the first half of my 30s and have lots of mechanically competent friends. You know how many of them have set points? Maybe 2. Heck even I’ve only set points 4-5 times and only because I like old motorcycles and vw’s.

I got an 80 because that’s what was available and that’s what the locals run. I know my motor has been appart many times and I could tell you 3 or 4 things in my motor that just aren’t ideal. But it went back together because it’s a 40 year old motor and I made the call that some of these things are “good enough”.

All that being said if there was an new motor with efi and electronic ignition available to run I would be very interested as that’s what I know. For now I just hope the 80 will be ok.

Comment

Grew up with a mechanic dad and setting points was taught like riding a bike. On the Y80 setting the points with a buzz box and a dial indicator is very easy with patience to get them in sync with the same BTDC piston position, once you know how!. That said since I own a CD Merc 25ss I prefer the CD system that is dead on and it doesn't change timing like the Y80 will that needs frequent setting since some design problems. Would prefer the 302 with CD.
        "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
        No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Originally posted by ZUL8TR
          Grew up with a mechanic dad and setting points was taught like riding a bike. On the Y80 setting the points with a buzz box and a dial indicator is very easy with patience to get them in sync with the same BTDC piston position, once you know how!.
          I mean this in the kindest possible way, but that statement kind of speaks to your age.
          Finding people with the willingness to set timing before every race day...maybe between heats is going to get more and more difficult. I’m shocked at what 80s still sell for, and I bet the bottom may well fall out of that market in a few years. But I could be wrong.

It would be great for one of you veterans to make a YouTube video on how to set timing on an 80. It would be helpful to the new folks who don’t have locals around to lean on.

That’s just the ignition. What about pistons ? Is it legal to put new sleeves in?

Comment

Kindly taken but so what age in profile but no affect on know how. No need to set timing as often as you note but once set easy to quick check with buzz box and dial indicator Without pulling rope plate and point cover to get at points.

Check the stock inspection manual (link) for pistons and sleeves allowed and other items:

https://www.apba.org/documents/19907...l%20Manual.pdf

Here is a 2017 post in link I answered on how to set point ignition timing in 2 cyl Yamato with buzz box, dial indicator and feeler gage:

https://hydroracer.net/forums/forum/...iming-question

Give me a call happy to discuss Y80 timing and other tech items 4zero7-2nine3-four7zero9
            "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
            No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
              ZUL8TR commented
              Editing a comment
              Presently my Y80 is buttoned up and ignition set so opening up for pictures would not be now. Since I am very familiar with Y80 ignition and other parts of it I can do you well via tele. I have helped several who never did it via tele to rebuild power heads, set timing and other. Before tackling the Y80 ignition do you have a good inductive buzz box (like I have from Aircraft Spruce as noted in link above)? Do you have a dial indicator with 0.001" increments Harbor freight OK? This indicator needs to be mounted in a spark plug shell 18 or 14mm depending on head. With the porcelain and ground metal removed then filled with epoxy (JB Weld) and drilled out to accept dial indicator stem and a side lock bolt in the hex area. Easy to make I have 14 and 18mm adapters for the dial indicator.
              Start with a tele?

• Albert
              Albert commented
              Editing a comment
              Ok, sometimes I just can’t stop myself from railroading a thread.

I will call you at some point for a walk through.

But...what’s a buzz box do that a multi meter cant while in the quiet of my garage? I get the audio que can be helpful but really aren’t you just looking to know the moment the coils start letting the electrons through?

• ZUL8TR
              ZUL8TR commented
              Editing a comment
              Hope OK to hi jack in comments a bit? The Aircraft Spruce Magneto timing box measures inductance very accurate.The MM will measure voltage by the needle swing (or digital) and buzzes if you have that feature. Using MM for continuity check on points will not work on Y80. I tried my Sperry brand digital MM on the Y80 ignition and found it very difficult to detect point opening. You might have better success with the MM give it a try. IMO the inductance measuring box I use is easy, quick and accurate.

Also tried the NOVA II chips to eliminate the points and condenser (discussed on this site) found not consistent vs rpm timing when checked with timing light. Some have had success with NOVA II that is allowed in APBA stock outboard manual. This would have been easy and great to set timing with a pointless ignition.

Do you have kill switch wired from the mag? Y80 uses 2 wire normally open type a necessary item.

We can continue via email (B4 tele) if you wish to stop the hi-jack here: psushinsky@cfl.rr.com

My opinion... for as long as I have been reading things on H/R, ZUL8TR knows his stuff. Do give him a call.
            Respectfully, Dave Viola retired. Not Barry.

Comment

• ZUL8TR
              ZUL8TR commented
              Editing a comment
              Appreciate that

How much is a good used Y302 selling for lately?

Comment

• ZUL8TR
              ZUL8TR commented
              Editing a comment
              The operative word is Good! Also who owned it and what was done to it and what is needing done?

Originally posted by mac19f View Post
            How much is a good used Y302 selling for lately?
            Probably $3000... plus or minus a little.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

The tough part is getting anyone to commit to sell. Dean, you're probably right, long ways from the $1850 I gave for my first one.
              mb

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Byer View Post
                The tough part is getting anyone to commit to sell. Dean, you're probably right, long ways from the $1850 I gave for my first one.
                mb
                But $3000 still is not bad.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Working...
                X