Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Giving a Bezoat a Second Chance

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Shanon would be very happy!
    Kegs



    Comment


    • #92
      Now, that is one well done restoration.... keep up the good work. Can’t wait to see the finished product.
      sigpic

      Dean F. Hobart

      Comment


      • #93
        Excellent restoration, looks like the pickles will be rounded, Shannon Bowman did a great frame design. Will you be adding a toe tie fixture at bow?
        "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
        No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

        Comment


        • #94
          There will likely be no fixture at the bow the handle at the front should do the trick

          Comment


          • #95
            All of you should know that your kind words about the restoration should mostly be directed at Carruthers.

            Robert,
            I think that could be the highest compliment given for this kind of project. Did you know Shanon personally ?

            Comment


            • #96
              The requested glamour shot of the inner sponson repair



              Comment


              • #97
                I knew Shannon from back in the 1960's when we were both running A stock. He was teamed with his older brother Craig who I occasionally ran against in C mod as well as his niece Erika who also ran C sometimes. They were in the NJ/PA area and I was out of MA so we crossed paths now and then, as recent as the early 2000's when I finally gave it up. They were/are both top shelf people.

                Comment


                • #98
                  Originally posted by modracer7b View Post
                  I knew Shannon from back in the 1960's when we were both running A stock. He was teamed with his older brother Craig who I occasionally ran against in C mod as well as his niece Erika who also ran C sometimes. They were in the NJ/PA area and I was out of MA so we crossed paths now and then, as recent as the early 2000's when I finally gave it up. They were/are both top shelf people.
                  Shanon learned boat building when he worked for Mickey and Sid of the Sid Craft fame. Shanon and Craig’s father was the main editor and writer of the famous magazine Boat Sport, which was published during the 1950’s. One article was about Craig building his first J runabout when he was about 9 years old. Craig built the famous Broccoli runabouts.

                  FYI... you can see all of the Boat Sport magazines by going to... boatsport.org. Every issue and all pages are there. It is worth the time to look at them.
                  sigpic

                  Dean F. Hobart

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    I worked for him back in the late 70's. They didn't come any better then Shanon. I drove one of his first "D&35" Pickleforks- best ride I ever had.
                    Kegs



                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by DeanFHobart View Post

                      Shanon learned boat building when he worked for Mickey and Sid of the Sid Craft fame. Shanon and Craig’s father was the main editor and writer of the famous magazine Boat Sport, which was published during the 1950’s. One article was about Craig building his first J runabout when he was about 9 years old. Craig built the famous Broccoli runabouts.

                      FYI... you can see all of the Boat Sport magazines by going to... boatsport.org. Every issue and all pages are there. It is worth the time to look at them.
                      {SID SON !} Not craft !



                      Comment


                      • Great stories and history coming out here feel free to keep them coming. Looks like Carruthers had every clamp in use tonight.

                        Comment


                        • Anyone in new england have some scrap stripped mahogany? Cant find any boat/furniture builders up here with any and a full sheet is cost prohibitive on this project. Anyone who knows these boats will know what its for a 3ft square piece would be enough...maybe even less depending on the shape of the off cut.

                          Comment


                          • Really nice work Mr Carruthers!

                            Comment


                            • Expert rebuild, never enough clamps and ways to use them.
                              I see double skins on part of the left and right rear non trips with lightening holes. Were those original for extra strength by Shannon or were they added by Mr Carruthers with the new skins? Of the latter what was your reason?
                              Pete
                              "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
                              No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

                              Comment


                              • Carruthers
                                Carruthers commented
                                Editing a comment
                                The coaming were actually 18mm thick! With all the previous repairs so I routered off 12 mm and added 3 mm to either side to make it both strong enough and look good and for the chines I added a layer of 3mm on the outside to strengthen the newly repaired air traps and the holes you see were made to offset the weight of the extra layer

                            • Originally posted by Albert View Post
                              Anyone in new england have some scrap stripped mahogany? Cant find any boat/furniture builders up here with any and a full sheet is cost prohibitive on this project. Anyone who knows these boats will know what its for a 3ft square piece would be enough...maybe even less depending on the shape of the off cut.
                              Just an FYI suggestion... Try some on line mahogany wood sales... it should be out there.
                              sigpic

                              Dean F. Hobart

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X