Bezoat resto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bezoat resto

Hi all. It has been some time since posting about the restoration of my Bezoat hydro. It is going along quit well and am pleased with my progress. As always, daily life slows progress, but I am fortunate to have this issue. Anyhow, I am almost done the topside and interior. The cowl was a beast to make. I went way beyond my skill zone there. It was fun though. The scrap bin at the local mill was the source for all the strips, as well as some mahogany for the interior.
    my planer had a heck of a workout. Because of the damage to the coaming, I laminated some dark wood strips to the side to cover up the damage. Again, this was a little tricky.
    I just received all the hardware from Rick Fralick yesterday and will get that sorted out before the last coat of epoxy.
    Now I need to figure out the paint details. Because of the damage to the deck, I have to paint up front. Would like it to reflect the boats heritage.
    Some pictures of the boat when Jeff Hutchins had it would be amazing. I know I won't be able to get it exactly as it was, but a respectful tribute is what I am after.
    This has been and is an amazing adventure. The people in this sport/hobby have been amazing!
    Thanks for all the help
    tom
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TomSki; 06-27-2020, 10:07 AM.

My complements to the chef. Nice job on the cowl and the innerds. I have done several restos and do all sorts of stuff to hide bad areas and it is sometimes easier to build the boat from scratch but that looses the heritage. I read that your final coat will be epoxy. If some wood will be left natural epoxy does not do well in the sun. Maybe the epoxy you are using has some limited ultra violet protection and boat will be mostly in the garage that should be ok? Done lots of varnish over epoxy and have a nice process for flawless final coat, let me know if interested. I believe the Bezoats were varnished like a lot of race boats back in that era.

Keep posting your progress.
    "Keep Move'n" life is catching up!
    No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Hey Zul8, thanks for the encouragement. I will agree that it may be easier to build new. Still a satisfying process though. Persistence pays off in the end.
      I am definitely going to varnish over the epoxy. I bought a quart of Epiphanes formthat duty. Certainly any pointers will be appreciated.

Comment

Tom
        PM sent
        Pete
        No man's life, liberty or property are safe while the legislature is in session.

Comment

Post #3 is Jeff's Bezoats unfortunately it has a protected band across the pic

https://hydroracer.net/forums/forum/...-jeff-hutchins

Comment

Hi All. It has been a long while since I've updated on my hydro project. As usual, the biggest hurdle is time, or lack of that is. I have still managed to plug away on the old Bezoat, and can say I'm "almost done". Unfortunately I won't get it in the water this year, but that will just add to the excitement when spring comes around.
            As you can see in the photos, I have the boat painted and varnished, and am pleased with the results this far. I will apply another coat of varnish to the deck though. I missed two spots last application. I need better lighting! For paint, I sprayed using Sherwin Williams Automotive products. Good coverage, and easy to apply. The setup, is a pain though. My garage looked like a set from the Dexter" series.
            Overall, I am pleased with the results. Every time I walk into the garage, it amazes me how beautiful the design of that boat is. Hats off to Shannon Bowman!!
            Again, I appreciate all the advice from fellow members. It is a pleasure being a part of this community.
            I'll have t

Cheers

Tom

Sorry, I'll have to upload the pictures this evening. I need to edit the format from home.

Comment

Greetings from the great white north! It has been quite some time since my last post. Many other obligations of course.
              I've been plugging away on my Bezoat over the last while. Was hoping to get it in the water this year, but that didn't happen. I would have had to sacrifice other obligations, and that wouldn't have gone over well All that needs to be done is a last coat of varnish, which will be sprayed on. Can't seem to get good enough results with the brush. The yellow and white, however look great! Not sure if I truly like the design of the yellow, but overall, I am pleased. There was very little leeway with the damage to the deck, and I wanted as much natural finish as possible. The cowl turned out really well. It was one of the most challenging projects I've encountered. It is removable which is pretty cool.
              my boat project t for the winter is a custom fuel tank and clean the motor up. I will be looking to source some decals to liven up the aesthetic and give it a more vintage feel, hopefully honoring the Hutchins history.
              Having issues loading pics.....

Comment

Pics would be nice. Varnish with a brush can be challenging. Did I send you details how I get good results with roll and tip for the varnish and very ultra fine sanding products and buffing to remove dust bunnies? The right varnish for buffing is needed. Details available.

Comment

I have Bezoat decals jschubert19j@gmail.com

Comment

I finally managed to get some photos loaded. Now that winter is winding dow it is time to get back to my project. I am pleased with the results and am excited to get back on it. Currently fabricating the fuel tank, and prepping the engine cowl for paint and new decals. I will contact John Schubert for new boat decals as well.
                    Attached Files

Comment

20201111_170637.jpg 20201111_170511.jpg 20201101_111541.jpg 20201101_111509.jpg Finally sorted out my uploading issues, whatever they were. Anyhow, I'm rather pleased with the results. The paint went on nicely. No sags or runs. Used sherwin William's automotive paint. The local supplier gave me job shop pricing which was amazing. Had a heck of a time with the varnish. It would brush on nicely, but it was almost like someone used a salt shaker on it. After several coats, I came to the conclusion tha varnish had crystallized. Bought a can of Helmsman, which solved the issue. The deck repair somewhat dictated the design. Must have taped off a half dozen patterns before settling. I will be sourcing some Bezoat decals from Mr Schubert. May also do a little pinstriping to enhance the design.
                      After a few months break, I am currently fabricating the gas tank and will paint the engine cowl which has a couple cracks and scratches. Found some decals on Ebay. Looking forward to getting this thing in the water.
                      Stay safe
                      cheers
                      ​​​​​​​tom

Comment

Tom, very, very nice.... excellent job.
                        sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

Excellent result, good choice on the color design. What was the final process you used on the clear finish, brush roll and tip or spray. Did you use varnish or auto clear? Waiting to see run video.

Comment

Thanks for the props!
                            The final varnish was applied with a poly bristle brush of all things. As I was building up a few coats, I found the fine synthetic bristles worked just fine.
                            If I wanted a museum quality finish, then a clear auto lacquer would be sprayed on. Won't be going that route though. I will however, cut and buff the yellow to bring out the color.
                            I have the boat stored iin the shed to make room for snowmobiles, but man, do I miss looking at it. Kudos to Shannon for building such a beautiful boat.
                            I think I'll bring it back in tomorrow. The sleds can live outside!
                            T

Comment

You should come visit NB this summer . Have two restored bezoats do some laps.

Comment

Working...
                              X