Old Race Numbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Race Numbers

Is there any way to look up an old race number in order to learn about a boat's history? I'm specifically wondering about # 640- N. Looks like an old B Swift.
    Asking for a friend. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by munimula; 05-09-2020, 06:57 PM.

Sabrina Haudek at APBA headquarters may be able to help.
    The suffix "N" indicates the boat's owner was from New York....the boat would have been based in Region 3.
    You can reach her at shaudek@apba.org.
    No gaurantees...but it is place to start.
    BTW, the posting in Hydroracer may well get you the answer.
    Good luck.

Comment

Actually, New York is Region 2, but I would guess that it is from the 1950's I raced Region1 starting in 1960, running A and B starting in 1962 and I don't recall seeing that particular boat. The swift hydros were pretty much all phased out by 1965. John Schubert may remember something like this as he ran A in the late 50's from New Jersey. Pretty much all the northeast crossed over between Regions 1,2 and 3 now and then at that time. You might want to post this on boatracingfacts.com as he seems to be over there often with some of the other very old timers. VanWheels from New York are often there too.

Comment

• dwhitford
        dwhitford commented
        Editing a comment
        Region 2 (New York State) no longer exists because the number of boat racers in NY dropped so low.. It was recently consolidated into Region 3.

Thanks you guys!

Comment

Originally posted by modracer7b View Post
        Actually, New York is Region 2, but I would guess that it is from the 1950's I raced Region1 starting in 1960, running A and B starting in 1962 and I don't recall seeing that particular boat. The swift hydros were pretty much all phased out by 1965. John Schubert may remember something like this as he ran A in the late 50's from New Jersey. Pretty much all the northeast crossed over between Regions 1,2 and 3 now and then at that time. You might want to post this on boatracingfacts.com as he seems to be over there often with some of the other very old timers. VanWheels from New York are often there too.
        Actually in the late 50's I ran BSH then CSH. In 1950 through 1954 when Stock Outboards hydros were first approved & appeared APBA assigned 500's, 600's & 700's for their boat numbers. If you raced runabout & hydro, such as Dick O'Dea, his runabout was 86-J & his hydro was 586-J. Beginning in 1955 they dropped the 5, 6 &7 prefix. My number was 519-J then in 1955 it became 19-J.

Comment

• Graham
          Graham commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, John. I started in 1957 and you just taught me something new from the past.

Sorry John, I just guessed that you started with an A like most of us did. I had forgotten about having a separate number on each boat when I started, and I never knew about that 500,600,700 thing. Also did not know about the region consolidation. Guess I've been away for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by modracer7b View Post
          Sorry John, I just guessed that you started with an A like most of us did. I had forgotten about having a separate number on each boat when I started, and I never knew about that 500,600,700 thing. Also did not know about the region consolidation. Guess I've been away for a long time.
          I did start in ASH with a Jacoby in 1953. In 1954 when the 20H's came out we added BSH to ASH. I set the competition record in BSH that year at the Syracuse Divisional & placed 3rd at the nationals in Depere, WI. Dave took over the A motor for runabout in 1955 then in 1956 we got the first Sid hydro & then a new one in 1957. Went in to the US Merchant Marine Academy in 1957 . 1958 Dad got me started in CSH limited racing although in 1960 was 2nd at the nationals & high point champion.

Comment

Working...
          X