Pro Engines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro Engines

What is the going price of a new Pro Engine nowdays ? Are they capable of winning as is. or do they require a lot of tender loving care> Ala a lot more money? Winning mod motors today in the 750- 850 classes. Your going to have deep pockets. I have most probably 5 to 6 thousand in my 750`s Even though I do a lot of the work myself. Steve Dunn does all the machine work on the block and pistons.I also have A Tohatsu I hear they are going for $7000.00 or more now.

I bought a 700 Konny powerhead a year ago for around $7000. Ran pretty much flawlessly all last year and was fast right out of the box. No reason to do any work to it......it is the "stockest" motor i own. More reliable than any mod or stock engine i have owned.....and way cooler. I won many races right out of the gate with it and never even pulled the heads off it until last winter to check everything out. Had new bearings put on the crank and i replaced the rings and all seals......thats it!
    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

The GRM (Rossi) is run in on his dyno prior to shipping. We bought a new 250 in 2018. We received it a day before Pleasant Prairie. Eric won Pleasant Prairie, Springfield and Depue. Finished every heat entered. They are more than competitive right out of the box. Rex has parts in stock for same day shipping if needed and he is at all the USTS races with parts.

Comment

Probably the only cost difference is the fact that constant RPM at 11,000 will require more worn out parts so a pro motor in the long run will cost more. As more people aquire one sooner or later as with any race engine the stock ones will need engine tuners to modify things. But to win it take alot more than motors.

Comment

250cc is $7,500 for complete motor...lower unit, downhousing, pipes... plus shipping..350 is a couple hundred more plus shipping
          sigpicWayne DiGiacomo

Comment

I too, bought an engine, a 125, bolted it on before the first heat and won the race. I've ran it three years along with kilos twice a year and haven't done a single thing to the motor - not even changed the jet. The Konny, only issue I had was self-inflicted. The prices might seem a bit higher, but I paid more for my SW than the 125 and more for the Toohotsue D than the Konny. I have (12) 302/321's that I'm trying to find the .25hp difference and special torque curve, SO, I can agree, the pro engines are the most-stock engines I have and the pricing is all relative.
            http://vitalire.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DiGia54D View Post
              250cc is $7,500 for complete motor...lower unit, downhousing, pipes... plus shipping..350 is a couple hundred more plus shipping
              New 500 Rossi is $4,000.00 more.

Comment

OH! WAIT! You can actually buy one too! And when you get it, you don’t have to ship parts all over the country to make it “More Stock”... #weird
                I cannot speak for VRP and Rossi, but the Konny rep, Mike Thirlby at Thirlby Automotive, either has or intends to have engines in stock.
                Who would have thought that Stocks would be more like Mods, and Mods more like the old Alky classes and what??? Pro’s are the most stock engines in competition??? WTF???
                Must be a result of Global Warming...

Comment

When Wayne and Chick Larose got their new 4 cylinder Konigs, maybe 1968, they were pretty enthusiastic. Run right out of the box, no mods needed , start every heat.

Comment

• rumleyfips
                    rumleyfips commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This thread has a picture of a 4 cylinder Konig, 1968, with the can exhaust.

http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...incy-Flatheads

• rumleyfips
                    rumleyfips commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think Ron Hill won the John Ward at Valleyfield, 1967, with a VC.

• dwhitford
                    dwhitford commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Right, the 4-cylinder rotor-valve VB, VC, and VD Koenigs were available from the middle-late 1960s onward, but it took Dieter almost 10 years more to make the 4-cylinder 250 cc rotor-valve engines available. I recall Chick champing at the bit to get one, waiting impatiently until they were finally available. One thing Chick once commented to me was that his 1969 two pipe 250cc engine had very limited cooling capacity between the two cylinders, forcing him to limit his nirto to 7%, while his big brother, Wayne, could run 20% or more in his VC engine.
                    Last edited by dwhitford; 04-25-2020, 06:56 PM.

Mike Thirlby is at every Title Series race, he has tons of spare parts in stock at the RACE! . You couldn't ask for more factory support! At this point in my racing career I own a number of engines. The brand new Konny 700 is at the top of the list regarding reliability and fun factor! I call it the faster version of a 4 cylinder Mercury, It always starts, I can mill at whatever speed I feel like 45 or 95, don't need to constantly adjust the carbs. Did I mention how much fun the ride is? The cost is comparable to any engine with 4 cylinders and it will go faster than the others, if those kinds of speeds suit you.

Comment

I agree with Joe 100%! Heck, my 700 Konny is more stock then any Stock Outboard racing engine i have ever owned! I enjoy racing 700 stock runabout!!
                    Daren

​DSH/750ccmh/850ccmh

Team Darneille

sigpic

Comment

GRM motors are the same, they start every time, run fast right out of the box if you have a good prop, have a good supply of parts in stock and help at every Title Series race. You do not need to do anything except add fuel and run!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X