Ecuador

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ecuador

West Coast team to race in the Guayaquil – Vinces Regatta in Ecuador!

Ric Montoya (Region 10), Darrell Sorensen (Region 11) and Bob Williams (Region 12) will be entering this famous race in Ecuador March 26th. This race has been held annually for at least 40 years. It starts in Guayaquil, Ecuador’s largest city; the course travels up the Guayas and Vinces rivers, a distance of 80 miles, to the city of Vinces. There will be around 80,000 spectators in Vinces at the finish of the race. The team will be in Ecuador during the week prior the race for testing their boats, scouting the course, meeting with the press and tourism. Darrell Sorensen is building two new boats especially for this race. The two boats will be entered in the Oroville 100 marathon March 4-5 in preparation for the race in Ecuador. The third boat will be provided by Dr. Roger Moscoso in Ecuador, which he built from Sorensen “Hungry Gypo” plans. The rules are for 400cc motors and runabout boats. Most of the entrants will be using Mercury engines, with some Yamatos. The U.S. team will be using Yamato motors.
    All the members of the team have raced in the Top ‘O Michigan marathon and are looking forward to this new challenge. More information on racing in Ecuador can be found at: www.vincesnautico.freeservers.com

Sunny California day

70 deg. no wind, can't wait for the kilos and marathon at Oroville March 4-5. My wife, Linda is going to Ecuador with us so since it was a nice day she offered to sand the boats going to Ecuador. Now if I can just get to use the "stink block"
    Attached Files

Comment

You are making me want to leave for California NOW. Meanie. It will be almost zero here tonight.
      Brian X21 Can't wait to see you.

Comment

Size boats

What size, wheight are these, what class would they be here?
        They look pretty similar to some here,thanks.
        Richard F.
        RichardK.C. Mo.

Comment

C Stock Runabouts 12'. In Ecuador they run mostly Mercury 25XS (some look like they are a 25 Merc power head on some racing lowerunit with a megaphone exaust system) Two drivers have Yamato 302s. There will be more after we leave. They also have a standard lowerunit class for the 25 hp Mercs.

Comment

Originally posted by CSR4C
            . *** Most of the entrants will be using Mercury engines, with some Yamatos. The U.S. team will be using Yamato motors.
            How ironic! Good luck Guys. Ed Hearn.
            14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

Real Boat Racing Wife

Darrell: Now I know how you have made it all of these years celebrating your anniversary at the nationals, half of the time, without your wife present. I made my wife view this picture. God bless Linda. Ed Hearn.
              14-H

"That is NOT why people hate me." - 14-H.

Comment

How in God's name did Scott Smith from Fishers Landing NY get his photo on the top of the ecuador web site. Good Luck to all, looks like fun

Comment

It is "copy & paste". There is also a photo taken at Pleasanton in CA that has Gary Lewis, Donnie Morris, Ken Kaiser & I think the motor from my boat (I'm in front)
                  Darrell

Comment

Re:Real boat racing wife

Ed,
                    Linda just read your post. This is from her XXXXX

Comment

West Coast team to race in the Guayaquil – Vinces Regatta in Ecuador!

All the members of the team have raced in the Top ‘O Michigan marathon and are looking forward to this new challenge. More information on racing in Ecuador can be found at: www.vincesnautico.freeservers.com
                      Will you be wearing kevlar??? From the website photos it looks like the operative phrase for the drivers would be " ... we don't need no stinkin' kevlar"

Hey Sponsonhead ... head down to Ecuador ... big market for cut suits and racing gear!!!
                      Untethered from reality!

Comment

Of course I will be wearing kevlar, I know what a prop can do with out it. (Newberg 1971) Be sides we may need protection from bad creatures in the water.

Comment

... we may need protection from bad creatures in the water.
                          All kidding aside I would think that could be a real risk for someone unlucky enough to take an unexpected swim ... any stories from past races??
                          Untethered from reality!

Comment

This marathon has been ran since 1957. Their are other closed course races also. The river is in a valley, one picture of it remined me of the Willamette River in Oregon. So I am sure the only thing in the river is fish with no long teeth. When Dewald was there about 15 years ago, the first thing they taught the Americans was how to get plastic thrash bags off your prop while running.

Comment

greetings from Ecuador

Bob Williams, Darrell & Linda Sorensen are now in Ecuador, we were not able be bring the boats that were build for this race. We are using boats from Ecuador. We did bring a 302 in suit cases. We tested yesterday in Vinces. The river is at flood stage. It is amasing what they do here with so little. We were impressed with the speed of there 25XS powered boats. Ric Montoya will arrive today. We meet with the press today. Tomorrow we will scout the course in a patrol boat.
                              Everyone is very friendly and do much to help us.
                              I will be posting some pictures soon.
                              Darrell

Comment

Working...
                              X