Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cant buy a good fast one, so make your own!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prop start to finish.jpg
    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice... keep up the good work.
      sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

few more 750 mod props being finished...
        new props 1.jpg
        new props 2.jpg

Comment

On the history side of three blade propellers.... The first one I saw was on Clark Maloof’s D Stock Hydro at the 1977 Bakersfield California Stock Outboard Nationals. The first one I had for my A Stock Hydro, was made from two Kamic #48-23636 two blades cut into 120 degree wedges and welded together by Dick Fickett and finished by R. Allen ‘Papa’ Smith. And it did work.... I broke my own A Stock Hydro 1-2/3’s, 5 mile competition record at Lawrence Lake, Yelm, Washington in 1979 with it.
          sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

First 3 blade I saw was on Vern Kargus BSH in 1976 at Hinton WV Nationals in inspection, after he won. Little did I know he would become my future father-in-law.
            "Ask anyone, I have no friends. I do have some people that put up with me and mostly because they like the rest of my family"

Don Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Big Don View Post
              First 3 blade I saw was on Vern Kargus BSH in 1976 at Hinton WV Nationals in inspection, after he won. Little did I know he would become my future father-in-law.
              Now that is cool....What type of boat did Vern run at that time?
              sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• Chip Trampe
                Chip Trampe commented
                Editing a comment
                Most likely a medium sponson B Sid-Craft.

Charlie Holman has been welding 4 blade props out of 2blade props for years. Have several in the trailer now. Does great work.

Comment

Vern had a new boat built specifically for the 1976 Hinton Nationals. Ron Anderson and Bobby Hering (A & H) built him a Hedlund style boat with totally different deck lift and a very wide bottom for the huge Mile and 2/3 Hinton Course. We tested a ton down at Kaukauna then went to Hinton. It was his first race with the boat. He won 4 straight heats for the Championship. I have to say it's my proudest moment ever from boat racing. Beats my championships by far as I was so proud of him. So the discussion is really about 3-blades. My dad was welding up 3 and 4 blades since about 1972 for sure. We tested a ton for years. When I was getting my "temps" for driving, one of my first long drives was to a foundry where my dad was getting estimates to have 3 and 4 blades cast. I know Vern and Craig Dewald had conversations over coffee about prop technology. He was running 3 blades at the Dayton nationals (1974 and 1975) for sure. I think he ran one in Utah in 1973 as well. He (we) would run 4 blades at local races all the time to test them in race conditions. My dad lost races due to the greater cause. The 4 blades were really hard to get on plane but held great and powered through our small, rough river courses. This was of course on the 1964 mid-sponson Sid Craft that Chip mentioned. Once he got the A & H and was able to handle the huge Hinton corners, the rest is history as we believe he was the first to win a stock nationals with a 3-blade. Unfortunately a 1977 car accident put an abrupt stop to all of this. There are still a good number of wood pitch blocks in my mom's basement. The castings were never finished.

Comment

1978, Dick Sidor and the Sobel's were making 3 blades, and with Dick's expertise touch put our A hydros,B hydros and 25SS hydros out in the front of the pack quite often!

Comment

A few more 4 blades done and ready for testing...
                    prop box.jpg
                    Last edited by john527; 01-11-2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Couple more D mod wheels finished last week using our new bronze pitch block
                      bronze 1.jpg 2 new.jpg

Comment

one of our props after balancing

Comment

Originally posted by john527 View Post
                          Couple more D mod wheels finished last week using our new bronze pitch block]
                          Are you making your own pitch blocks? And then ‘Tweek’ the pitches from there?

Keep up the great work.

sigpic

Dean F. Hobart

Comment

• john527
                            john527 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            the blocks are from the late Dick Sidor, the bronze block is the only one we modified

Originally posted by john527 View Post
                          Couple more D mod wheels finished last week using our new bronze pitch block
                          bronze 1.jpg 2 new.jpg
                          Are you applying a hardening process when they are finished?
                          Chris Fabbro 2-F CSR / Carson Fabbro 95-F 25ssr, CSR, CSH, 300SSH / Greg Fabbro 63-F CSR, 25SSR

Comment

You can’t harden stainless. Hardness in stainless is attained from the metallurgical process. You can only anneal stainless ie. “soften”.

Comment

Working...
                            X